illuminated reticle

gearguywb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
S. Africa, Namibia, Alaska, Germany
Looking for a low power (magnification) with something like Leupold's fire dot...in a 1" tube.

It appears that if you go with illuminated reticle of some type, then you are going to need a 30mm tube.

I have take a look at the offerings from Trijicon and Leupold. Anything else I should look at or just make the decision to go with a 30mm tube?

I am not aware of any low powered one inch tube scopes with an illuminated reticle. The only options are 30mm or larger.

I have a 3rd gen 1 inch 3-9x on my 375

With illuminated reticle? What make/model?
Yes red or green or plain reticle
have no clue model ( as someone had it coated with the rifle it came with) and the make is covered
IMG_0871.jpeg

I use the Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42 with illuminated reticle on all of my big bores. Love it.
Do not scrimp on optics when you are going on an expensive hunt.

I use the Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42 with illuminated reticle on all of my big bores. Love it.
I had faced the same problem...I decided to dogcat1's point, for the cost of $129 I just bought 30MM scope rings to replace my 1 inch then bought a Leupold illuminated scope in 30MM. Very happy with it and it is going with me on my leapard 25 hunt in Moz.

I just changed to 30mm 1-4x non-illuminated. I was concerned about the height so I switched to an older Weaver one-piece base for my 98 Mauser 404J that's lower than the semi-pic rail it wore with 1" scope. No worries. Great rapid acquisition with Warne low QD rings. The 30mm scope is not as svelte looking as the sleeker 1" scope, but it works. I was concerned the Weaver base had the ring grooves a bit compressed. But it loads fine.
20240327_144244.jpg

20240327_144133.jpg

PS: The stock is a work in progress

I would suggest biting the bullet and mounting 30mm, especially if you're hung up on lighted reticle. But keep it low! That may be a problem depending on the rings and bases you prefer. It's nice to maintain classic lines, but nicer to put that gun to your shoulder and have the charging buffalo appear instantly in the crosshairs. Also, you'll want to have a straight back hold on guns with severe recoil = cheek down on the comb as much as possible.

Looking for a low power (magnification) with something like Leupold's fire dot...in a 1" tube.

It appears that if you go with illuminated reticle of some type, then you are going to need a 30mm tube.

I have take a look at the offerings from Trijicon and Leupold. Anything else I should look at or just make the decision to go with a 30mm tube?
Not aware of any in a 1” tube. Go with the 30 mm that you like best and fits your budget. I will say I really like the Leupold firedot. I have illuminated Christmas tree type reticles for long range shooting from Vortex and Nightforce. Also have an illuminated Boone and Crockett reticle on a Leupold VX6. The advantage of illumination is that it makes the reticle more visible in low light or against a black background (i.e. black bear) obviously. I find the firedot (or something similar) where only your aiming point is illuminated to really draw your eye to your aiming point which is ideal on a hunting rifle. The best reticles of this type I am aware of are the Leupold Firedot and Swarovski 4AF-i? Reticle.

A busy illuminated reticle can impair visibility at night IMO so a simple reticle is best for hunting IMO.

I also like the simple reticle of the Leupold Firedot, but prefer the glass and controls of the Leica Amplus series. However, both of those are 30mm tubes.

I understand the OP's quest for a good-quality illuminated 1" tube, as I've been contemplating something similar. In my case, it involves claw mounts. New 30mm rings can be fashioned for them, but at very nearly the cost of the scope.

Concur, this is about the best set up I am familiar with. Check with R&M firearms and Mark will get you set up. Sponsor here.

Concur, this is about the best set up I am familiar with. Check with R&M firearms and Mark will get you set up. Sponsor here.
While both Swaro and Leupold illuminated scopes are great I found the Leupold allows more horizontal tweaking than the Swaro which is the only reason I changed to Leupold for my leopard hunt

Reactions: USN
Trijicon makes a lighted reticle in a one inch scope

I am not aware of any low powered one inch tube scopes with an illuminated reticle. The only options are 30mm or larger.
Trijicon accupoint 1-6

How low is low? I just bought a Burris. It's 2.5-10. It's a one inch tube. I haven't hunted it yet - maybe spring bear next month? - but I like it an awful lot at the range.

P1030132.jpg

Why do you need an illuminated reticle? What will you be hunting?

Most of my rifles run a normal reticle. I have a Leupold VX6 1-6x IL plex on my .375 but that’s mostly because I intend to hunt Cape Buff. A black reticle on black hide washes out…hence the red-illuminated dot for that gun.

I could also see how a lighted ret would be awesome for leopard. Or any kind of low light shooting.

For my deer rifles? Standard Reticle. My Plains game safari rifles? Yep, standard reticle. I have one 308 I like to use on Hogs…that one is an IL reticle. What I’ve learned is that if it’s so dark I can no longer make out the reticle, then I should call it a day. Odds are I probably can’t identify the animal at that point either.

Trijicon accupoint 1-6
Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 has a 30mm tube. The long discontinued 1.25-4 Accupoint had a one inch tube.

Last edited:

Hawke Riflescopes are 1" tubes with illumination, and pretty good eye relief.

Haven't bought one yet, so I can't speak to anything like clarity or durability, but they seem to have a pretty good reputation. They are the next new scope I'll be trying out.

@Ontario Hunter What are your thoughts on that Bushnell scope? How does it handle recoil? I got one and am thinking of putting it on my 458.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SelenaE94

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH