Finally got my W.J. Jeffery 8-bore shooting!

I agree, I mostly just hunt with all of mine, if just target shooting, I use schutzen or goes, as it is much cheaper .
I wish I could go hunting with mine! Money is too tight these days :(. Maybe I'll try for a deer or black bear, if the weather behaves.

Decided to load up some black powder cartridges last night for the 8-bore. Prepped 4 cases and filled each with 274gr of Schutzen FFg powder and one fiber wad. Then suddenly realized I only had two round balls left! :Facepalm:

So, I went with plan B and topped two of the with 1200gr bullets. I haven't tried this load yet... Mostly because I'm sure the recoil will be unhealthy for my poor abused shoulder.

Decided to load up some black powder cartridges last night for the 8-bore. Prepped 4 cases and filled each with 274gr of Schutzen FFg powder and one fiber wad. Then suddenly realized I only had two round balls left! :Facepalm:

So, I went with plan B and topped two of the with 1200gr bullets. I haven't tried this load yet... Mostly because I'm sure the recoil will be unhealthy for my poor abused shoulder.
@matt85
That should let you know you have touched it off.
All males should be happy they have two round balls left after the stupid woke me to movement that reckons makes are all bad.
Bob

With black powder, it should be more of a rolling hard shove. With mine, I take a step back and keep the rifle as.mutch on target as possible, like a train on the rails. It will help save your shoulder, as.you move with it, just constraining on controlling the muzzle.

When I shoot heavy recoiling guns, I move my center of gravity as far forward as possible. Then when I fire the gun, I let it push my center of gravity back over my rear foot.

Same idea but without moving my feet.

When I shoot heavy recoiling guns, I move my center of gravity as far forward as possible. Then when I fire the gun, I let it push my center of gravity back over my rear foot.

Same idea but without moving my feet.
I do what I'm talking about with a 1800 grain bullet and 300grs or more of 1f, sometimes you just have never choice but to move. I do what you're talking about with guns up to 600 nitro, black powder guns have a longer recoil curve, depending on the length of the barrel. I'm 6'2" and 250lbs, I have had my filling knocked out and my teeth loosened with mine, when regulating it.

I do what I'm talking about with a 1800 grain bullet and 300grs or more of 1f, sometimes you just have never choice but to move. I do what you're talking about with guns up to 600 nitro, black powder guns have a longer recoil curve, depending on the length of the barrel. I'm 6'2" and 250lbs, I have had my filling knocked out and my teeth loosened with mine, when regulating it.

What is the muzzle velocity on those 1800gr cruise missiles? I'm also curious what you use them for? Heaviest conical I've personally seen for an 8-bore is 1330gr and the heaviest projectile I've personally shot was a 4-bore ball which I think was around 1400gr.

Also, I have been using FFg powder. Have you found Fg powder to work better?

If works good with the big ones, 2f for the 800gr round ball and the 1200 gr one. The 1800 gr one I actually did for cape Buffalo, but never made it, the 1200gr I had thought for grizz and the round ball for everything else. I have yet to.kill anything with it, except for stumps and trees. I haven't chronograph any of them yet.

If works good with the big ones, 2f for the 800gr round ball and the 1200 gr one. The 1800 gr one I actually did for cape Buffalo, but never made it, the 1200gr I had thought for grizz and the round ball for everything else. I have yet to.kill anything with it, except for stumps and trees. I haven't chronograph any of them yet.

Sounds like you and I need to arrange a large bore pig hunt.

I saw two guy's on YouTube, over 20yrs ago @ an outdoor range shooting the 8 Bore. It didn't describe anywhere of it doubling .. he didn't fall over, but it was pretty ferocious. I was taken back ..

I saw two guy's on YouTube, over 20yrs ago @ an outdoor range shooting the 8 Bore. It didn't describe anywhere of it doubling .. he didn't fall over, but it was pretty ferocious. I was taken back ..
Having my hunting load double on me would be an "interesting" experience to say the least! I only cock one hammer at a time, so I haven't run the risk.

@Boone66
That sounds like to much fun to me
Bob

On hard recoiling doubles, including shotguns, if you shoot the front trigger first, sometimes the recoil will move your finger to the rear trigger, making it fire also, hence doubling.

A pleasant package showed up in the mail yesterday, a new mold from Accurate Molds! This one is a 1020gr bullet that I hope to use as a standard target and medium game bullet.

1712225885280.png

Did some casting with the new mold using some scrap lead. They are coming in at 1050gr and are dropping around 0.851". The plan is to load these over 275-300gr of black powder and use them for a target/medium game loads.

Looks like a nice playing around slug you have there .

I just today bought a awesome 8 Bore single shot, unfortunately marked "Not For Ball" so I better not shoot bullets out of it & it is in too dam good condition to cut the barrel off & fit a rifle barrel, it is also a straight grip which is not my favorite stock style .

Left to right: 9x19 cartridge, 1050gr bullet, 1200gr bullet, and 1320gr bullet.

IMG_20240406_131000355.jpg

Here are two targets I just shot in the yard. On the left is the first two shots using the new 1050gr bullets over 285gr of Schuetzen FFg black powder and on the right is the normal 1200gr bullets over 275gr of the same black powder. I may have pulled the first two shots a bit and will need further testing. Hopefully I'm able to find a load that shoots closer to POA.

285gr 1050gr and 275gr 1200gr.jpg

I think I will increase the 1200gr load to 285gr and see if it snugs it up a bit. As mentioned earlier Schuetzen is not a very potent powder, so more is needed to produce the correct velocities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VirgieDunh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!