Finally, my Heym 89b, 577 NE

The 577 does have a premium over the others. I’m about 18 months out on mine. I don’t know what the starting price is but mine is grade two with a few added option and it was over 40k. It is a match to my 450/400 with the same option was over 30k if that gives you any idea.
That's a significant premium. And Congrats on such a rifle. Unfortunately all these prices are way above my league but a man can dream!

Wow, what a fantastic looking rifle! Very attractive wood! If the 577 make you happy then you have made the correct purchase. Besides for a few extra $$'s in tips you can get the trackers to carry it for you when you need a break.

Just shy of 3 years after placing my order, I am finally in possession of my dream rifle, a Heym 89b, chambered in the classic and historic .577 NE. Not a whole lot of upgrades on this one, just color case hardening with simple but tasteful gold inlays and border engraving. The pictures don't do this rifle justice...it looks much better in person!

The positive side of waiting so long for delivery of the rifle, was that I was able to put together a decent stock of reloading components. I have several loads ready for testing, including full power 750 grain woodleigh softs with a variety of powders (R15 w/ filler, H4831, IMR4831), 650 grain hard cast using an Accurate Mold with AA5744 powder, and 650 grain woodleigh BPE softs with H4198, both of the 650 grain loads using kynoch foam filler wads.

I can't wait to shoot this thing, and I hope to get to the range within the next few weeks. I will post a range report on this forum when I do…

Is it too heavy for carrying long distances? Check.

Is it over-powered for everything other than pachyderms? Check.

Does it rank as my most unrealistic firearms purchase to date? Check.

Does it put a smile on my face every time I shoulder it? Absolutely.
A truly beutiful rifle, I also like that the open sights are regulated to sensible distances for the calibre and the kind of hunting it was made for. To often one sees open sights regulated to several hundred meters when the caliber or rifle is made for much less.

A real beauty your double rifle
What incredible, masterful craftsmanship
Just looking at your photos is a joy.
Waidmannsheil

Note to Red Leg: our soldiers also carry the G3 assault rifle with 120 rounds of ammunition all day long, and it weighs a full 14.5 pounds.
Gunbearer are not very common in our army :)

Last edited:
That soldier would also have another 40# of gear on him. But of course he would be younger and most likely more fit.

I agree with your point that a 13 pound rifle should not be sworn off as too heavy. It’s a mindset that African hunting is high speed, lightweight and low drag.

But then when we go to a much more difficult environment we carry more weight. On the mountain hunts for example.

And of course weight carried in the hands feels like more of a burden than weight carried on the back. But it’s still only 13 pounds. And that is the beauty of the world of hunting. We all get to decide what is too light and what is too heavy for our selves. :cool:

That's a beautiful rifle! Congrats

I don't know why anyone would buy this, even a 375 is overkill in most situations. All anyone needs is a lever gun in 45-70!

Joking aside, that is a beautiful rifle and I'm extremely jealous!

Congratulations frog stealer!! That’s a nice looking DR.

IMG_8362.jpeg

BTW, is that your gun bearer’s go cart to carry your 13 lbs DR? ;)

Idk, but didn't think 13lbs was bad .. particularly 'c 26" Barrels.
That's an addl 4"

Lol had me thought that was the gunbears trolly for the lever gun 45/70 :A Stirring: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

With a good sling, this gun will be fine to carry. I would actually prefer it to be a little heavier.

Now you need to bring it up to WA for some shooting. 577 NE is by far one of my favorite double rifle cartridges! As a trade, you are welcome to shoot my rifles. I also have access to a fire pit down by the river and some nice whiskey. (y)

A real beauty your double rifle
What incredible, masterful craftsmanship
Just looking at your photos is a joy.
Waidmannsheil

Note to Red Leg: our soldiers also carry the G3 assault rifle with 120 rounds of ammunition all day long, and it weighs a full 14.5 pounds.
Gunbearer are not very common in our army :)
They also average 21 years of age and are in superb physical condition. :unsure: I remember schlepping the an M-14 and the M-60 in Ranger School. In no way do I want to do that sort of thing today. And when did a Bundeswehr infantryman last carry a G3? They have been using the far lighter G36 since the nineties and are about to move on to the HK416A8.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReeceI0162

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!