Arizona will stop auctioning big game tags

Brent in Az

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
I don't agree with the vote. I'm all for conservation. It takes money.
Let the wealthy guys spend the money on auction tags.

The hunters in the states that have these auctions figure that if they eliminate the auctions and the tag give a way's that it will be easier to draw a tag in their annual big game draws. But in reality their odds of drawing one of the tags will only go up slightly, but you can't tell them that. All they see is the few hundred tags that are given away each and every year to contest such as Arizona's Super Tags.

Utah is in the same boat, but I have no idea of the agreement that their DOW has with the folks that sell the chances to get a tag or the give a way's.

Arizona still has the super raffle for various species.

Seams like I read somewhere that this was the last year for it also.

I am ok with it, those tags are abuse by lobbyists of the different foundations they represent, also states imo should not have slush tags for media influencers and YouTube channels, I remember when Randy newberg was getting paid by the State tourism boards to make content, the tourism industry then lobbied under the table to the state wildlife department to issue permits to his company and media influencers
same for Idaho WSF president lobbying the commissionors for big horn tags ( think he was forced to resign as president??)
I know in Texas you have about a .0001% chance at a BHS permit after the big boys play in the raffle

Last edited:
Wyoming does something similar...

I buy a "lottery ticket" every year for sheep, goat, moose, mule deer, and elk...

Auction tags may be controversial...but how will those dollars be sourced when they are gone? I don't care what happens to the tag or who buys it...if they will bid high enough. It's conservation dollars.

I was told, eliminating this tag had more to do with what AZG&F viewed as unethical hunting when the auction winner would fly in on a private jet, get choppered up to the hunting area, get driven out to a bull that a bunch of high school kids have been keeping and eye on, pull the trigger, take some photos and be choppered back to his/her jet and headed home that day.

I agree its elimination is a detriment to conservation. My .02 is if AZ really wanted to prevent the above scenario(s) they could've instituted something about not hunting the same day you fly (like what Alaska has), or something about a maximum number of people in a hunting party, distance one has to be from a vehicle, etc.

I don't agree with the vote. I'm all for conservation. It takes money.
Let the wealthy guys spend the money on auction tags.

Agree, I understand the resentment from Locals/residents/average hunters have and the envy they have towards those with unlimited funds but the $$ obtained from those tags is significant and much it gets put towards a good cause. I think it’s a mistake to eliminate those Super Tag and Auction tags —- unless an alternative way to raise as much or more $$$ has been implemented.

The fact that they still are keeping the super raffle tags is sort of contradicting to it all, the same guy who has bought the last two tags also won last years by buying $250,000 in tickets. Most of the guys that win the big raffle tags play them extremely heavy so for part of the conversation that doing this is to be giving average hunters a better chance at getting a "conservation or Governors tag" is false sure sometimes the money doesn’t prevail but is a game of odds and when one or two guys hold most the tickets odds are far better for them. I believe this will make the odds of the raffle tags much harder more guys will be playing with bigger numbers without being able to buy the tag at auction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.