PAST Shoulder Pad?

@PCC600 - I also like the ”Standing” type bench (when possible) and agree they can at least “double” the amount of rounds fired with minimal recoil affects.
But “40 Rounds” of .577 & .505 !! —- using a Hard-rubber-pad? You’ve got some damn tough shoulders (or the recoil rattled your Brain so much - You Lost Count !)
What I didn’t say was I then shot a 177 HMR rifle and honestly couldn’t hear or feel if I’d pulled the trigger . Weighing 280 pounds plus also helps when shooting the shoulder cannons .

What I didn’t say was I then shot a 177 HMR rifle and honestly couldn’t hear or feel if I’d pulled the trigger . Weighing 280 pounds plus also helps when shooting the shoulder cannons .
Seems like a terrific way to get a horrible flinch.

I use an Evoshield recoil pad / T shirt. A very thin pad that custom molds to your shoulder area. Works great.
Same here. Frequently out-of-stock, but very effective at reducing felt recoil.

Yes, I have one of the magnum ones, and have used it extensively while working with my 375 H&H. Once I transition to shooting off the sticks, I didn't use again. Good stuff.

I use the medium one at the range, it helps with heavy calibers.

Not hunting, it´s stiff and uncomfortable.

I use the medium one at the range, it helps with heavy calibers.

Not hunting, it´s stiff and uncomfortable.
I agree with @Nyati on this. The PAST Magnum pad works, but uncomfortable, for me, it rides up on the shoulder, and I have to readjust every couple of shots on the range. Also, as others stated, it is thick and affects the LOP, on some rifles affect the gun mount.

For a strap on pad, Limbsaver makes one thinner than the PAST, works as well or better. I didn't know about these, but my shooting buddy bought one for me and I really like it, my go to.

Browning also makes a pad, to be sewn into your shooting jacket, vest, or shirt called the Reactar.

I have a Reactar pad sewn into my thin, cotton shooting jacket, works almost as well as the Limbsaver strap on and comfortable. I also use it when bird hunting with my 12-gauge double. Gun mount is easy.

Definitely use a shooting pad for the bigger bores. When I moved up from .375 H&H to 416 Rigby, a shooting pad became essential equipment. I could go from shooting 4-5 rounds proficiently, to up to 20 rounds. That's just me, rifle fit, stock dimensions, powder charge, form all make a difference. A shooting pad always improved proficiency. And reduced the tendency to flinch.

Agree. Not useful when hunting but a help particularly off of the bench.

I ordered the magnum PAST pad and it is supposed to be here Monday or Tuesday. Well, I was in my local gun store Saturday afternoon and they had the regular ones so I picked one up, figured I’d give it a try. Took the 458 Win out for a spin this afternoon. I had the PAST pad on underneath a Tag Safari shooting shirt that also has a small pad and I could tell that setup helped quite a bit with recoil. I was able to get 3 shots off in quick succession with the thread protector and not the muzzle break. A tad high but very good left and right at 50 yards. This was not with the ammo I will be hunting with so I didn’t bother with making any scope adjustments. Hopefully the ammo I’ll be hunting with will come in this week and I can get it dialed in next weekend. Appreciate the input on the pad y’all, it really helped.
IMG_7386.jpeg

I have used a PAST pad often for training new shooters. I also use one myself if I am going to shoot a lot of rounds from a gun without a recoil pad. A steel buttplate on a milsurp rifle is a great reason to own a PAST pad!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GildaHarkn

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….