Browning A Bolt bolt

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
I was cleaning my A Bolt today and removed the bolt without pulling the trigger first. After cleaning, I attempted to install the bolt and it wouldn’t go in because it was cocked. With no owner’s manual available (I bought it used) and after messing with it for thirty minutes, I saw a hole on the bottom rear of the bolt. I put a rod in it and moved it to the right and that decocked it and was able to install the bolt. Just FYI for any idiots like me out there.

4B6BB6F6-2484-46AF-8DE2-F177405853BA.jpeg
46A98D33-0197-4637-A99C-67B864A380FB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My nephew had one of those rifles and after the first shot at a elk he stood there with the bolt in his right hand and the rifle in his left.

We never did figure out how it happened but he was able to slide the bolt right back in

If the spring on the bolt stop/release is weak, I could see that happening when moving the bolt to re cycle another cartridge. I've never had any problem with mine, but I know of one other person with an A Bolt that had the weak spring issue with the bolt stop. A gunsmith put a new spring in and then no problems.

He sold the rifle after the hunt and bought a Ruger 77

That is not an uncommon A-bolt issue. In the field one can also use the tip of a bullet to accomplish the same maneuver. That will goober up the bullet tip pretty good, but solves the jam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnjaPflaum

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)