Going to Africa looking for a Winchester 416

I wish you luck in your search. I found mine here the same way.

It will not be a bargain, especially if it’s a New Haven gun.

Thanks!! I been searching everywhere. I can’t believe how many gun sites are scams online these days. Some look soo real. I’m not used to buying used guns.

Winchester is due to make another run of them,they made 375s and 458s in the last year.

What are you hunting? A .375 will be much easier to find and just as effective on dangerous game. I own a .404, 500-416, 470, and 450. I use one of my .375's because I prefer it.

(this one is a rebarreled pre-64 Winchester Model 70)
(this one is built on a pre-62 F.N Mauser action)
(this one uses a Winchester Model 70 action but the muzzle brake should be cut off)
(this one uses a Winchester Model 70 action)
(this one uses a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action)

.416 Remington Magnum is a great all-round caliber for the African Big Five.

Last edited:
Cape Buffalo
I shot these two with 375 and Barnes bullets that were shockingly lightweight.
2019-08-26 buffalo posed(2).JPG
Buffalo2.JPG

Killed them both very effectively and efficiently. 415 Rem Mag is not very popular, especially in Africa. Just about every outfitter provides 375 rifles as rentals for clients hunting buffalo. Personally, I would look for something other than 416 Rem Mag.

I shot these two with 375 and Barnes bullets that were shockingly lightweight.
View attachment 588495View attachment 588496
Killed them both very effectively and efficiently. 415 Rem Mag is not very popular, especially in Africa. Just about every outfitter provides 375 rifles as rentals for clients hunting buffalo. Personally, I would look for something other than 416 Rem Mag.
Nice congrats!! How many shots did they take?

That’s great!! Thanks for sharing! Looks like you had an awesome time throughout the years!! Never been yet
If I may offer a small suggestion. If you plan on hunting an elephant in the long term, then I’d still encourage you to get the .416 Remington Magnum. You’ll benefit from it when taking body shots. Otherwise, .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is perfectly adequate.

If I may offer a small suggestion. If you plan on hunting an elephant in the long term, then I’d still encourage you to get the .416 Remington Magnum. You’ll benefit from it when taking body shots. Otherwise, .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is perfectly adequate.
How many shots did the Buffalo take with the 375 HH

Nice congrats!! How many shots did they take?
The cow took one shot front on through the heart at 110 yards. She didn't go twenty yards before going down. The bull took one in the boiler room on the run at sixty yards. He ran about a hundred yards before turning to face us blowing blood from his nose and mouth. I put another round in his chest, he spun around maybe three times, sat on his butt, and fell over. Done. The first shot really finished him, blowing up both lungs with bullet lodged in ribcage of opposite shoulder. I think I have a picture of both bullets. Second one exited back of ribs and shattered his left hind leg at the knee (no doubt causing the spinning in place).
20211103_092653.jpg

Bottom bullet is lung shot. 248 grains on the powder scale. Perfect mushroom.

How many shots did the Buffalo take with the 375 HH
From 1974-1993, my setup used to be one RWS 300Gr Kegelspitz Cone Point, followed by five RWS (and later Remington) 300Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids. If my first shot (with the Cone Point) was properly placed from a broadside position into the heart-lung region (taking care to avoid hitting the scapula/humerus shoulder bone), then the Cape buffalo could be expected to go no further than 100 yards before expiring. If it was not properly placed and ended up hitting the scapula/humerus shoulder bone (thus disintegrating into pieces), then even after taking five solids through the heart-lung region... big Cape buffalo bulls could be expected to remain fully active for up to 18 minutes 48 seconds (I was actually able time this once). If you’re using solid bullets on Cape buffalo (which is ill advised these days anyway), then the .458 caliber is the smallest bore size which I would opt for.

After 1993, I began to use Federal Trophy Bonded 300Gr Bear Claws (loading the entire magazine with them) and most of my Cape buffalo began to drop after the first shot (if properly placed) within a minute or so. For my next Cape buffalo hunt, I intend to use Barnes 300Gr TSX all-copper hollow points since Federal has been listing Trophy Bonded Bear Claw cartridges (in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum caliber) as “Out of Stock” ever since 2020.

Premium grade expanding bullets like Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Swift A Frames and Barnes TSX have really aided in cementing the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum caliber’s prominence as a competent Cape buffalo caliber.

Last edited:
Again, by choice, I have used a .375 with either 300 gr TSX or A Frames on all four of my bulls. Each was killed by the first shot, though two of them were given insurance second shots. One died in his tracks, the other three barely covered 20 yards each. A .375 simply works..

More importantly, a scoped .375 is the easiest transition from a deer rifle to a dangerous game rifle. It is also the single most versatile chambering that any client can choose. It works for DG, PG, and large North American game like bear or even elk and moose.

Caprivi
Cape Buffalo Hunt Namibia

Mozambique
Blaser S2 Double Rifle

Coutada 14 Buffalo

South Africa
Limpopo Buffalo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piggytapPhillipp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek