Hammer Bullets

Gbflyer, have you shot anything other than paper with the 338 Federal using the hammer.

Yes. Head shot Sitka deer. Anything works for that. I’ll duck for cover now. It’s harvesting not hunting so cut me some slack.

I was starting to establish a load with them at 100 yards. A 5 shot ladder with a 1gr per round increase basically made the hole bigger. It scared me to death. It usually doesn’t work that way for me. Tikka rifle with an X-Caliber barrel.

I am going to Africa in April with Steve and a few other guys, I have found the accuracy in my 30.06 with 152 gr Hammer Hunter to be great .451 at 125 yards and only took me 7 shots to find the load.this will be my first time hunting with the Hammer bullets and will be interesting to see how they work.we will probably harvest about 25-30 animals for 5 guys. will be fun

These seem to be very similar to the CEB Maximus bullet in design.

From my understanding of the CEB design the petals radiate outward instead of following the shank

Just to keep things interesting, One whitetail management buck that I shot with .45-70 at 110 yards showed similar large holes in the chest. The .458 300 grain Nosler Partition Protected Point took out two ribs going in and 4 going out. No damage to edible meat. Muzzle velocity was 1850 fps.

Same type .458 bullet hand loaded to 2200 fps flattened a BIG male Leopard in Africa from 20 yards.

Reviving an old thread, looking at the folks who loaded some of these up for DG rifles. How'd they work out?

Thats just been pounded with the tenderising Hammer.

I agree it's a lot of damage but each hit is likely different and varies with shot placement.

Dead Deer don't run.
I have shot well over a hundred deer, seven moose, thirteen elk, twenty-seven plains game, and two buffalo. All kinds of shot placement and bullets. I have NEVER seen that kind of damage to meat. Nothing remotely close.

Dead deer at any cost? Then why not hunt with a grenade launcher? Blowing a beautiful animal to bits just doesn't fit in my book of ethics. We all want them to die quick ... but there is a line between bang-flop and wasting game.

Also check out Ron Spomer. He shot a buffalo last year and is going for elephant this year. The crazy thing is he’s using the 270gr LeverHammer for the elephant. I really hope it goes well.
I checked his YT channel, don't see anything about the buff hunt. I know he's becoming a pretty big advocate for Hammer.

I have shot well over a hundred deer, seven moose, thirteen elk, twenty-seven plains game, and two buffalo. All kinds of shot placement and bullets. I have NEVER seen that kind of damage to meat. Nothing remotely close.

Dead deer at any cost? Then why not hunt with a grenade launcher? Blowing a beautiful animal to bits just doesn't fit in my book of ethics. We all want them to die quick ... but there is a line between bang-flop and wasting game.

In my next post I see I wrote that I mainly shoot pests as I have often said here.

In Australia all of our huntable species are introduced and generally regarded a pest to be controlled.

We still have trophy hunters and meat hunters but they are still introduced species that so are often the subject of pest management debates. I have worked in Agriculture, Biosecurity and Conservation as well as incorporating hunting as a lifestyle choice.

I hunt for meat occasionally. I'm not suggesting we waste meat but there is no such thing as overkill if you want the target species to stay down.

No concerns with you harvesting a beautiful species for a trophy that's hunting but someone is just showing the effectiveness of these projectiles for putting game down. Each to their own on this because I'm an active member on the HammerTime forum too.

I've known Aussies who use a .338wm for hunting and have a friend who's now trialling his .425 express hunting because he likes big Boomer's and is targeting Sambar in thick country.

My first Fallow Deer was headshot with a .223 Rem700 Varmint rifle opportunistically and nothing was wasted .

Reviving an old thread, looking at the folks who loaded some of these up for DG rifles. How'd they work out?
I know of 2 individuals that used the 404 gr. Shock Hammer on buffalo. 1 loaded his to 2400+ FPS & other 1 loaded his to 2500+ FPS. They both hit big mature Cape Buffalo in the shoulder both exited and obliterated the heart both buffalo moved more than a few steps and were done.

Looks like you hit that deer with a rocket launcher. I’ve shot plenty of deer with a 12ga at close to medium range. Never have I seen that level of devastation. I’m a big fan of meat saving, so I would have been impressed by the round. Would have had a pissed off wife, since she enjoys eating venison as much as I do.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen - you'll like this blog post. Spomer loaded up his 270 gr Shock Hammers atop 80 gr CFE223 for just over 2900 fps
@sgt_zim
Until I had a look at the story I thought it was 80gn of CFE223 in a Whelen. I was thinking wow that's bullshit I can only get 70gn in the Whelen with a 225gn Sierra game king for 2,900fps and that's max.

By the way that game king load is very impressive and flat shooting.
Now wonder,it shakes the little 338WM up and asks why do I need a 338.
I looked and saw it was a 375H&H. Those are pretty impressive velocities out of the old girl.

CFE223 is a great powder as you have discovered in your 308, me in the Whelen and now Ron Spomer.
I should have kept my big mouth shut about how good it is. Now everyone will want some.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Lucky I stocked up before they stopped importing it into Australia.
Bob

@sgt_zim
Until I had a look at the story I thought it was 80gn of CFE223 in a Whelen. I was thinking wow that's bullshit I can only get 70gn in the Whelen with a 225gn Sierra game king for 2,900fps and that's max.

By the way that game king load is very impressive and flat shooting.
Now wonder,it shakes the little 338WM up and asks why do I need a 338.
I looked and saw it was a 375H&H. Those are pretty impressive velocities out of the old girl.

CFE223 is a great powder as you have discovered in your 308, me in the Whelen and now Ron Spomer.
I should have kept my big mouth shut about how good it is. Now everyone will want some.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Lucky I stocked up before they stopped importing it into Australia.
Bob
I'm about to start doing more LD for my youngest son's 308, looking at going with 156 gr Hammer Hunters, I think I'm going to try 2000MR for those since I have about 9# of it and am down to about 3.5 or 4 lbs of CFE223. Looks like i should be able to get to 2800 or a little faster with either of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GildaHarkn

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….