Best 30mm rings

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
A friend that works at Scheels talked me into a Swarovski 2.3-18 scope that was on sale. I have a couple VX6 scopes that have Night Force rings. I have had them slip a couple times on my 375 RUM.

My question is what would be the best rings to use for this scope on a kicking mule? I looked at seekings, Waren, vortex. What is most likely to hold a scope where she belongs. Thanks.

Depends on if you still have the iron sights on it ( QD rings then)

A friend that works at Scheels talked me into a Swarovski 2.3-18 scope that was on sale. I have a couple VX6 scopes that have Night Force rings. I have had them slip a couple times on my 375 RUM.

My question is what would be the best rings to use for this scope on a kicking mule? I looked at seekings, Waren, vortex. What is most likely to hold a scope where she belongs. Thanks.
Did you lap the night force rings? I had a set slip on me with a night force scope. I have since ordered a lapping kit but have not lapped that set yet.

I think night force is making the best rings right now. I like their unibody ring set.

I'm a big fan of Talley Rings on hunting rifles but do have several running Leupold rings.

Larue tactical rings, as well as their 1 piece mounts or Sphur Uni-Mounts are absolutely bombproof if you can run a set-up with them.

On the 30's I use Burris, never had them slip on my smokeless muzzleloaders. On the 34's, I use Seekins with RingTrue tape. Also sold on ebay

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 8.10.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 8.10.03 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • RingTrue™ Tape for Three Scopes - High Power Optics.pdf
    451.7 KB · Views: 14
I would not expect nightforce rings to slip. What torque value did you use? The green forum that has a section dedicated to “torture testing” scopes also brings up some interesting points on ring torque. The tester described scopes shifting from too little torque, even though that was the recommended torque from the manufacturer. It seemed that users belief was to use 18-20 in-lbs WITH loctite. If against using loctite, then increase the torque a couple in-lbs to reach the same level of hold on the scope

I would not expect nightforce rings to slip. What torque value did you use? The green forum that has a section dedicated to “torture testing” scopes also brings up some interesting points on ring torque. The tester described scopes shifting from too little torque, even though that was the recommended torque from the manufacturer. It seemed that users belief was to use 18-20 in-lbs WITH loctite. If against using loctite, then increase the torque a couple in-lbs to reach the same level of hold on the scope
My gunsmith told me why the manufacturer always recommend not using loctite on the scope ring portion.

When liquid it acts as a lubricant. Throws off the torque wrench and you will torque it too tight. Then locks up at that tighter setting. Has seen lots of scopes ruined this way.

I will admit I don’t know much about gunsmithing and I knew less in 2011 when I had the first scope move. But every time it moved I would tighten it tighter. When I called Nightforce not only did they send a new set of rings but a new set of screws for that set. He said to get them that tight I would stretch the screws. When I compared the new screws to the old ones they were close to 25% longer.

Did you lap the night force rings? I had a set slip on me with a night force scope. I have since ordered a lapping kit but have not lapped that set yet.

I didn’t lap them. I might start as well. Some say you need to some say no. My rings are all on picatinny rails so I thought they would be quite straight if the rings were of good quality.

I'm not a fan of such big glass for obvious reasons, its hard to find your target and it sits so high above the bore that you get hit with a lot more recoil. So the only thing worse than all of that would be high rings in a pic rail to compound it.

I recommend Talley bases and talley QD Medium rings for that scope. You have to get it as low as possible to work with the comb for any reasonable usability off sticks in the bush.

In my experience, the two most common reasons for rings slipping is improper torque or improper lapping. I have not lapped rings in years. Good quality rings and mounts should not need it.

Safe shooting

I highly recommend Hawkins Rings. They have heavy duty rings and mounts as well as excellent light weight rings that will work on rifles with lots of recoil. I have switched over my hunting rifles as well as my competition rifles to Hawkins rings and have had no issues.

Talley, Alaska Arms and Warne all offer top quality rings. I’d also be looking at a QD option so you can take the scope off and use iron sights if needed.

I’ve had some bad experiences with Vortex products and won’t own them anymore.

I didn’t lap them. I might start as well. Some say you need to some say no. My rings are all on picatinny rails so I thought they would be quite straight if the rings were of good quality.
I have a Night force NX8 4-32 on a night force 20moa pic rail with Night force low rings. All mounted on a 700 clone action chambered in 300wm shooting a 215 grain bullet right at 3000fps.
Did not lap the rings , everything was torqued to spec. The scope slipped in the rings, walked forward.
Why I am not sure.
I lapped the talley rings I just put on my M70 375hh. DId it really help? not sure but it made me feel better.
I have a new bubble level ring top coming for the night force rings friday. when it gets here I will lap those rings and reinstall. Now that I have the lapping tools, I do not think I will ever install another scope with out lapping.

I have Burris XTR Signature Rings on both of my F-class rifles , 30mm scopes . Have not had a single issue with them moving in three years .

I use Talley bases with their QD rings for most of my bolt action rifles. I have never had any slippage with Talley rings on my 375 RUM or my Weatherby 30-378.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DulcieSchi

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair