Going to Africa looking for a Winchester 416

I do try to mind my own business and stay out of things that none of my…

Never mind

So the buffalo were finally killed shooting from a helicopter? That kinda takes the danger out if dangerous game hunting.
I dunno, flying across the bushveld at low level in a helo might be a good bit more dangerous than standing toe to toe with a wounded, pissed off bull, lol. I used to fly around with some of them Nam chopper pilots and them SOB's were all crazy (had to be to do that job).

So the buffalo were finally killed shooting from a helicopter? That kinda takes the danger out if dangerous game hunting.
Having piloted both November and Zulu Sierra registered aircraft, it sounds like it could be more sporting than hunting a buffalo with a push feed! :)

I love my little model 70 pre 64 in .416 Taylor with 21” barrel
Like the .416 rem. It Doesn’t need a magnum action. Making a nice compact rifle

I’m taking my .505 Gibbs, the .416
My wife will take a model 70 in .375 and her .308

If ammo disappears or I shoot 4-6 pounds of ammo up. I’ll switch to one of the others.

Installed a new trijicon scope Saturday. Shot it to dial the scope in. After shooting the scope in settled in with 1” groups at 100 yds. Using CEB solids and safari raptors

It’s easy to carry. Easy to shoot and easy to look at. I have a life time supply of components
IMG_3152.jpeg
IMG_3482.jpeg

I understand and agree that the 375 H&H will do anything that you need in Africa or any where else. However, sometimes a fella just wants to go a bit bigger. I completely understand. I currently have a 416 barrel on order for a project to convert a M70 375 into a 416 Rem mag. That may be the quickest route for you if you want a 416 Rem Mag in a model 70.

Hi just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a Winchester model 70 416 REM MAG. I would appreciate any leads!!
Greetings BearHunter77,

With my apology, I did not recognize your first post as a first post.
So better late than never, Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

As for the rifle and cartridge you seek, I wish you luck in finding one.
Stay the course and don’t give up.
Eventually one will become available to you, at not too insanely high of price.

If you’re a rifle enthusiast (me too), then no doubt you will train properly and thoroughly with the .416 and thereby build your skill and confidence with it.
I like Model 70 Winchesters, especially the ones with large, ‘98 Mauser type extractor.
Even some of the dreaded push feed ones are not so bad for certain hunting scenarios.

Anyway, when you get around to it, I invite you to have a look into the Khomas Safaris website.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

PS:
My dream buffalo rifle would be a He
ym Model 89, SxS in .450-400 Jeffery 3” with 26” ejector barrels, single wide shallow “V” rear blade sight and over-sized, white bead front sight.

Actually a W.J. Jeffery best grade drop lock SxS in said caliber (and with spare barrels in .303 British caliber) would do nicely as well.
I plan to buy one, the same day that I catch both a talking fish and a frog with wings.

Meanwhile yes, the .375 H&H is evidentially quite adequate for buffalo, especially with today’s super tough bullets (I suggest Swift A-Frame 300 grains).
But, stick to your .416 Model 70 plan anyway, you’ll not be happy unless you do.

Cheers.

IMG_9292.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColbergDinola

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek