Finally got my Landi!

I've never been a big Ford fan, but it seems to me if somebody in the US had a craving for a LR Defender sort of vehicle, the new Ford Broncos would be something to look into.

1711719604554.png

1711719625982.png

Can you elaborate on the servicing costs and complications? I would love a Range Rover one day as a second car.
We have had three Range Rovers over the last 15 years. The last was an awesome supercharged V8. It was ideal for running up and down I-35 or I-10 at 89.9 mph. It was also nice not to have to worry about an oil change or service for six months or 10K miles. However, that oil and lube change, which needs to be done by a dealer or risk voiding the warranty, was typically $800 - $1500 and usually quite a bit more as mileage related services needed to be done. Our last one also came with "high performance" tires and rims that needed to be replaced about every 25K miles. We had a rodent chew through a small evac line above the gas tank that entailed dropping the tank, installing a new 12 inch flexible tube and reinstalling the tank. We did an oil change at the same time, and total bill came to just over 5K. A month later we owned a wonderful low cost of ownership V8 powered QX80.

Maintenance costs, and the inability to do one’s own work due to proprietary electronics and generally overly complicated systems are an issue with new vehicles. This is one of the reasons I really like having older vehicles. I can easily and cheaply do all the work myself. I can assure you that there is nothing complicated on a 1965 Land Rover.

lol! You have hit on the one thing I don’t like…no dip stick only a very hard to use gauge you have to scan through
@Rare Breed
All I can say is they must have a lot of confidence in the motor not to need a dipstick. Drain, fill with the recommended amount of oil and hope for the best. Not a good idea in my book. A dipstick can tell you of potential problems like a blown head gasket that's putting water into your oil.
Call me old fashioned but I like a dipstick in my car.
Bob

When I had my Discovery, something as simple as windshield wipers had to be purchased from the dealer at $35.00 each. For some reason all the other windshield wiper manufacturer did carry them. Oil change for mine I believe was something in the +$200. Tire rotation was another $200.00, topping fluids (I truly don't remember), and everything that the service manager thought it was necessary to do. I didn't pay 2K but it was $600.00-800.00 during those visits.
While I hear you, my cousin who owns his own auto shop had no problem fully servicing my land rover. For all the vehicles I have owned from Mercedes and others I have found it is very rare to ever have to use a dealer for maintenance and my land rover has proven no exception. Any dealer has just ridiculous pricing so I never use them. Even parts so far seem no problem. I will give you one warning I found to be true…getting all four wheels off is a night mare. Just find the forums and you will see. My cousin said it was absurd what the dealers do. He greased the bolts and told me now they should come off as easy as other vehicles. On the forums you will read due to dealer service people with flat tires had to have the vehicle loaded on a tow truck since they could not get the lug nuts off to change the tire

I've never been a big Ford fan, but it seems to me if somebody in the US had a craving for a LR Defender sort of vehicle, the new Ford Broncos would be something to look into.

View attachment 596305

View attachment 596306
While I love the look and the old Broncos with V8’s were awesome I absolutely hat the Ecoboost engines with a passion. I had one in my Ford F150 King Ranch and it was a nightmare. after putting $7,000 into it I gave up and sold it swearing to never get an ecoboost again. just my personal expensive experience

While I hear you, my cousin who owns his own auto shop had no problem fully servicing my land rover. For all the vehicles I have owned from Mercedes and others I have found it is very rare to ever have to use a dealer for maintenance and my land rover has proven no exception. Any dealer has just ridiculous pricing so I never use them. Even parts so far seem no problem. I will give you one warning I found to be true…getting all four wheels off is a night mare. Just find the forums and you will see. My cousin said it was absurd what the dealers do. He greased the bolts and told me now they should come off as easy as other vehicles. On the forums you will read due to dealer service people with flat tires had to have the vehicle loaded on a tow truck since they could not get the lug nuts off to change the tire

That is a huge plus, and knowing and trusting someone to do the right thing for you. Good on you (y) It is a beautiful vehicle and that blue is my favorite color.

We have had three Range Rovers over the last 15 years. The last was an awesome supercharged V8. It was ideal for running up and down I-35 or I-10 at 89.9 mph. It was also nice not to have to worry about an oil change or service for six months or 10K miles. However, that oil and lube change, which needs to be done by a dealer or risk voiding the warranty, was typically $800 - $1500 and usually quite a bit more as mileage related services needed to be done. Our last one also came with "high performance" tires and rims that needed to be replaced about every 25K miles. We had a rodent chew through a small evac line above the gas tank that entailed dropping the tank, installing a new 12 inch flexible tube and reinstalling the tank. We did an oil change at the same time, and total bill came to just over 5K. A month later we owned a wonderful low cost of ownership V8 powered QX80.
Thanks. We have had (still have one) BMW X5d for years. I think any dealer work at these type of imported cars will be expensive. It will be interesting to see if your costs go down with the current vehicle.
I took on a project last year of rebuilding/repairing a 100 year old stone garage by my home. One day I dream of a Range Rover sitting in there.

We owned three different Range Rovers over fifteen years, and they were wonderful to drive. BUT, the maintenance is eye watering. Our latest, a 2016, was seen every six-months or 10K miles for an oil change and service. Of course, that really needed to be done at Range Rover because of the electronics and computer system. It was almost impossible to walk out of one of those engagements for less than 2K. We finally threw in the towel last year and bought a new QX-80. Great machine and no maintenance costs. Good luck with yours.
@Red Leg
Doesn't say much for land rovers if'n y'all needed three in 15 years
Now if'n it was a NISSAN, I've had mine ten years and 100,000 plus miles of towing and a lot of 4x4 off road work and still ticking over live a fine Swiss watch. Top that off with the fact that my son and I do most of their services.
Cheap as to service to go with it. An oil change with filter costs me around fifty bucks Australian.
Bob

You are correct about the V8…have had a V6 in everything for the last 20 years…forgot what acceleration was like
@Rare Breed
My old Nissan has amazing acceleration. Zero to sixty in about ten minutes.
Bob

Well done.

We are on a Land Rover trip at present.

Six vehicles in our packet - including two 6x6 variants - thousands of kms this week - lots of them off the bitumen - no issues, no oil leaks - just one puncture.

All are former Defence vehicles.

View attachment 593245

View attachment 593252

We’ve been to Craig’s Hut as featured in The Man from Snowy River.

View attachment 593249

And even dropped in to see the Kerrigans place at Bonnie Doon - from the film The Castle. Which is now available for holiday rentals if anyone here finds themselves in the High Country chasing Sambar deer :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 593248
@tin tin
Love the view from Craig's hut. Stunning. Try doing the track in winter, a bit more challenging. My Nissan ate the tracks without issue.

OK so a discovery....and it has less than 10,000 miles a year on it from 2013....so that's around 80 to 90,000 miles on it now....mmmm.....
@spike.t
My old Nissan has over 180,000 miles on it and still going strong
Bob

Correct. my cousin owns an auto repair shop. He gave it the full review. Changed every single fluid there is. Repaired one wheel berring. Everything else in great shape. Vehicle one owner always garages. We will see. I bought it with my eyes wide open
@Rare Breed
And service it with wallet open wide to empty it
Bob

On this thread, I’ve learned the following.

Bob drives a Nissan 35 Whelen.
Bob still doesn’t like 243’s
Oh, and did I tell ya that Bob drives a Nissan with over 100,000 miles, and the senior Nissan has over 180,000 miles.
Oh, and Bob suggest buying a Nissan and not a Landi unless it came with a free 35 Whelen rifle. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sorry Bob, had to do it.

I bet if i told you a 35 Whelen came with each landi you would like them. lol!!!
@Rare Breed
Even if it did I still wouldn't buy one. I would lose to much money when I sold the Landy even if I sold it five minutes after I got it. Cheaper to just buy a Whelen.
Bob

trying to keep focus here. Ever since joining this forum, keep having thoughts on buying a Land Rover. Only looking at series 2 and 3's. Being me it would get a ground up resto. More dollars robbed from safari's. Now figuring how to expand the shop, make more bucks to get a Land Rover. A real quandry. Is there a support group for this dilemma? Is there any hope of help for this?

trying to keep focus here. Ever since joining this forum, keep having thoughts on buying a Land Rover. Only looking at series 2 and 3's. Being me it would get a ground up resto. More dollars robbed from safari's. Now figuring how to expand the shop, make more bucks to get a Land Rover. A real quandry. Is there a support group for this dilemma? Is there any hope of help for this?
@flying sailor
You would have more fun having more safaris than the heart ache you will get from a land rover.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.