Epoxy Cleanup

86thecat

AH senior member
Reaction score
Have seen quite a few posts about stock work . Since a lot of that work involves epoxy, thought it worthwhile to mention that kitchen vinegar breaks down uncured epoxy.

Scrub with some vinegar, followed with a dish detergent wash and it gets rid of that dark stain that epoxy leaves on your hands.
Built and repaired boats for years, used lots of epoxy and it was a wonderful day when I found out about vinegar. Lots of guys washed up with acetone.
Careful with vinegar aroud projects as it will weaken any epoxy it comes in contact with that isn't completely cured.

Just keep in mind, vinegar is hell on bluing. So be very careful if using it to clean up when bedding a rifle with metalwork installed.

Definitely do not use for cleanup on rifle, or anywhere else epoxy strength is needed. Breaks down and weakens epoxy as well as removing blueing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but acetone doesn't bother bluing, correct? I use lacquer thinner to clean up epoxy and it works well. Just a couple hours ago I discovered devcon had filled the torqueshead tightening screw on my 404's Timney trigger that I somehow forgot to protect with paste wax (I am in the process of restocking to a previously used stock). Lacquer thinner softened up the devcon (JB Weld) and I was able to pick the glue out of the screw socket.

Acetone is ok but may wreck finish if it gets on a stock.
My suggestion of vinegar is for hands where even acetone leaves a dark residue behind and is not healthy to use on skin. It is my understanding that acetone carries anything it breaks down across cell membranes as well as going directly into blood system.

Last edited:
I use denatured alcohol for uncured epoxy cleanup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lagunasleo644

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.