Frugal Hunter

Yeah freight charges are insane, which is why I was asking the question. When does a crate get too big to be worth doing them overseas? I have read horror stories on here about bad taxidermy, freight charges, storage costs and lost or damage taxidermy and it’s got me a little nervous.

About 3 months ago I did the calculation on having the taxidermy for my recent hunt in Uganda done in SA or dip and pack and ship the hides and horns directly to Houston for a taxidermist to do the work here. Even with the high shipping costs it was still cheaper to have the taxidermy done in SA. When shipping rates were less it use to be a lot cheaper but now it is just a bit cheaper. I have been using the same Taxidermist in SA for 20 years and they have done a lot of my mounts so I trust them to do great work. I really enjoy having my African trophies in my trophy room but the advice given by @BRICKBURN is certainly worth strongly considering. If my choice was bring taxidermy home or hunt more species I would hunt more species and take great photos and have the photos enlarged into canvas prints and put those on the wall.

New to the sight and looking to see if anyone has done their homework on the “Magical” or should I say most economical number of trophy’s to take on a trip. Obviously dip and pack takes up less space, but you have to air freight and although I do like some euro mounts to me a shoulder mount gives the full effect of the animals colorization and a appreciation of their size.

Then there is the budget limitations. Maybe a full ocean container is the perfect number, but let’s face it most of us can not afford to blow the bank on one trip and besides then we would have a harder time making excuses to go back again.
So what is the “Magical” number 1, 2, 3, …… and when does the number push you to multiple crates?

I don't think there is a rule. It all depends on what you plan to hunt in Africa and also how to wish your trophies, European mounts or shoulder mounts, or even not taking home any trophies. The latter option is also available and could remain soon the only option in the event of a trophy import ban.

As for me, for example, I only went to Africa to hunt buffalos and sometimes elephants. I only hunted PG as part of this hunt, and therefore shot not a lot of antelopes or warthogs. I did also not take many PG trophies home with me because they were above all, so to speak, goodwill shots. I only have at home European mounts because I don't love other forms of preparations.

For all this reason I have never had to pay too much for the trophy shipment. It was often only one buffalo skull trophy. In the times when I still hunted elephants, the prices of shipping and import of the tusks were still affordable. How it is nowadays, I don't know.

Great advice so far. The shipping is what will get you. I paid 6600.00 to get my finished work home from SA in shipping and to clear (10 trophies finished work). It was my first time over so glad I did it but will really think about what to do with trophies on second hunt. My advice would to save on the taxidermy/shipping and take at least a few of the “big” antelope and then fill in your safari with some of the less expensive. Kudu, sable and Nyala were my favorite. Maybe those 3 and mix in a warthog, impala, springbok, blesbok to keep costs down. Really look at hunts that are offered through the deals section on this forum because they have hunts in every budget.

There are also so-called non-trophy hunts where it is fixed in advance that the trophies will not be exported. The shooting fees are then often lower. Moreover, when it comes to PG hunting, it does not always have to be a record trophy on worldwide class.

All of this must be discussed with the outfitters before the hunt. There are enough professionals on the Forum who can give one good advice on something like that.

My advice: Don’t go too overboard with trying to bring back trophies. Just take what really, really matters. Instead, savor the hunt itself and take lots of photographs. You’ll be able to hunt a lot more.

I’ve been hunting in Africa frequently, ever since I went on my first safari to Kenya in 1974. Over the years, I’ve only brought back 4 of my African trophies till date:
My first Cape Buffalo
IMG_2656.jpeg

My first lion
IMG_2659.jpeg

My first zebra
IMG_2312.jpeg

I have also brought back a magnificent pair of tusks from my first bull elephant. The pair is now in my daughter’s house, but I’ll get the photo of that one too to show.

We went to Africa last year for our first time. We knew it was a major expense for our lifestyle, but worth every dime, but realized we would likely not get back. We chose our trophies by our :"must haves", and space. Kudu was my dream plains game, and I knew an impala was a must...a minor, but beautiful animal....I consider it the African "white tail". A warthog seemed like another mandatory (but as I told our guide, I was only interested in an exceptional one....I shot pigs at home). I then asked my wife what she considered a must...without hesitation she stated " I want a zebra rug". Okay! and I was very pleased with that because it turned out to be by far the most challenging of our trophies. We then left room for two maybies....An nyala, or a blue wildebeest....settling on an Nyala.
Everyones list is different. Ours was as limited by our ability to display them as our budget. Some folks...neither is a concern.
We had our work done in SA. We were very pleased with the frequent communication from the taxidermist, price was far cheaper than in the US....and I felt more appreciated. Shipping for all (three shoulder mounts, back skins, carved warthog and Zebra skull, and zebra rug) via air was around 3500 from Johannesburg to our door in upstate NY. I was pleased with the taxidermy work, it certainly was on a par with most work I have had done locally (white tail and black bear), better than some, but I wouldnt call it museum quality....(honestly, a lot of museum quality I dont care for because the animals dont any longer look....wild).
Pick and prioritize the species by which you love most and can best display, and go from there. No wrong choices.

I don't think there is a rule. It all depends on what you plan to hunt in Africa and also how to wish your trophies, European mounts or shoulder mounts, or even not taking home any trophies. The latter option is also available and could remain soon the only option in the event of a trophy import ban.

As for me, for example, I only went to Africa to hunt buffalos and sometimes elephants. I only hunted PG as part of this hunt, and therefore shot not a lot of antelopes or warthogs. I did also not take many PG trophies home with me because they were above all, so to speak, goodwill shots. I only have at home European mounts because I don't love other forms of preparations.

For all this reason I have never had to pay too much for the trophy shipment. It was often only one buffalo skull trophy. In the times when I still hunted elephants, the prices of shipping and import of the tusks were still affordable. How it is nowadays, I don't know.
Thanks for the repose. I am sure there is a point where too many mounts creates the need for multiple crates, so was wondering where that end point was reasonable.

I took 4 and had 1 wall pedestals and 1 shoulder mount and a zebra flat skin, but wondered if I should have taken more or fewer to save costs, but everyone on here is making very valid points.

Makes sense, but I was told it was cheaper to have them done in South Africa and have them shipped as completed taxidermy, so that was the route I was looking at. Guessing that may have been a bad idea?
Not necessarily, I’ve had 10 mounts done in RSA and it’s amazing how well the taxidermist utilize space in a crate. If I remember correctly the crate was roughly 5’ long 3’wide and 3’ tall. It included kudu and waterbuck. Just be sure to vet the taxidermist and study their work and make sure you will be satisfied with the quality.

We went to Africa last year for our first time. We knew it was a major expense for our lifestyle, but worth every dime, but realized we would likely not get back. We chose our trophies by our :"must haves", and space. Kudu was my dream plains game, and I knew an impala was a must...a minor, but beautiful animal....I consider it the African "white tail". A warthog seemed like another mandatory (but as I told our guide, I was only interested in an exceptional one....I shot pigs at home). I then asked my wife what she considered a must...without hesitation she stated " I want a zebra rug". Okay! and I was very pleased with that because it turned out to be by far the most challenging of our trophies. We then left room for two maybies....An nyala, or a blue wildebeest....settling on an Nyala.
Everyones list is different. Ours was as limited by our ability to display them as our budget. Some folks...neither is a concern.
We had our work done in SA. We were very pleased with the frequent communication from the taxidermist, price was far cheaper than in the US....and I felt more appreciated. Shipping for all (three shoulder mounts, back skins, carved warthog and Zebra skull, and zebra rug) via air was around 3500 from Johannesburg to our door in upstate NY. I was pleased with the taxidermy work, it certainly was on a par with most work I have had done locally (white tail and black bear), better than some, but I wouldnt call it museum quality....(honestly, a lot of museum quality I dont care for because the animals dont any longer look....wild).
Pick and prioritize the species by which you love most and can best display, and go from there. No wrong choices.
Thanks for the response.

We took a Kudu, Gembok, Blue Wildebeest, Waterbuck and my daughter took a Zebra.

Our quote for air shipping was over $5500 and $2400 for ocean for our completed taxidermy and that does not include importer or inland freight charges.

Kudu - shouldermmount
Oryx - shoulder mount
Warthog - scull
Black wildebeest - shoulder mount
Red hartebeest - scull mounts + separate skin
Basically two sculls, and three shoulder mounts. I went with my taste, wasnt bothered by economy.
Economy wise, nobody sane would go for African trophy hunt.
Wait, what?...I thought it was how I KEPT my sanity!

The more one hunts in Africa, most probably he will be less inclined to full volume shoulder mounts in quantity later (with average wall space at home)

me personally, i am looking more to the quality of experience, rather then to numbers of trophies collected. I tried to find some balance and came down to about 50% shoulder mounts and 50% scull mounts.

First timers, usually want as much as possible to take from a first safari, and very likely will be temped to make more shoulder mounts home. This is my rough impression after reading many hunt reports on this forum.

The more one hunts in Africa, most probably he will be less inclined to full volume shoulder mounts in quantity later (with average wall space at home)

me personally, i am looking more to the quality of experience, rather then to numbers of trophies collected. I tried to find some balance and came down to about 50% shoulder mounts and 50% scull mounts.

First timers, usually want as much as possible to take from a first safari, and very likely will be temped to make more shoulder mounts home. This is my rough impression after reading many hunt reports on this forum.
I went to Mozambique on my first safari, I shot 7 animals, mounted everything except a community reedbuck. Second safari I shot 10 animals and also mounted them as well but on my next 2 safaris I cut down on the numbers but still mounted the trophies, a total of 6 trophies. Most likely I will cut way back on trophies except for some specialty trophies and maybe add some culls living off of a select few new mounts ( always wanted a full mount bushbuck) the memories,pictures and the experience .

Each animal taken has memories attached to them whether you bring pictures or mounts for your walls.
For me now after my trip this year I’m going to have to add/or convert garage to trophy room as I’ve run out of wall space.
I look at it hunt one year taxidermy next yr then hunt again keeps me broke and have no idea what my estate will eventually do with them but I enjoy being able to see them and relive the hunt daily. Now to start planning and saving all over for safari #9. Just pictures on this one so I can hunt every year left to me that I can

I've been to South Africa twice, and have done three safaris. My first safari was great, and did shoulder mount of the 7 animals I took. The taxidermy work was sh*t, and turned into a total cluster f*ck. I for ripped off by the SA taxidermist.

Second and third safari were fantastic. Learned my lesson from my previous safari, and only did dip & pack of the 7 animals taken. I have one of the sponsors here doing the work.

Both safaris I chose a package from the outfitter and added extra animals I wanted to take. So far, I've taken every animal I've wanted to take.

If one thing you can out of this post, is to have your animals mounted back home. There are too many horror stories about taxidermy. Good luck!

Many years ago, I wrote an article for a hunting magazine in Spain, about Safari costs.

Taking RSA as an example, you could hunt the following animals between these price ranges

23 from 50 to 1000$

15 from 1100 to 2000$

10 from 2100 to 3500$

11 from 5000$

So, take your budget, and make a mix.

If you do euro-mounts, you will be able to hunt more animals.

@Nyati
In your opinion have the prices increased in recent years, and how much - roughly - of course?
In estimated percentage if it is easier?

Difficult to answer, I just took prices from a specific outfitter, the idea was to show readers that a Safari was possible for those of us who are not rich !

Now, as a rough estimate, what I have seen is that prices on high end animals like Sable, Roan, have gone down by around 50%, "specials", like Golden Wildebeest, even more, buffaloes are more affordable, unless you require a certain size of horns.

But hyaenas have increased, in some areas, they cost more than a lioness.

Complex issue as you have so many outfitters in different Provinces, with their own hunting regulations and quotas.

Many years ago, I wrote an article for a hunting magazine in Spain, about Safari costs.

Taking RSA as an example, you could hunt the following animals between these price ranges

23 from 50 to 1000$

15 from 1100 to 2000$

10 from 2100 to 3500$

11 from 5000$

So, take your budget, and make a mix.

If you do euro-mounts, you will be able to hunt more animals.
I don’t understand what you wrote? What do the numbers mean?

You can hunt 23 different animals which cost from 50 to 1000$ each in RSA.

I wrote that article 5 years ago, if I remember well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Link45

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?