Kudu mounts? Low-ish ceiling

wildfowler.250

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Well folks, I’m sure this has been asked numerous times on here but I’m needing some real life experience.

The ‘reloading’ room where anything boy related can go in without many questions asked is 2M high.
I’d a red stag pedestal mount that I was really pleased with a couple of years ago. Detachable antlers for ease of transport. Blooming mount wouldn’t fit in in the room by 2-3” with the antlers on - the other half did take this very well. It now resides in the living room which is 2.5M high.

This isn’t likely to be our forever home. Is it practical to fit a kudu into a 2M heigh room on a low base?
Or will it likely be going downstairs? And will it even fit in a 2.5M room??

Appreciate a really low base might make the mount look stupid as well but I do like the idea of the stands as they are more portable where wall space might be limited.

Thanks!

This 55” kudu’s original home was a six foot alcove in our basement in our previous home. It is all in the tilt of the head.

IMG_0150.jpeg

This 55” kudu’s original home was a six foot alcove in our basement in our previous home. It is all in the tilt of the head.

View attachment 593503

That room is top notch. Love it!

I did wonder about the head position. I’ll keep that in mind. Also could maybe shave 2” off the stand but I think the whole point of the pedestal is that the animal is at eye level I suppose

That room is top notch. Love it!

I did wonder about the head position. I’ll keep that in mind. Also could maybe shave 2” off the stand but I think the whole point of the pedestal is that the animal is at eye level I suppose
This one fit in a 6 ft alcove. The head is lower than eye level and looks great. The pedestal is armrest high to the chairs.

I would go with a pedestal mount like @Red Leg , I have my kudu as a full sneak wall pedestal with a fairly hard left turn. His footprint is fairly small for a 700# animal. His horns aren’t the biggest really worn down and an Eastern Cape kudu.

Red Leg, sorry for snooping around in your previous basement. Is this a War Club ?View attachment 593533
I am pretty sure we are hijacking @wildfowler.250 's thread. :E Angel: :E Shrug: But, you are actually looking at the current trophy room. I shot the kudu in 2008 and it stood in a low alcove only six feet high in our basement in Northern Virginia where we lived until 2013. The weapons above the door are Arab. The top blade is Arab Peninsula and dates to the second half of the 19th century. The second is circa 1780 and was made in Zanzibar using a European blade. The musket is a classic Arab Jezail from either North Africa or the Arab Peninsula. I suspect the latter if for no other reason because I found it in the antique souk (market) in Riyadh in the '86 or '87. The lower blade is a Moroccan Nimcha (short sword) dating to the late 19th century.

arab.jpg

I do have a couple of clubs that might interest you. The larger one is a mystery. It came from a well respected antique weapons dealer identified as a rare form of Zulu war club. That could be true, but I have never seen another. Due to its very heavy weight, I am very confident it is East African, but which tribal group I am unsure.

The second is a classic Zulu Iwisa or Knobkerrie. It came out of an estate in the UK and was a battlefield pickup. The young soldier who brought it home had a silver plaque affixed with his rank Name and "Zululand 1879."
club.jpg

club2.jpg

I have two kudu capes waiting for me two open up the trophy room ceiling. In the meantime I have three skulls mounted to the walls. Kudu make impressive euro mounts. For floor mount pedestals I think head turned and horns tilted back makes the most sense for low ceilings but that mount will cut into floor space considerably.
20231218_154328.jpg

Basically the same form as redleg but mounted on a burnt off cedar stump. Could have cut the stump taller or shorter to accommodate 7 foot 8 inch basement ceiling height. I have a second kudu being mounted that will sit lower than the first bull on the same stump.
The beauty of pedestal mounts is they work in a tall or short room-lots of modern pedestal specific poses avaialble these days. Waterbuck also pedestal custom fit for my basement, sorry it’s hard to get good photos in that room
IMG_9064.jpeg

Well folks, I’m sure this has been asked numerous times on here but I’m needing some real life experience.

The ‘reloading’ room where anything boy related can go in without many questions asked is 2M high.
I’d a red stag pedestal mount that I was really pleased with a couple of years ago. Detachable antlers for ease of transport. Blooming mount wouldn’t fit in in the room by 2-3” with the antlers on - the other half did take this very well. It now resides in the living room which is 2.5M high.

This isn’t likely to be our forever home. Is it practical to fit a kudu into a 2M heigh room on a low base?
Or will it likely be going downstairs? And will it even fit in a 2.5M room??

Appreciate a really low base might make the mount look stupid as well but I do like the idea of the stands as they are more portable where wall space might be limited.

Thanks!

Welcome to AH.

Here is a photo of my 59 inch kudu wall mount on a 7 feet 9 inch wall.
20200831_190923.jpg
20200831_190951.jpg

If I remember correctly it's somewhere around 23 inches from the floor to the hump at the base of the neck and around 4 inches from the tip of the right horn to the ceiling. I don't remember the distance from wall to tip of nose. I'll just that it does stick out into the room.

My home does not currently have ceiling space; we are considering a home addition, though the only contractor in town is two for two, as in two years in a row with a serious snowmachine injury, so I don't have a timeline.

My one kudu mount is currently on the wall of my office, above my computer, because my office - though comically small, has high enough ceilings. Which doesn't help you one iota, does it?

P1060173.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.