LIBERIA: Liberia 2022 Hunt Report

According to Gabon law, a foreigner can obtain a license and hunt under certain conditions, but only in special areas reserved for this purpose. It will also be like in Congo/Brazzaville, rather very restrictive. In the latter country there is only one area where foreigners can hunt, especially Bongo. The other area in the southwest near the border of Gabun is more questionable. Gabon does not have to be very attractive because I don't know any French outfitters that have it in their program.

The term chasse libre comes up again and again. I don't know what that means. In West Africa you often hunt without a PH as you know it in the southeast of South of Africa, but you still need local guides, above all good language knowledge and you have to be well acquainted with the mentality of the locals.

The term chasse libre comes up again and again. I don't know what that means. In West Africa you often hunt without a PH as you know it in the southeast of South of Africa, but you still need local guides, above all good language knowledge and you have to be well acquainted with the mentality of the locals.
Chasse libre, you have described perfectly.

At Tsala Safaris we do have options available in Gabon, Cameroon and Congo.
You are welcome to send us a pm anytime if you would like some more information.

Regards,
Rouan

I see myself capable of going back to Gabon now that I know what to expect and have the appropriate knowledge and contacts. Is an incredible country and the best part is that meanwhile it has lots of wildlife still not exploited.

Now, as I have mention over and over, is a tough hunt for which you need at least 5-7 hunting days to be successful, maybe even more.

Aside of Tsala and maybe 1 or 2 more outfitters, you better bring EVERYTHING that you may need with you. This includes full camping gear same as if you do a backpack solo hunt. Good thing is that locals will take the stuff for you across the jungle.

Hunting license as in most former french colonies is only a couple of dollars. You may only bag up to 3 animals per day,,, but there is no actual fee per animal you shoot. There are a lot of huntable species and in every rural village you'll see a sign specifying which anomalies you are allowed to hunt and which are protected. Needless to say, locals hunt for bushmeat and this means the take back home whatever they come across with.

I was paying an "incentive" of $10-$15 per animal for the entire group and I can tell you it worked.

There is a HUGE problem with alcohol and weed consumption. So expect guides to be drunk and high from dawn to dusk,,,

Time as we measure it in this part of the world is not a way of measuring things. I narrow it with the following system:
- "little time" or "now": means within an hour
- "later" means today at some point
- "not today" may mean anything between tomorrow and several weeks
*this is no joke.

All this Im talking expeditions where you jump on a pirogue for 2-3-4-5 days changing camp site every other day. REMOTE areas where the only white people visiting and scientists at the most once a year.

The only real expense on this hunt should be the driver+car ($250 per day) plus the plane ticket. Sure, you'll need to pay someone to get your paper work lined up (invitation letter, hunting license, "ordre de mission", etc). Have money always in your pocket because $10-$30 will take a LONG way. Once you leave behind the city and main roads, money is useless. Actually I rather leave it in the car because is a guarantee that the local guide/hunter will take you back.

For more info, feel free to ask.
Most likely ill come back in the next couple of years.
Here is a photo of "my" pirogue with the other 2 pirogues with the gear and the 6 porters. This was in the border with Cameroon. Also Im attaching a photo I took to a great tusker. I only take photos with my iPhone, so the quality is not the best.

86d704fa-cf97-4490-8ce0-6a7140622549.jpg
bea0a3e0-8338-42cc-9c18-8c161338cc40.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevertheless, be careful because the so-called chasse au noir, meant hunting with dubious permits, is over in Gabun. Unfortunately something like this is always a risk, especially for foreigners who don't know whether they are hunting legally or not. There is now a risk of penalties.

It's best to contact a reputable outfitter for hunting in such countries.

Nevertheless, be careful because the so-called chasse au noir, meant hunting with dubious permits, is over in Gabun. Unfortunately something like this is always a risk, especially for foreigners who don't know whether they are hunting legally or not. There is now a risk of penalties.

It's best to contact a reputable outfitter for hunting in such countries.

Agree completely. Even in more “mainstream” African hunting destinations you can find yourself in trouble for unknowingly violating local rules and regulations, or even just a local interpretation of what you thought you understood. While in Mozambique recently we found that one police officer at a checkpoint had an arcane interpretation of firearms regulations which could have caused us a serious issue, if our driver had been unable to reach someone in authority to speak to the person (which only changed her behavior for us, not for the next hunters . . .).

The more remote the location, the more you need to ensure you have, and rely on, competent local assistance.

Agree completely. Even in more “mainstream” African hunting destinations you can find yourself in trouble for unknowingly violating local rules and regulations, or even just a local interpretation of what you thought you understood. While in Mozambique recently we found that one police officer at a checkpoint had an arcane interpretation of firearms regulations which could have caused us a serious issue, if our driver had been unable to reach someone in authority to speak to the person (which only changed her behavior for us, not for the next hunters . . .).

The more remote the location, the more you need to ensure you have, and rely on, competent local assistance.
I have a ph friend that wants to do an exploration hunt in Mozambique. Only a third of his concession have been opened up. Sounds like a wild time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColetteJ48

Latest profile posts

BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.