Just Joined from Alaska

I thought Great Northern Guns closed.

And yes, @David AK 53 and @Velo Dog , Great Northern Guns closed in September. One owner had recently passed away, the other decided it was time to retire. Great shop, found all my 375 Ruger needs in there.

And yes, @David AK 53 and @Velo Dog , Great Northern Guns closed in September. One owner had recently passed away, the other decided it was time to retire. Great shop, found all my 375 Ruger needs in there.
Great Northern Guns is open again. bought some bullets and brass from them yesterday.

@Rotaman, welcome to AH. a great place to learn find deals and hear from kindred spirits.

Giday Rotaman and welcome to the A H forums

I thought Great Northern Guns closed.

Hello David AK 53 & all Alaska residents,

Yes, they did close but, that was yesterday’s sad news.
Fast forward to now, 1dirthawker is correct, Great Northern Guns is open again and all of us local rifle grumps rejoice.
The new owner, Niels Green had bought the name, the building and the inventory.
He’s shined the place up a lot inside and has filled every square inch with firearms for sale, of pretty much every description.
Thankfully, most of the guns there are pre-owned / 2nd hand, (my favorite firearms category).

If any of you make it to the Wasilla Gun Show this weekend and want to throw rotten tomatoes at me, I’m described as an older geezer, with a wide, gun fighter’s mustache, however Snow White it is with the years and I’ll be wearing the same old and well stained fedora, shown here in my Avatar.

Anyway, cheers to all,
Velo Dog.

Welcome aboard!

PS:
I’ve no idea why my satanic cell phone decided to capitalize the words “Snow White” but, I failed to notice it until the 30 minute edit window had closed.
Perhaps it thought I was writing about the main character in the child’s fable by that same name.
Blah blah whatever.

Welcome to AH! You will fit right in!

Hello David AK 53 & all Alaska residents,

Yes, they did close but, that was yesterday’s sad news.
Fast forward to now, 1dirthawker is correct, Great Northern Guns is open again and all of us local rifle grumps rejoice.
The new owner, Niels Green had bought the name, the building and the inventory.
He’s shined the place up a lot inside and has filled every square inch with firearms for sale, of pretty much every description.
Thankfully, most of the guns there are pre-owned / 2nd hand, (my favorite firearms category).

If any of you make it to the Wasilla Gun Show this weekend and want to throw rotten tomatoes at me, I’m described as an older geezer, with a wide, gun fighter’s mustache, however Snow White it is with the years and I’ll be wearing the same old and well stained fedora, shown here in my Avatar.

Anyway, cheers to all,
Velo Dog.

Glad to learn about the resurrection of GNG!

I‘m a long-time Alaska resident who has enjoyed big game hunting and adventure camping. An African safari is on my dream list, and I’m saving steadily with a goal of 2025. In the meantime, I’m hunting as many Alaska game animals as I can. I particularly enjoy hunting with my 1929 Muchler drilling in 16x16x8x57JR and seek to take as many different game species with that one firearm as I can. To date, I have taken brown bear, black bear, caribou, crane, ducks, ptarmigan and grouse with it. Haven’t scored a moose with that particular gun yet, but I’m working on it.

Welcome in the best forum.​

I am very surprised (and pleased) that an American and Alaskan hunter carries a Drilling, the classic (former) weapon of a German hunter. I love my Drilling as well, it has the same calibre as yours.
Is it possible that it is a Müchler Drilling ( with Ü ) ??
Then your rifle could be good 100 years old, as is mine.
I belive Müchler Gunssmith' were in the 20ies.
The 8x57 IR is the original, old German Infantry cartridge.
Do you still have the original barrels on it?
Because of the ravages of time (rust) I had to have the bullet barrel replaced and had the stronger 8x57IRS fitted. In practice I don't notice any difference.
In your avatar, behind your bear, you seem to have a Winchester in your arm (in Germany, a real Lever Action is only coming from Winchester - John Wayne sends his regards :cool: ).
Then, the current post must be of interest.
"Why no lever-action rifle for elephants?"
Tell us about this bearhunt please(and the others).
Best wishes from Munich
Foxi

Welcome to this great forum! Enjoy the site!

Welcome to AH! Planning is half the fun!

Welcome aboard Rotaman. How about a photo of your drilling? When you hunt with it, do you load just for what you are going after, or all barrels should targets of opportunity arise?

I‘m a long-time Alaska resident who has enjoyed big game hunting and adventure camping. An African safari is on my dream list, and I’m saving steadily with a goal of 2025. In the meantime, I’m hunting as many Alaska game animals as I can. I particularly enjoy hunting with my 1929 Muchler drilling in 16x16x8x57JR and seek to take as many different game species with that one firearm as I can. To date, I have taken brown bear, black bear, caribou, crane, ducks, ptarmigan and grouse with it. Haven’t scored a moose with that particular gun yet, but I’m working on it.
Welcome to AH!

Great to set yourself a realistic goal! Only problem is you wont only come over once!

Kind regards,
Dempsey Bayly & Michael Sippel

@Rotaman ... Welcome aboard from yet another Alaskan. (I'm in Dillingham and am coming up on 20 years here).

Welcome to AH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LimbNoMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.