First time big game hunter - should I start with an African safari?

A South African safari is a great choice. Reasonably priced too. You can take several animals for the same cost of a Whitetail hunt in US or Canada.
If you are not interested in trophies, look for cull hunts. Lots of trigger time for cheap.

Going to veer off course here a bit and suggest you go solo on your first trip. That way you can get a feel for what the accommodations are like and if the off site activities will suit your spouse.
Agree on the zebra skin, buy it and any other trinkets/souvenirs at Tambo on the way home.

Last edited:
@Limcroma Safaris may still be offering a good deal on their couple's package. I'm headed to Africa for the first time this August, bringing the missus. Have a look at their website - the accommodations are 180° degrees away from roughing it.

Everybody says the anticipation of your first trip is the best thing ever. I definitely have that fever. I leave 19 weeks, 6 days, 1 hour, and 40 minutes from now.
22 weeks for me…. Beretta - just book it :).

My wife was delighted to be asked to accompany me and is excited for the adventure (she is a non-hunter). I am going with Kowas Adventure Safaris in Namibia (another site sponsor). For my first safari, Namibia and South Africa were my top two choices. Since I bought a 375 H&H, I’m obligated to a few more…

Beretta,
I was in a situation very similar to you. I was a bird hunter who hadn’t shot anything bigger than a rabbit before my first trip to Africa. A zebra was the first big game I ever shot. If you are comfortable shooting a rifle, and read up on shot placement you will be fine. It will change your life!
Brian
Thank you for sharing your story. Very helpful. And congrats!

22 weeks for me…. Beretta - just book it :).

My wife was delighted to be asked to accompany me and is excited for the adventure (she is a non-hunter). I am going with Kowas Adventure Safaris in Namibia (another site sponsor). For my first safari, Namibia and South Africa were my top two choices. Since I bought a 375 H&H, I’m obligated to a few more…
I'm in the same boat with my 9.3x62 and the recent acquisition of a 404J.

Using girl math here, we'd be losing money if we didn't go.

:)

Hi,

I am a long-time bird hunter interested in trying big game.

I've never hunted anything but birds. Is it a reasonable idea to have my first big game hunt be an African safari or do I need to "train" and have experience with some other big game hunting first? I'm working on my rifle marksmanship (it sure is different than a shotgun!) and am in good physical shape (I run marathons), but have no experience with stalking/spotting/etc or any post-hunt activities like gutting/other preparation/etc. So it seems to me that having a knowledgeable guide and other help on the hunt for my first big game experience would make sense rather than starting with an unguided deer hunt or something else in the US. Logical thinking? Anything I am missing?

I am not interested in trophies, but rather a great plains game hunting experience. I live in a city apartment, so don't really have space for large trophies (although I would like a nice zebra rug for my library!). It seems from what I have read on these forums that a cull hunt (with zebra trophy added) might be my best approach.

If anyone is able to suggest an outfitter/lodge, here is some more info. I'll be bringing my wife (and fellow bird hunter) who may be interested in trying to take a zebra or other animal, but likely won't hunt every day. She would like to have a luxury lodge, with all the niceties - pool and/or hot tub, air conditioning, great bathroom, very nice furnishings, great food/service that would let her enjoy herself if she was not out in the field. Basically, the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton of the southern Africa (yes, I know that a nice clean tent is more than adequate and more traditional, but that is not going to work, so please don't suggest it). I had been thinking of South Africa, obviously, but I'm reading lots of good things about Namibia on the these forums. I won't say that money is no object (it is), but I am fortunate to be able to spend some money for a great first experience. I'd like to ensure my wife has a great time so she will want to go back.

Finally, as we are bird hunters, it might be fun to have a location where we could mix in a day or two with shotguns for birds.

Thoughts appreciated. Thank you!
@Beretta682
Hi Doug and welcome to AH!

I think you’ll be just fine. The first time I went hunting anything other than a bird or nuisance critters was in Africa. My Dad never took me hunting, although I always wanted to go. Flash forward, I am about to go on my 4th hunting trip to Africa.
I love shooting. Went all the time before I ever knew I would go to Africa.
My suggestion: Study your shot placement. Memorize it. Practice shooting.

I think it’s wonderful your wife is going with you! How special that the two of you will have this experience together! I cannot really offer any luxury accommodation options for you. Last time I was in a tent in Tanzania for 21 days and stayed in a tent in Zim. My hunt in Tanzania was the absolute BEST time I have EVER had in Africa. I lived in a tent however, the service was excellent and I was treated like royalty!

You are going to get a lot of recommendations from people who have been to lodges like you are looking for. Best of luck in your research and ask lots of questions! We are a pretty helpful bunch here and once upon a time we were all planning our first trips to Africa as well!

I have to say again that your wife going with is great! @ActionBob and I are married and absolutely love hunting together. I have not ever participated in any spa type or luxury things in Africa because I just hunt, however, Bob and I are not always interested in hunting the same things and yet we still have an absolutely fabulous time together.

Looking forward to hearing more of your planning and we will all look forward to pics and a hunt report after your trip! :)

Gina

Sure why not. Just practice shooting from sticks before you go. There are many upscale places in both South Africa and Namibia. I will and you a PM.

I think South Africa or Namibia would be a better experience than an unguided (or guided) deer hunt in the USA. You’ll have considerably more opportunity and get more experience in a week than just shooting a deer. Southern Africa has long hunting season so PHs have year round work hunting and stay with it as a career unlike most guides in North America. I think this creates a lot more professional atmosphere overall than we have here. Be upfront with what you want and find a patient PH/Outfitter that knows it will be a learning experience for you. I realize you said not to suggest other lodging but I think you’d be missing out on some of the experience not staying in the hunting camp. Many camps meet every condition you listed except air conditioning. June and July you might want the heat not air conditioning. A permanent lodge or guest house is much more common than a tent camp on private land. Staying at the hunting lodge could give you more opportunity to skin and help process your animals if that’s what you want to do rather than shuttle back and forth to a nicer lodge. I’d also suggest if you go on a cull hunt to simply buy a zebra rug at the airport rather than try to bring back your own. Shipping and clearing trophies feels like less of a hit the more you bring back because it spreads out some fixed costs. Tanning, shipping, clearing your one zebra trophy would still likely be $1500. Buying one at airport with paperwork and carrying home with you would be much cheaper.
I have to concure on taking limited trophies home, keep it really simple.

On the other hand, it is nice to have your own critter. If a zebra hide is the only thing you want, I see you having a few choices.

Buying one at the airport is as simple as it gets. I've not done that but I assume you get some paperwork that suffices and you simply declare it upon arriving home. Shooting a zebra and having the hide tanned will be cheaper, but the shipping and clearance will hit you. Where as you can just plan baggage space if you buy a finished one.

Another option may be to visit with your Outfitter about this. I don't know if its possible, but if pre arrangements are made? Could you shoot a zebra day one, have your Outfitter rush it to a tannery and is it possible they could have it tanned and ready for you to take home? Could that be cleared by you when you return? Or can it be "purchased" as a curio similar to the ones at the airport? I mean if you are doing a cull hunt they probably sell those hides and they end up at the airport so you shoot a cull but buy a finished hide.... Alternatively can it just be salted and you pack it home and clear it yourself and then send it to a US tannery? I cleared my own Mountain Goat coming back from Canada right at the border crossing. And a black bear in the airport on a different trip.

Another option may be to have the hide tanned and you pick it up on your next trip;)

Not sure how soon you plan to go on this trip but perhaps you can research all this. Or just discuss with your wife the airport hide idea. Seems expensive to pay clearance fees and shipping on one hide...

If anyone is able to suggest an outfitter/lodge, here is some more info. I'll be bringing my wife (and fellow bird hunter) who may be interested in trying to take a zebra or other animal, but likely won't hunt every day. She would like to have a luxury lodge, with all the niceties - pool and/or hot tub, air conditioning, great bathroom, very nice furnishings, great food/service that would let her enjoy herself if she was not out in the field. Basically, the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton of the southern Africa (yes, I know that a nice clean tent is more than adequate and more traditional, but that is not going to work, so please don't suggest it). I had been thinking of South Africa, obviously, but I'm reading lots of good things about Namibia on the these forums. I won't say that money is no object (it is), but I am fortunate to be able to spend some money for a great first experience. I'd like to ensure my wife has a great time so she will want to go back.

Finally, as we are bird hunters, it might be fun to have a location where we could mix in a day or two with shotguns for birds.

I also highly recommend taking a look at @Limcroma Safaris for exactly the type of safari experience and accommodations that you are looking for. They put a couple's package together for me and my husband that included a little bit of everything. We did 5 days of hunting and 2 days of non-hunting excursions from the lodge, and then went on to Kruger Park for 3 more days. They also added a lot of special touches that really made the entire trip extra memorable. The entire trip was seamless. Hannes Els runs a first-class operation every way.

In my opinion, An African hunt with a patient and capable PH seems like a perfect place to start.

@ActionBob Bringing trophies across the border between US and Canada is a whole different ballgame. There are almost no restrictions. Just have your tag, make sure deer skulls are clean of brain tissue, and venison meat has been CWD tested (usually a requirement to remove it from local jurisdiction). Bringing trophies in from outside the US is more complicated to protect against foreign diseases. Even in North America protection sometimes becomes necessary. A couple years ago at the start of hunting season I could not bring pheasants back to Canada from Montana due to bird flu. By November restriction for Montana birds was relaxed but import ban on Minnesota and South Dakota birds stayed in place till following year.

The taxidermist your outfitter deals with may have a tanned zebra hide to trade for yours. It's not the same but it might work. A lot depends on whether tanned hides require RSA vet inspection to leave the country. As a finished leather product, I'm thinking they may not. Maybe worth checking into.

Hi,

I am a long-time bird hunter interested in trying big game.

I've never hunted anything but birds. Is it a reasonable idea to have my first big game hunt be an African safari or do I need to "train" and have experience with some other big game hunting first? I'm working on my rifle marksmanship (it sure is different than a shotgun!) and am in good physical shape (I run marathons), but have no experience with stalking/spotting/etc or any post-hunt activities like gutting/other preparation/etc. So it seems to me that having a knowledgeable guide and other help on the hunt for my first big game experience would make sense rather than starting with an unguided deer hunt or something else in the US. Logical thinking? Anything I am missing?

I am not interested in trophies, but rather a great plains game hunting experience. I live in a city apartment, so don't really have space for large trophies (although I would like a nice zebra rug for my library!). It seems from what I have read on these forums that a cull hunt (with zebra trophy added) might be my best approach.

Thoughts appreciated. Thank you!
You should look up IVY Safaris in Limpopo South Africa - sounds like you are 'birds of a feather' (sorry, couldn't resist)

Hello Beretta
I think we will be an ideal fit for you and your wife.
Our lodge is not 5 star (no 24 hour reception) but very comfortable with swimming pool, bar, airconditioning in all rooms, etc.
We have a lady that do massages, manicures, pedicures and facials for the days your wife just want to relax.
We have a beautiful elevated blind with nice comfortable couches and chairs in it where your wife can sit and read a good book and watch game and take lots of photos. Our clients call the blind the Taj Mahal of blinds. See attached a photo.
Then the most important is we have lots of game.
Last game count we had 6 000 head of game in 40 different species.
I can certainly work out a culling package for you with a zebra thrown in.

Also important is we have good bird shooting also.
Doves and pigeons in the mornings and afternoons.
Our specialty though is our sandgrouse hunts.
It is very special bird as they come and drink every morning between 9 am and 11 am.
You can almost set your watch on the exact time the first sandgrouse arrive at the waterhole.
We get 2 kinds of sandgrouse.
The Burchell's sandgrouse is a shorter stockier bird that flies a little slower.
The Namaqua sandgrouse is a more slender bird with longer tail and flies much faster so most shooters do not lead them enough.

So a typical day is to start hunting early morning (with a rifle) for plains game then around 8:30 to 9:00 am go to a waterhole and shoot some sandgrouse till 10:30 or 11 am then continue hunting till lunch time, then a nice cool down swim in the swimming pool (if not in the winter months) and a little siesta. Then more hunting for plains game (3:00 to 6:00 pm) and then to finish the day some dove and pigeon shooting right at sunset. Lots of fun and very relaxing.

Feel free to send me an e-mail if this sounds like the right place for you and your wife.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Blind.jpg
Dinner.jpg
Fireplace.jpg
PICT0863.JPG
Wilzenau Room 2.jpg
PICT0867.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Our PH's will guide and learn you all the way! Making it the most memorable experience for you! For your wife, we have unlimited activities and the best spa in Africa to treat her with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.