First time big game hunter - should I start with an African safari?

Beretta682

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a long-time bird hunter interested in trying big game.

I've never hunted anything but birds. Is it a reasonable idea to have my first big game hunt be an African safari or do I need to "train" and have experience with some other big game hunting first? I'm working on my rifle marksmanship (it sure is different than a shotgun!) and am in good physical shape (I run marathons), but have no experience with stalking/spotting/etc or any post-hunt activities like gutting/other preparation/etc. So it seems to me that having a knowledgeable guide and other help on the hunt for my first big game experience would make sense rather than starting with an unguided deer hunt or something else in the US. Logical thinking? Anything I am missing?

I am not interested in trophies, but rather a great plains game hunting experience. I live in a city apartment, so don't really have space for large trophies (although I would like a nice zebra rug for my library!). It seems from what I have read on these forums that a cull hunt (with zebra trophy added) might be my best approach.

If anyone is able to suggest an outfitter/lodge, here is some more info. I'll be bringing my wife (and fellow bird hunter) who may be interested in trying to take a zebra or other animal, but likely won't hunt every day. She would like to have a luxury lodge, with all the niceties - pool and/or hot tub, air conditioning, great bathroom, very nice furnishings, great food/service that would let her enjoy herself if she was not out in the field. Basically, the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton of the southern Africa (yes, I know that a nice clean tent is more than adequate and more traditional, but that is not going to work, so please don't suggest it). I had been thinking of South Africa, obviously, but I'm reading lots of good things about Namibia on the these forums. I won't say that money is no object (it is), but I am fortunate to be able to spend some money for a great first experience. I'd like to ensure my wife has a great time so she will want to go back.

Finally, as we are bird hunters, it might be fun to have a location where we could mix in a day or two with shotguns for birds.

Thoughts appreciated. Thank you!

I would be very happy to help u guide you and teach you
You are welcome to dm me or email me
Stuart@tallyho.co.za

Beretta,
I was in a situation very similar to you. I was a bird hunter who hadn’t shot anything bigger than a rabbit before my first trip to Africa. A zebra was the first big game I ever shot. If you are comfortable shooting a rifle, and read up on shot placement you will be fine. It will change your life!
Brian

As long as you are confident you can aim small and squeeze the trigger you should be fine! Sounds like the biggest training issue you face is shooting a rifle off sticks. And second perhaps understanding the anatomy st various angles.

Be sure you get a copy of "The Perfect Shot". May as well get the full size to study at home as we as the pocket version to take with you. Or ask your PH or Outfitter if they have one to bring on the truck.

Do you have some 4 legged animal available to you that you can familiarize yourself with the anatomy and angles? Even a mid sized dog? Take a small straight stick, even a pencil and hold it across the animal above the front shoulders. Then angle it from the point of the left shoulder ti the back of the right shoulder. Do this with every imaginable angle and you will be able to see how to visualize a bullet path through the vitals depending upon the angle or quartering the animal is standing on. Even a toy animal. Maybe the above is overkill and unnecessary, that is for you to decide. Many of us grew up hunting or even on farms and instinctively know this stuff. If that is not you, study it. The Perfect Shot book is really good. Don't just look at the pictures but read it.

When shooting, practice religiously to follow through on the shot. Meaning keeping your aim and hold on the gun a half second after squeezing the trigger. Then immediately reload. Before my first trip I had shot plenty of various game including deer but never off sticks. I'll admit I still prefer a tree to lean against or a rock to lay over, but shooting off sticks is a nessasary part of hunting in Africa.

Your PH will likely, out of habit say "reload" after each shot. Your goal should be to allready have cycled the bolt and reloaded before he says it. It doesn't matter if you make every shot a one shot kill. You need to be reloaded and ready just in case. And don't worry about damaging meat unless the PH is worried about it. Especially if you wound something, just getting more bullets into the animal is important at that point.

Back to practice at home, if possible set up targets at various ranges and shoot off sticks. Transitioning from one target to the other such as 50 yards, 100, 150. Or even 25, 50, 100. The important thing is to practice transition while in the sticks, even if you need to move them. And getting in the habit of placing a perfect first shot but reloading and getting back on the animal.

Do your homework on the outfit and PH you go with. Ideally attend the shows and meet in person! If you share with your PH what you asked here, I'm sure they will be happy to go out of their way to work with you and teach you. Many will enjoy that!

Get good pictures of facilities and talk to multiple references on the camp, outfitter and PH. Preferably get references from hunters who have experienced multiple camps and outfits because every first timer gets enamored and doesn't know what else is out there.

Pm send

In 2016 hunting with KMG (who is a well know sponsor here); I shared camp with 3 young guys who booked themselves a hunt and 2 of them never hunted anything and the other had shot a couple deer.

They had a great time of the whole thing. Went and played golf nearby one day, each took one animal IIRC over a half dozen days.

Also shared camp with a couple guys in Zimbabwe; one hunter and a friend of his who never shot anything but a coyote 30 years prior. Invited the observer friend along when we were chasing baboon for a day at the end of my hunt, lent him my rifle, and he made a perfect shot and rolled a huge male off a termite mound.

Go.

As long as you are confident you can aim small and squeeze the trigger you should be fine! Sounds like the biggest training issue you face is shooting a rifle off sticks. And second perhaps understanding the anatomy st various angles.

Be sure you get a copy of "The Perfect Shot". May as well get the full size to study at home as we as the pocket version to take with you. Or ask your PH or Outfitter if they have one to bring on the truck.

Do you have some 4 legged animal available to you that you can familiarize yourself with the anatomy and angles? Even a mid sized dog? Take a small straight stick, even a pencil and hold it across the animal above the front shoulders. Then angle it from the point of the left shoulder ti the back of the right shoulder. Do this with every imaginable angle and you will be able to see how to visualize a bullet path through the vitals depending upon the angle or quartering the animal is standing on. Even a toy animal. Maybe the above is overkill and unnecessary, that is for you to decide. Many of us grew up hunting or even on farms and instinctively know this stuff. If that is not you, study it. The Perfect Shot book is really good. Don't just look at the pictures but read it.

When shooting, practice religiously to follow through on the shot. Meaning keeping your aim and hold on the gun a half second after squeezing the trigger. Then immediately reload. Before my first trip I had shot plenty of various game including deer but never off sticks. I'll admit I still prefer a tree to lean against or a rock to lay over, but shooting off sticks is a nessasary part of hunting in Africa.

Your PH will likely, out of habit say "reload" after each shot. Your goal should be to allready have cycled the bolt and reloaded before he says it. It doesn't matter if you make every shot a one shot kill. You need to be reloaded and ready just in case. And don't worry about damaging meat unless the PH is worried about it. Especially if you wound something, just getting more bullets into the animal is important at that point.

Back to practice at home, if possible set up targets at various ranges and shoot off sticks. Transitioning from one target to the other such as 50 yards, 100, 150. Or even 25, 50, 100. The important thing is to practice transition while in the sticks, even if you need to move them. And getting in the habit of placing a perfect first shot but reloading and getting back on the animal.

Do your homework on the outfit and PH you go with. Ideally attend the shows and meet in person! If you share with your PH what you asked here, I'm sure they will be happy to go out of their way to work with you and teach you. Many will enjoy that!

Get good pictures of facilities and talk to multiple references on the camp, outfitter and PH. Preferably get references from hunters who have experienced multiple camps and outfits because every first timer gets enamored and doesn't know what else is out there.
This is extraordinarily helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with this very thoughtful and comprehensive post. I have a well-thumbed copy of The Perfect Shot and have found it very useful - glad to hear that is useful in real life as well. Thank you again for this. Very useful! Doug

your wife will probably enjoy most lodges in South Africa & Namibia
I think if you're going to have a guided hunt for first Big Game hunt no question Africa is the place, N America you might get a guided hunt in the wilds but you may get Skunked.
I've been hunting for 49 years have no idea how many Deer and Elk sized animals I've taken, all DIY except Canada, West Texas, & White Sands, I've been skunked several hunt trips, been to Africa 5x Australia once and I'm probably closing in on about the same numbers of similar sized animals, it makes for a better hunter when you hunt back in the USA

My lodge owner's wife takes the ladies not interested in hunting on tours of various animal sanctuaries, vineyards, wineries, shopping, etc.

Don't overthink this. It isn't necessary. Anyone can hunt South Africa. No need to have previous experience hunting anything ... or operating a firearm. As a longtime wingshooter you will be light years ahead of many who hunt RSA the first time. Also, as a lifetime birdhunter, I can assure you that will definitely give you a potential advantage over many experienced big game hunters. You know how to shoot moving targets. While I don't recommend shooting at moving big game, sometimes it is necessary. Having that skill has stood me in good stead hunting big game on both continents.

I live in a very small house (less than 800 sq ft) and I have room for 22 African skulls (including two buffalo), three mule deer skulls, two very large elk racks, four deer cap mounts, and only one shoulder mount mule deer. Bring back a kudu skull. You'll have room for one. The hard part will be stopping at just one. They are beautiful and the most challenging plains game to hunt. I have three on the wall including this one from 2022. It is not as big as you'd think, only 44.5" long around the twists. And that ceiling in the basement is quite low.
20231005_224245.jpg

Springbuck or impala skulls are also pretty and relatively unobtrusive ... plus they're cheap to shoot!

Good evening mr @Beretta682

We are situated in the heart of the Lowveld bordering the Greater Kruger National Park.

With Luxurious accommodation and a list of attractions for your wife to do, from Spa treatments to Elephant encounters. We are a family owned Outfit and we believe in accommodating the whole family.

Our hunting area is 9500acers big, with a wide variety of big and small game with affordable pricing, the area has a river flowing trough it and great diversity.

Please have a look at our website ( www.dksafaris.co.za )

Will also be sending you an PM.
Regards
Derian

Africa will be a great place to get started. A great selection of animals to choose from. If just wanting a zebra hide and then some culls I'd suggest talking to Tsala safaris. Nice family friendly place that is close to Joberg. I'd sure talk to them. Good luck and lots of practice is a great idea.
Bruce

I have been very impressed at how skilled most African PH's are at assessing and tailoring hunts. Your background in bird hunting will help a lot, but they will tailor the rest to your abilities. Big game hunts: from the hardest to the easiest, IMO are 1. DIY elk hunt out West to, 100: an Estancia red stag hunt in Spain. Africa offers hunts spanning this entire spectrum. Go for it..........FWB

@Beretta682 you and I seem to have a lot in common. I too started exclusively as a bird hunter, and what first brought me into the world of big game was my interest in hunting Africa.

Before I begin, the people here are the most knowledgeable hunters and indisputable best resource you will find for hunting Africa. Take their recommendations above anything else you find online, and certainly above my own.

While I think that real dedication at the range might be enough to make a safari your first big game hunt, and certainly NEEDS to be the first thing that you do, I also believe that actually getting out in the field is invaluable experience. Personally, I would not feel confident heading to Africa if I had not already had experience hunting at least deer. If, for whatever reason, hunting big game at home is prohibitive, I would at least recommend getting out in the field and practicing your stalking skills.

With regard to your first African safari location, I too share the need for more “luxury” amenities. You have very astutely narrowed your search to South Africa and Namibia. There are certainly many great outfitters in both of these countries who would be able to give you the experience that you desire. However, I have personally ruled out South Africa as a destination because of the geopolitical and cultural conditions in the country that make it inhospitable to people like me. For that reason, I have settled on Namibia, and I encourage you to weigh such factors as well.

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck as you embark on such an exciting experience.

:S Welcome: An African safari would be a good idea, and you don´t need a huge trophy room to hang some euro-mounts, just measure the available space.

Trust me, I live a city apartment too :giggle:

I've never hunted anything but birds. Is it a reasonable idea to have my first big game hunt be an African safari or do I need to "train" and have experience with some other big game hunting first? I'm working on my rifle marksmanship (it sure is different than a shotgun!) and am in good physical shape (I run marathons), but have no experience with stalking/spotting/etc or any post-hunt activities like gutting/other preparation/etc. So it seems to me that having a knowledgeable guide and other help on the hunt for my first big game experience would make s.

I have many hunting friends. When I ask them to come with me to Africa, they tell me BS story, like I would love to, but I dont want to go to Africa before I hunt all the species in our country. (we have 8 big game species, including bear, plus 2 other special species one of which is aoudad or barbary sheep)
I am 100% certain they will never collect all our local species. In fact, I dont know any hunter who collected all 8 + 2 species in my country.
So, I know, when they tell me that, it is just excuse. They will not go to Afirca, ever.
Some of them think they cannot afford African hunt, Some of them are afraid of unknown, dark continent. They dont know what they are missing.

So, just dont limit your self to such thinking. Think big.
Follow the dream.

Other points:
If you manage to get to your local big game hunting before african trip, this would be welcome. try to get white tail deer (or two). It will give you a taste of rifle hunting. You may as well take guided hunt locally and learn from it (field dressing for example)
But this is not mandatory for africa.

Train with rifle. This is mandatory.
Train with rifle from the stick.
Choose good caliber. 30-06, 300 win mag, 270 win, would be good start for all plains game species.
Shooting with shotgun is pointing. Shooting with rifle is aiming. So, you need some time to get familiar, and overcome shotgun muscle memory you already have. So, training is really mandatory

Next, bring your rifle you trained with and your ammo to Africa.

Suggested countries for a first trip: Namibia and South Africa, but not limited to.

Next, when you get on the African soil:
Your outfitter will provide hunting guide. In Africa it is called PH (professional hunter).
You will have tracker and skinner (watch them at work, local tracking is art!), and you will have 4WD and in camp you will have meals, laundry, bar, wi fi.
You will have pick up and drop off at airport, and assistance with gun clearance with authorities, all organized by outfitter.

All.
The best service in the world.
Go there, enjoy the hunt, and learn along the way.
Repeat.

In conclusion:
FOLLOW THE DREAM. GO FOR IT.

Zebra Grazing.JPG

Last edited:
Hi,

I've never hunted anything but birds. Is it a reasonable idea to have my first big game hunt be an African safari or do I need to "train" and have experience with some other big game hunting first? I'm working on my rifle marksmanship (it sure is different than a shotgun!) and am in good physical shape (I run marathons), but have no experience with stalking/spotting/etc or any post-hunt activities like gutting/other preparation/etc. So it seems to me that having a knowledgeable guide and other help on the hunt for my first big game experience would make sense rather than starting with an unguided deer hunt or something else in the US. Logical thinking? Anything I am missing?

I am not interested in trophies, but rather a great plains game hunting experience. I live in a city apartment, so don't really have space for large trophies (although I would like a nice zebra rug for my library!). It seems from what I have read on these forums that a cull hunt (with zebra trophy added) might be my best approach.

If anyone is able to suggest an outfitter/lodge, here is some more info. I'll be bringing my wife (and fellow bird hunter) who may be interested in trying to take a zebra or other animal, but likely won't hunt every day. She would like to have a luxury lodge, with all the niceties - pool and/or hot tub, air conditioning, great bathroom, very nice furnishings, great food/service that would let her enjoy herself if she was not out in the field. Basically, the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton of the southern Africa (yes, I know that a nice clean tent is more than adequate and more traditional, but that is not going to work, so please don't suggest it). I had been thinking of South Africa, obviously, but I'm reading lots of good things about Namibia on the these forums. I won't say that money is no object (it is), but I am fortunate to be able to spend some money for a great first experience. I'd like to ensure my wife has a great time so she will want to go back.

Finally, as we are bird hunters, it might be fun to have a location where we could mix in a day or two with shotguns for birds.

@Limcroma Safaris may still be offering a good deal on their couple's package. I'm headed to Africa for the first time this August, bringing the missus. Have a look at their website - the accommodations are 180° degrees away from roughing it.

Everybody says the anticipation of your first trip is the best thing ever. I definitely have that fever. I leave 19 weeks, 6 days, 1 hour, and 40 minutes from now.

Hi,

Beretta682 - if you have the money & time, can shoot a rifle accurately out to 200 yards, and will carefully follow your PH’s instructions —— why Not Hunt Africa? You will never be taken better care of then on an African Safari and the amount of game you will see should keep it very interesting. Have a great trip and experience.

I think South Africa or Namibia would be a better experience than an unguided (or guided) deer hunt in the USA. You’ll have considerably more opportunity and get more experience in a week than just shooting a deer. Southern Africa has long hunting season so PHs have year round work hunting and stay with it as a career unlike most guides in North America. I think this creates a lot more professional atmosphere overall than we have here. Be upfront with what you want and find a patient PH/Outfitter that knows it will be a learning experience for you. I realize you said not to suggest other lodging but I think you’d be missing out on some of the experience not staying in the hunting camp. Many camps meet every condition you listed except air conditioning. June and July you might want the heat not air conditioning. A permanent lodge or guest house is much more common than a tent camp on private land. Staying at the hunting lodge could give you more opportunity to skin and help process your animals if that’s what you want to do rather than shuttle back and forth to a nicer lodge. I’d also suggest if you go on a cull hunt to simply buy a zebra rug at the airport rather than try to bring back your own. Shipping and clearing trophies feels like less of a hit the more you bring back because it spreads out some fixed costs. Tanning, shipping, clearing your one zebra trophy would still likely be $1500. Buying one at airport with paperwork and carrying home with you would be much cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merjeklo

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.