First time to Africa question

Monsterbull11

Reaction score
Hello,
My son and I are planning our first trip to South Africa for a hunt and I’m researching all the in‘s and out’s of the trip.
I’m hearing that we’ll need to come up with factory ammo boxes to put our reloads in for the trip over and back.
My question is, is this true? And if so, does anyone know where could we come up with these without buying the factory ammo?
I haven’t bought factory ammo in 30 years, let alone for the particular rifle I plan on taking with me.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
you are correct, however I have never had my ammo inspected. So just load your home loads in factory boxes, you pick up the next time you visit the range, problem solved. As we say thinking out of the box LOL
just be sure you follow you airlline rules on packing
have a great hunt

My question is, is this true?
I suspect main problem may arise if you neckdown original casings, like 308 win down to 260 rem.
Headstamp will remain as 308 win, and your rifle will be 260 rem. This may cause the problem.

Make sure headstamp on the casing matches your rifle caliber.

@gordon kings langley
I have made the trip to the RSA 2x with reload ammo in plastic ammo boxes and have never been flaged. I was not aware that ammo was to be in factory boxes. I have looked into this and never found a factory ammunition box directive. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch ,please direct me where this mandate is.
Thanks David

Also, there is a topic solely focused on safari planning for each country. For other details for your trip.

@gordon kings langley
I have made the trip to the RSA 2x with reload ammo in plastic ammo boxes and have never been flaged. I was not aware that ammo was to be in factory boxes. I have looked into this and never found a factory ammunition box directive. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch ,please direct me where this mandate is.
Thanks David
you are correct 8 safaris all using just plastic bullet holders in a locked case with no problems

I have always used plastic boxes with both factory and handloaded ammunition. I just make that the hand loads are in their own box and the brass is not a mix of different makes. Then no one can tell, if they even cared, which, over 7 safaris in three different countries, never happened. The only issue I had was leaving Zimbabwe and my ammo in leaving, due to gifts to PHs, was 30 rounds short of that declared in entering, even count the 5 empty cartridges. My rifles and ammo and associated paperwork were inspected in a locked room by an enormous official and his four assistants. The issue of missing ammunition was of great interest with many questions concerning my hunt, species taken and the missing ammunition. I finally confessed that I was not a very good shot. Lots of laughter from the big guy, everyone else joins in. I am congratulated for being truthful and released.

The ammo box issue is for the airline. They want your ammo secure, not floating around helter skelter or packed in your socks. Some countries reportedly will check Head-stamps to make sure they match your rifle but South Africa most likely won’t even check. You are limited to 11 pounds of ammo as well so be careful there. You can buy plain white cardboard ammo boxes from midwayusa if you have any fears. Make sure your serial numbers on your paperwork match your rifle barrel. That is one thing that they will check!

There are several services that help pre approve your rifles that are great to use-especially on your first trip. Some of them are sponsors on here

Hello,
My son and I are planning our first trip to South Africa for a hunt and I’m researching all the in‘s and out’s of the trip.
I’m hearing that we’ll need to come up with factory ammo boxes to put our reloads in for the trip over and back.
My question is, is this true? And if so, does anyone know where could we come up with these without buying the factory ammo?
I haven’t bought factory ammo in 30 years, let alone for the particular rifle I plan on taking with me.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
They dont have to be in factory boxes they just need to be correctly headstamped

Since I'm a bowhunter only, I've not had to worry about any of this on my 7 trips to Africa. However, I do own (as do some of my friends) firearms that are wildcat rounds and have no factory ammunition available. So, if we were to consider taking a firearm such as a 7mm TCU, that is a necked-down 223 Remington, it could be problematic in some places? I had never thought about it before, but it makes sense. Do you think you could list the fact that it is necked-down from 223 on the paperwork that it would suffice to "match" the firearm?

I wish your son a successful adventure

I took my handloads in the plastic ammo boxes as well

I'll throw my nickels worth in also.

I used plastic slip boxes for my hand loads but made sure the cases had the proper headstamp.

But my ammo has never been checked in 4 flights and it was only weighed a single time, my last flight out of South Africa by Qatar Airlines.

All my trips have been in South Africa

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/traveling-with-reloads.64244/#post-804797

IMG_1419_zpsbdee52e4.jpg

Don’t overthink it. Just follow the airline rules. RSA doesn’t care how you carry your ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.