Leupold CDS Feedback

Papa72

AH veteran
Reaction score
I just mounted a VX-6HD 1-6 CDS on my .375 Ruger African and am curious what opinions others have about the CDS feature. I have a pet 260gr Nosler Partition load that I plan to use for PG in 2025 with the thought that 200 yds would be my theoretical max shot, so inputting the numbers for my load to Leupold for the free CDS dial seems logical, right? How do these dials perform in the real world as opposed to simply zeroing the rifle for 200yds to begin with? Sure sounds magical to just move a dial from 0 to 2 and shoot!

Good: no dope sheet. Just range and dial appropriately to the distance if setup correctly

Bad: setup only for a specific cartridge. You'll have to know where zero is and count drop clicks manually per a dope sheet if you switch ammo

Kinda good: if you choose different cartridges that have very similar ballistics, you can probably get away with it

Round specific: They are dedicated to one specific round so some dont like that. Different round, your custom dial will not be accurate with it. Though as some point out, you can try it with a similarly ballistic round but I would personally not do so when hunting.

Elevation: Changes in elevation will effect your ballistics and you have to set your custom dial based on a specific elevation (actually a range in elevation). How much elevation affects your ballistics?, well, I am sure you can start a bar fight over that question but I think most would say you are good within a few thousand feet range of where you set it initially. My problem would be living at sea level and using a dial for around here, it will not be the right set up for 10000 feet in the Rockies, or Tajikistan or wherever.

I have tried a few CDS and I really want to like them but I always switch back to traditional dial with a range card. I also like that it forces me to understand my ballistics better when using a range card, etc... I really like this when teaching my son with his rifle. I cannot imagine a scenario where if the CDS goes down one is lost on how to shoot accurately.

Cheers

I have one on a single rifle that I use for hunting. As was mentioned, the ballistics on the dial is set up for a specific round, elevation, temperature and a couple other things. If anything changes the dope on the dial will also change. Perhaps not enough to miss the kill zone on a animal but it will change.

I live at 6500' and hunt anywhere from 2000' up to 10,000', with temperatures anywhere from below 0 to 90 degrees with that rifle scope combination. I have it set for 7,000' and 50 degrees. I also have that rifle sighted in at 250 yards so my point blank sighting distance is just over 300 yards.

Most of the time I don't even bother with the dial and just shoot the animal. I did use it one time on a coues deer at 420 yards and hit right where I was aiming. I still have the printed dope for the round that I shoot taped to the rifle stock.

I have two, a MK5 and a VX5. They are both on specialty LR rifles. I see absolutely no point to them inside 400 yards.

I currently can’t imagine another hunting scenario for this rifle and scope other than my 2025 Buff/PG trip so the CDS dial settings will be limited to 200yds anyway. Kinda silly to even be fidgeting with it but I like detail…and the first dial is free.

I currently can’t imagine another hunting scenario for this rifle and scope other than my 2025 Buff/PG trip so the CDS dial settings will be limited to 200yds anyway. Kinda silly to even be fidgeting with it but I like detail…and the first dial is free.

I absolutely would not use one in that application. In fact I would not have it on the scope. Just something else that can break.

Been there done that. Takes too long in the real hunting world. Know you bullet trajectory and just hunt. From my experience all the additional stuff is fun at the range and for day dreaming. When the hunt comes most if not all goes out the window.

Custom made turrets for your made for your muzzle velocity, bullet BC, air density and temp are fun to play with. They are usually free with better scope. You can range the object dial the turret and shoot.

Here my son in law is walking out a 7 rem mag to 600 yards. Started at 100 and dialed the turret for each increasing range. All dead nuts.

So very quickly dialed the range and wasn’t guessing hold over. A reticle can do it also but takes a lot of trigger time and dope

Here is a small metal ram at just under 600 yards. He was standing, shooting off 3 legged big pod shooting sticks.

This isn’t an African hunting setup though.
IMG_3689.jpeg

I use them on several rifles for me and my daughters. I absolutely love them. It is still easier to make small adjustments for temp, elev, etc than on a regular scope. I’ve used them in Africa multiple times on multiple rifles with no issues. If it’s 200 or under I don’t touch it. If it’s longer, I have a second to make the adjustments.
I have several turrets for the same scope so I can chamge Them out for coyotes in the spring and elk in the fall for example. I find I don’t change them out and resight very often, generally just picking a different rifle.
It’s a nice tool, I think on your set up youll find you don’t adjust it much. But it’s nice to have when you need it.

I have them on all my rifles from .223 on up to 404 Jeffery. I have found them to be accurate out to 400 yards on game. Shot a couple of deer and a pig between 300 and 400 yards this past season. Granted this was from a stand and I had plenty of time to range and dial before the shot. Doubt I’ll ever need to dial in the 404 Jeffery or the 416 Rem I’m having built but I am glad to have it on my 375 H&H for the chance on a PG animal out 300 yards, I’d feel very confident in the scope and the rifle’s ability to make the shot if I were to do my part.

I have them on several of my rifles. Especially those that have the ability to shoot longer ranges.
I love them and my dials are built for the specific hand load I have developed for that caliber. I have always found them very accurate, even when compared to the ballistic apps I use.
They are very simple and I really enjoy using them.

Unless you’re using them on a rifle to shoot past 300-400 yards it’s a waste of time. Especially shooting at big game where you have at least a 8”x8” target to hit.

It wasn’t that long along that Weatherby lead the industry with a guaranteed 1 1/2” group at 100 yards. And folks were shooting game with a 270 and 30-06 at 300-400 yards with a 4 power scope. Read Jack O’Conners account of hunting sheep with a 270 and a weaver 4 power scope.

I was going to post the same question asking about the CDS system and how good they actually are. I know they are specifically for a specified load/temp/Altitude and so on, Allot of good information/opinions here - thanks. I think I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing and stick with my setup.

200 yard zero is all you need in my opinion, couldn’t imagine dialing with a 375 off sticks in the heat of battle, then dialing it back in case it gets up close and personal, then adjusting the mag. No thanks

I have 2, one is on a .375 Ruger Alaskan, (1x6x24)) it’s set at 100yds but I haven’t used it hunting only at the range. It works well but I only probably wouldn’t have gotten it except I may need it hunting whitetail one day.
The other is on a7mm Remington magnum (3x18x42) the only time I used it hunting was on a Wyoming mule deer buck, he was ranged at 456 yards with no way to get closer. I dialed 450 and worked as advertised. Dead in his tracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)