Hammer Bullets

jwp475

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
From left to right .458 caliber 404 grain Shock Hammer. Middle is a .416 caliber 300 grain Shock Hammer and 3rd is .358 caliber 220 grain Hammer Hunter
Will be doing some 20% Clear Ballistics gell test soon

20220222_171816.jpg

Would love to see the results!

So far I have taken 9 antelope with them, and my son used my rifles last year to take at least 3 more.

1 shot, 1 kill each.
As I have said, if an animal is hit by them they are going to die. Usually that's soon.
Never took a meat damage photo, but also never recovered a bullet as they always pass through. I have seen only 1 or 2 petal pieces recovered.

So far I have taken 9 antelope with them, and my son used my rifles last year to take at least 3 more.

1 shot, 1 kill each.
As I have said, if an animal is hit by them they are going to die. Usually that's soon.
Never took a meat damage photo, but also never recovered a bullet as they always pass through. I have seen only 1 or 2 petal pieces recovered.

Test results from media that I have seen shows the petals travel with the shank to near the end of penetration.

This is a deer shot between 180 and 200 yards 220 grain Hammer Hunter

20211027_102227.jpg
20211027_102147.jpg

I've been reading a lot on Hammers lately.

Getting mixed results on accuracy but that's probably my part on my rushed load development.

I found a winner in my .308.
IMG_20220223_201437.jpg

Im quite interested in what you learn from the ballistic gel, particularly the .358 220 grain Hammer Hunter.

Im quite interested in what you learn from the ballistic gel, particularly the .358 220 grain Hammer Hunter.
Soon those will be known as "The Whelen Hammer"

I almost bought some for my trip to RSA that is coming up but thought I'd try Bob's formula first. I had sent Hammer Bullets an email and got a prompt reply. With many of the states moving towards banning lead, the Hammers look to be a good alternative.

I almost bought some for my trip to RSA that is coming up but thought I'd try Bob's formula first. I had sent Hammer Bullets an email and got a prompt reply. With many of the states moving towards banning lead, the Hammers look to be a good alternative.
The owner, Steve Davis, is a super good guy. He has personally walked me through some initial load development a couple times. Very customer focused, he is also an actual hunter, so he gets that side of it.

Last edited:
From the pictures of the deer taken with them they sure appear to kill well but too much meat damage for me. I like to eat venison.
Thats just been pounded with the tenderising Hammer.

I agree it's a lot of damage but each hit is likely different and varies with shot placement.

Dead Deer don't run.

Thats just been pounded with the tenderising Hammer.

I agree it's a lot of damage but each hit is likely different and varies with shot placement.

Dead Deer don't run.
That's a loss of both shoulders, precisely why I quit using ballistic tips many years ago. I have had no problem cleanly killing deer with simple well designed cup and core bullets such as Hornady interlocks or Speer hot cores without that horrific meet loss. Make me a no vote on that one.

Only lost the offside shoulder where the bullet exited. The slight downward and forward angle and the hitting of the lower part of the spine, took out 4 or 5 ribs creating an unusually large exit.

The owner is leading a group of hunters to Africa this year. On another hunting forum they have talked about the lack of meat damage. That one shown looks to be a bit unusual. Of course the general rule is to decrease bullet weight for the solid copper bullets and that increases velocity. A 220 gr bullet is pretty big for a deer. They get a fair amount of press on that forum. Generally most like them. Usually easy to get to group well.
Bruce

That's a loss of both shoulders, precisely why I quit using ballistic tips many years ago. I have had no problem cleanly killing deer with simple well designed cup and core bullets such as Hornady interlocks or Speer hot cores without that horrific meet loss. Make me a no vote on that one.
I've been testing some Hammer Bullets as I read some stuff online and sourced some, no different to people using Barnes, Outer Edge or Cutting Edge.

I have mostly shot pests so meat damage is no concern if they are down and dead.

I've used a lot of Ballistic Tip, others say it's not needed. A freind once asked why I think they are the way forward. I'm looking for accuracy and one shot kills. But I also know cup and core bullets are capable of that, they have been doing that for years so maybe it's just trying something new and shiny.

Gbflyer, have you shot anything other than paper with the 338 Federal using the hammer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kerri63S2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….