CZ 550 MAGNUM in .416 Rigby

Cannot go wrong with a 416 Rigby in CZ 550!

Interesting comments on the hogback v straight. I prefer the straight stock, have one on my own 416 Rigby, but mine is almost too heavy. Have also considered the Bells and Carlson stock that Spike T recommended. Hogback tend to on recoil flip up more than straight stock, straight is better looking (subjective for me) etc. But, the CZ standard stocks (I have one myself for said 416 as well) do not have such a big drop as other hogback stocks.

Would be interesting to hear who prefers the CZ hogback stock over a straight version?

Cannot go wrong with a 416 Rigby in CZ 550!

Interesting comments on the hogback v straight. I prefer the straight stock, have one on my own 416 Rigby, but mine is almost too heavy. Have also considered the Bells and Carlson stock that Spike T recommended. Hogback tend to on recoil flip up more than straight stock, straight is better looking (subjective for me) etc. But, the CZ standard stocks (I have one myself for said 416 as well) do not have such a big drop as other hogback stocks.

Would be interesting to hear who prefers the CZ hogback stock over a straight version?

Straight as you probably figured out :D Beers:.....hogback European stock I am not keen on look....also I need straight stock with not much drop or I am too low for the iron sights....obviously a mutant....love old rifles but don't fit me at all....all I can see is back of the bolt...

Please, anybody can help with some recipes for reloading? Can I gain - 400gr bullet with velocity around 2,400 ft/s???? Thanks a lot.
Easy to achieve that velocity. If you want you load it up close to 416 Weatherby velocity if you wish. I just keep mine at the 2400fps area, not as hard on the shoulder.

try it with the wood stock first, some like the hogs back. I have a McMillian synthetic stock on mine. Gives me a better length of pull.

I can give you loading data but what powders can you get. I use 96 grains of AR2209, an Aussie powder it is sold in the US as H4350.

Easy to achieve that velocity. If you want you load it up close to 416 Weatherby velocity if you wish. I just keep mine at the 2400fps area, not as hard on the shoulder.

try it with the wood stock first, some like the hogs back. I have a McMillian synthetic stock on mine. Gives me a better length of pull.

I can give you loading data but what powders can you get. I use 96 grains of AR2209, an Aussie powder it is sold in the US as H4350.
Thank you for your reply. I will use it with the original wooden stock at the beginning. I will probably have it professionally reinforced with a glass bedding. I have found the following powders in my nearest stores: Reload Swiss RS80, Vectan, Vihtavuori N560, Norma, Hodgdon.

You can't go wrong with that! as for the euro stock, heres mine made in 1999 (its a 375 hh with a night force nxs 2.5-10x32 scope in Warne detach mounts) the rifle is very well finished, which is funny as I have seen other cz magnums not as well finished...also its got the euro stock, but I got a back up euro stock a couple of years ago from cz, its the same grade but different profile.To get to the point I have heard from others in NZ that the 1999 rifles were of a better grade with better wood.

20230205_105440.jpg
20230902_140802.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply and useful information. Night Force nxs riflescopes seem to be very durable and reliable. Combined with the QD Warne steel detachable mounts, it looks like a good combination. I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction from NZ. It reminded me of the times I spent in Auckland. We lived in your country for over 2 years. One of my colleagues was a long range shooter and it was my first experience shooting at 1000 yards. Beautiful country, nice people, good food and lifestyle. I hope to visit New Zealand again one day. Maybe hunting would be a good reason to visit :)

Thank you for your reply. I will use it with the original wooden stock at the beginning. I will probably have it professionally reinforced with a glass bedding. I have found the following powders in my nearest stores: Reload Swiss RS80, Vectan, Vihtavuori N560, Norma, Hodgdon.
if you reload, I see you are starting with Norma brass. Keep in mind, it is thicker brass than Hornady, same load result in much faster loads. Weight and meter the brass to get a idea, Use Hodgon/Hornady data with caution. Otherwise I have the same gun without the jewelled bolt, I love it.
I have a Leupold VX6 1-6 on it

You can't go wrong with that! as for the euro stock, heres mine made in 1999 (its a 375 hh with a night force nxs 2.5-10x32 scope in Warne detach mounts) the rifle is very well finished, which is funny as I have seen other cz magnums not as well finished...also its got the euro stock, but I got a back up euro stock a couple of years ago from cz, its the same grade but different profile.To get to the point I have heard from others in NZ that the 1999 rifles were of a better grade with better wood.

View attachment 592085View attachment 592086
Thank you for your reply and useful information. Night Force nxs riflescopes seem to be very durable and reliable. Combined with the QD Warne steel detachable mounts, it looks like a good combination. I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction from NZ. It reminded me of the times I spent in Auckland. We lived in your country for over 2 years. One of my colleagues was a long range shooter and it was my first experience shooting at 1000 yards. Beautiful country, nice people, good food and lifestyle. I hope to visit New Zealand again one day. Maybe hunting would be a good reason to visit :)

if you reload, I see you are starting with Norma brass. Keep in mind, it is thicker brass than Hornady, same load result in much faster loads. Weight and meter the brass to get a idea, Use Hodgon/Hornady data with caution. Otherwise I have the same gun without the jewelled bolt, I love it.
I have a Leupold VX6 1-6 on it
Thanks for pointing out the Norma brass. I will ask the current owner for his loading data and the performance he achieves. I've already found some freely available loading data on Norma's site. Any advice is appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AugustinaS

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,