Lee Factory Crimp Die for .470 NE

Wahoo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hi all. Just sharing info in case it’s helpful. Likely redundant for many of you guys. I just ordered a Lee Factory Crimp die for my .470. Lee Precision was very nice and helpful.

My process thus far-
1- Call Lee Precision. Ask to order custom crimp die.
2- they create the order, charge your card and request you send a dummy round ( no powder/primer). I loaded an A-frame into case to depth/COAL I wanted and mailed to them in bubble mailer USPS. (shockingly they received it 48 hrs later and I wasn’t tackled in post office for shipping bombs etc)
3-I now wait 6-8 weeks although they stated likely shorter.

Important info I learned-
1-.470 is considered a “large” format due by Lee. What does this mean? It will have a 1 1/4 - 12 thread. This is important as it fits a Lee press. I do not have a Lee press. I have an RCBS Ammomaster II. My press can accommodate 7/8-14 threaded dies with bushing inserted or 1 1/2-12 threaded dies with bushing removed. Solution? Lee sells a bushing adapter to reduce 1 1/2-12 to the 1 1/4-12 thread so die will work with out buying new press.
2- .470 Custom Lee Factory Crimp Die is more expensive than standard Lee Factory Crimp Dies.

Price as of today -
Die- $125
Bushing adapter- $12
Shipping (WI to northwest IL- $11.50
Credit card convenience fee-$5.20
Grand total - $153.70

Good info and man oh man have the prices gone up. I had a 404 Jeffery FCD made about 5 years ago and I seem to recall it was about $45 or $50.

Interestingly ( and I’m sure this is supply and demand at work and as usual I chose the hard way) other large crimp dies like .50 BMG are half ish this price.

Although in my novice opinion this seems a relatively low percentage of my sunk costs in entering the world of double rifles and money well spent

Hi all. Just sharing info in case it’s helpful. Likely redundant for many of you guys. I just ordered a Lee Factory Crimp die for my .470. Lee Precision was very nice and helpful.

My process thus far-
1- Call Lee Precision. Ask to order custom crimp die.
2- they create the order, charge your card and request you send a dummy round ( no powder/primer). I loaded an A-frame into case to depth/COAL I wanted and mailed to them in bubble mailer USPS. (shockingly they received it 48 hrs later and I wasn’t tackled in post office for shipping bombs etc)
3-I now wait 6-8 weeks although they stated likely shorter.

Important info I learned-
1-.470 is considered a “large” format due by Lee. What does this mean? It will have a 1 1/4 - 12 thread. This is important as it fits a Lee press. I do not have a Lee press. I have an RCBS Ammomaster II. My press can accommodate 7/8-14 threaded dies with bushing inserted or 1 1/2-12 threaded dies with bushing removed. Solution? Lee sells a bushing adapter to reduce 1 1/2-12 to the 1 1/4-12 thread so die will work with out buying new press.
2- .470 Custom Lee Factory Crimp Die is more expensive than standard Lee Factory Crimp Dies.

Price as of today -
Die- $125
Bushing adapter- $12
Shipping (WI to northwest IL- $11.50
Credit card convenience fee-$5.20
Grand total - $153.70
My only question is if you are shooting a DR why would you need to crimp? Bolt actions totally get but in a DR i just don’t see it after having a lot of experience with big bore DRs

I suppose I’d phone a friend to someone more experienced than I however when I do get to stare at something angry I’d sure hate to have recoil having pulled my bullet in the left barrel. I guess I’m thinking I’d feel a little naked.

If by being less lazy and taking one more step makes me more effective I call it a win? I’m happy to be educated as I’m a complete novice at all of this.

I commend you for your thoroughness. In a DR with my now almost a thousand 470 rounds reloaded never any need to crimp in my DR. In a bolt action the friction and pressure on the stacked bullets can cause bullet slippage…I get it. In a DR this just does not happen. I just don’t want new reloader a shooting in DRs thinking they must crimp there bullets when in my experience they do not

My only question is if you are shooting a DR why would you need to crimp? Bolt actions totally get but in a DR i just don’t see it after having a lot of experience with big bore DRs
There's still a lot of momentum there that when it comes to an abrupt stop against you could result in the bullet not stopping when the case does. Depends on load and neck tension I suppose. The thing I think I'm certain of is that it doesn't hurt.

I appreciate the insight from an experienced member. Is there any downside or danger to appropriate crimping of a .470 ?

At any rate just passing on info in the event anyone felt a need to crimp .470 with something other than using their seating die. Hope it helps

There's still a lot of momentum there that when it comes to an abrupt stop against you could result in the bullet not stopping when the case does. Depends on load and neck tension I suppose. The thing I think I'm certain of is that it doesn't hurt.
Very fair point! Particularly if it gives the reloader confidence in their finished product before shooting

Its not only recoil that can cause bullets to move in the case. Sometimes something as simple as being bounced around in a vehicle can be enough to do it and I say that from personal experience. Serious ammo intended for serious hunts should be crimped. Why take a chance when its so easy to prevent.

Okay, I'm recovering my composure over the very strong confidence in very incorrect facts on this forum.

You ALWAYS crimp large bore and magnum rounds. The reason being is that the bullet can lodge in the magazine or in the chamber under recoil if there isn't a crimp.

When does this happen in the real world? Whether a double rifle or a magazine rifle, the tendency is to top-off the gun after firing. Bang on first shot, chase the game, fill er up. This rinse-repeat can mean that the bottom round in a magazine or the round in the left barrel has succumbed to multiple recoil cycles.

So if its going to fail and kill you, its going to do it on an actual hunt in the heat of topping off.

Okay, I'm recovering my composure over the very strong confidence in very incorrect facts on this forum.

You ALWAYS crimp large bore and magnum rounds. The reason being is that the bullet can lodge in the magazine or in the chamber under recoil if there isn't a crimp.

When does this happen in the real world? Whether a double rifle or a magazine rifle, the tendency is to top-off the gun after firing. Bang on first shot, chase the game, fill er up. This rinse-repeat can mean that the bottom round in a magazine or the round in the left barrel has succumbed to multiple recoil cycles.

So if its going to fail and kill you, its going to do it on an actual hunt in the heat of topping off.

You certainly make a good point, but I think it could’ve been done with a bit less condescension.

You certainly make a good point, but I think it could’ve been done with a bit less condescension.

Maybe. But its hard to withhold scorn and ridicule when someone teases another for doing the safe thing. Those things need to get swatted down with a firm hand out of reverence for human safety.

Stranger reading this thread...don't kill yourself by cutting a corner that is essential.

As RB says “Better safe then sorry”

I said I completely agree with your example of a bolt action…my comment was in a double rifle…after almost 1,000 rounds I never had a problem whatsoever and I don’t crimp…absolutely do for my bolt action rifles…I said if it gives a DR confidence by crimping by all means do so…I don’t in my DRs and have no problem not doing so

So in a double wisdom is to fire both barrels first before or after reload. R , followed by Left

I said I completely agree with your example of a bolt action…my comment was in a double rifle…after almost 1,000 rounds I never had a problem whatsoever and I don’t crimp…absolutely do for my bolt action rifles…I said if it gives a DR confidence by crimping by all means do so…I don’t in my DRs and have no problem not doing so
I trust the first addition written by Graeme Wright more than anyone on this forum when it comes to double rifles. I refer everyone to pages 28 and 29 where in spite of @rook hawks ridiculing me which is fine Graeme says he does not crimp big bore double rifles. If people don’t own this book I highly recommend you buying it if you both own a DR and reload. There is no better out there and I follow it religiously regardless of any other opinions

I can’t see any reason not to crimp, unless I had to do it with bullet seating die. I have had less than satisfactory results.
The Lee factory crimp die is the only way to crimp in my opinion.
Thanks for sharing how easy it was to acquire the die.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeFranke

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.