Eld-x bullets

Find them to be quite accurate in the 300, 270, and 243. Only experience on game was the 270, while effective, typical cup-and-core performance.

I (and my son) have used 200gr ELD-X in our 300 Win Mag quite a bit. In Africa we killed eight plains game animals with it, with a few one shot kills. Animals such as Wildebeest (x2), Zebra, Kudu (x2), Impala and Nyala.

Plenty of Texas wild hogs and some whitetail bucks (one shot kills too). I have also used it at FTW Ranch for training and can confidently shoot out to 700 yards (and have shot farther) with it and personally think it is an accurate round.

Many PH's I have spoken with it think it works well for plains game. I have heard from more than one guide (American West hunting guides) they have seen it not expand at close range (100 yards or less, probably more like 30 yards or something close) but others have no complaints. I have never seen that and some of those animals we killed were at less than 100 yards, farthest about 250 yards. I personally am confident in it and would use if it shoots well in your gun, for any plains game / Elk, etc... If I had doubts about it I would not use it and find a round you can have full confidence in.

I have tried 6.5cm , 270 , they shoot good from the bench, on game I am very unimpressed as a hunting bullet, they are designed for extreme range hunting +200 meters
total opposite of mono metal where you can drop grain size and get performance, eldx need to go up a size

Last edited:
The 200 gr .300 Win Mag is my go to bullet for Nilgai. It is extremely accurate out of my R8 and hits a large bull with authority. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on African game.

Does anyone have any experience with the Eld-x bullets. I’m specifically looking at the federal .300 win mag 200grain Edl-x ammo. Curious if anyone had used them. THANKS
Piece of box of 212s. About 70 I think. I tried them in my 300wm.
You want them dm me your address.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a couple of inexplicable failures where an ELD-x exploded like a hand grenade on contact leaving a very shallow, very large wound at the point of impact with some shrapnel continuing on. I’m not saying this is normal, and I don’t know if other factors, like hitting a branch, were involved. It is certainly very odd. And no the bullets were not going too fast (friend’s 6.5 CM).

I've only used the 143 grain ELD-X on 4 cow elk, with weights between 400lb - 500lb and distances from 150 yards to 467 yards.

Given that they are a non-bonded, interlock bullet I made sure that all 4 shots were placed tight in the leg crease with the goal of avoiding as much big bone as possible.

None traveled further than ~30 yards, and all bullets exited.

The ELD-X is a new and improved SST. The new plastic tip is more temperature resistant (doesn't melt as readily, deform and reduce BC). I like them and load them in several calibers. Two of my sons in law shoot 300 WM and I loaded a bunch of rounds for them with 200 gr ELD-X. They are very happy with accuracy and performance. Some of their hunting buddies have approached me and asked if I would load them a few boxes.

Does anyone have any experience with the Eld-x bullets. I’m specifically looking at the federal .300 win mag 200grain Edl-x ammo. Curious if anyone had used them. THANKS
IMG_2674.jpeg
IMG_2675.jpeg

Absolutely deadly on kudu, eland, wildebeest, ibex and urial. Although they do tend to break apart when you strike hard bone, such as the scapula.

Last edited:

I’ve used that exact bullet with great success in Africa on 2 different safaris. Bullets performed flawlessly.

HH

They're hard to beat for accuracy. My 308 Win and 6.5x55 Swede are both lights out, accuracy-wise. Terminal performance seems to generate mostly good field reports. Others, not so much.

For 1000 yard shooting, they're quite good. I won't hunt with them, though.

Suppose you can consistently get 0.4 MOA groups with them. At normal hunting distances (say 400 yards or closer), it'll improve your precision by about 2" @ 400 yds over some other bullet that's "only" 1 MOA. On an elk or moose, or some of the bigger antelopes, 2" additional precision at 400 yards, or a half inch at 100 yards, just doesn't get you anything you don't already have with slightly less accurate bullets.

If you want high BC hunting bullets, I think you're better off with Partition or Accubond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?