Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
These two 400 grain Hornady DGX bullers were retrieved from a buffalo bull. About 2160 fps, from bench set up.
The first shot on the buff was with a 375 and it was badly placed. The buff took off and the follow up guy put in two rounds from his 450/400 double. The buff continued on it’s way a bit further and set up an ambush and that is where it was finally put down.
188A0983-1EF4-41B5-949F-731781D2736B.jpeg
3226B463-3C8F-45AC-A034-AC4F3E340845.jpeg

That lines up with other dgx bullets I have seen. Seems they don’t deserve the hate from what I have seen.

That lines up with other dgx bullets I have seen. Seems they don’t deserve the hate from what I have seen.
The old design got the hate. The new design has been received pretty well.

But both versions are named DGX.
How can one distinguish between the old ineffective and the new effective designs?
Hornaday could have changed the name of the new DGX bullets to DGXX, DGX2 or something.
But, they did not.
To me, this is deceptive marketing.
For this reason, I do not trust Hornady products!

Wouldn’t you normally see deceptive marketing going the other directions with products? If they turned a good product into a crap product but left the name the same, that would be deceptive. But the other way around seems to hurt the company, not the consumer.

Notwithstanding the desire to avoid new old stock, buying the new product would be pretty straightforward if high volume places are dealt with.

Perhaps I’m missing a perspective, but to me this isn’t a case of deceptive marketing. I guess im more optimistic and think it is a company that decided their product wasn’t performing as desired and made changes to fix it. Much like an auto company often has issues with a first model year vehicle, the second or third model year will have changes to address those issues.

Wouldn’t you normally see deceptive marketing going the other directions with products? If they turned a good product into a crap product but left the name the same, that would be deceptive. But the other way around seems to hurt the company, not the consumer.

Notwithstanding the desire to avoid new old stock, buying the new product would be pretty straightforward if high volume places are dealt with.

Perhaps I’m missing a perspective, but to me this isn’t a case of deceptive marketing. I guess im more optimistic and think it is a company that decided their product wasn’t performing as desired and made changes to fix it. Much like an auto company often has issues with a first model year vehicle, the second or third model year will have changes to address those issues.

It is deceptive in that Hornady will not admit that their previous version bullets were not as effected as advertised.

If one purchases Hornady DGX ammo or projectiles for loading, how will they know the product's performance level?

At a minimum, Hornady could have marketed the new version as,
"Our DGX was good but we listened to Professional Hunters and made the DGX2 even better!"

Additionally, in engineering and logistics, Configuration Management is used to identify what version of a part, software, fuel, and so on an item, part, sub assembly, or end item something is. Knowing the exact version of items is especially important in procurement of spare parts for a supply system, or for retailers' procurement of stock for sales.

And then there are us hunters. Hornady DGX are the greatest! Well the current version is. The old version of the same name, not so much. But hunter A buys old DGX thinking it preforms like the new DGX everyone is buzzing about.... There could be a potential problem with a pissed off bleeding buffalo..

Last edited:
Matt the hate between this comment and yours is what I was referring to.

But both versions are named DGX.
How can one distinguish between the old ineffective and the new effective designs?
Hornaday could have changed the name of the new DGX bullets to DGXX, DGX2 or something.
But, they did not.
To me, this is deceptive marketing.
For this reason, I do not trust Hornady products!
The new one says DX bonded on the end of the box. I have used in .416 rigby, .470N,
,404J & .404J.

The new one says DX bonded on the end of the box. I have used in .416 rigby, .470N,
,404J & .404J.
Thanks Lon, @503 and @V.Veritas ! I stand corrected for this version of Hornady DGX.

Somebody correct me again if this isn't their 3rd version?
I have a quick trigger toward Hornady for this type of thing...

Would the older non bonded DGX work on game other than DG? I only ask because a LGS has a number of boxes at pre Covid prices. Maybe only good for practice and the brass?

Would the older non bonded DGX work on game other than DG? I only ask because a LGS has a number of boxes at pre Covid prices. Maybe only good for practice and the brass?
I'm sure they'd be fine for deer, pigs, PG sized animals etc. I'd grab it if the price is right. The main issue is it's not sturdy enough for buffalo sized animals. Smaller non dangerous stuff I'm sure it would.hold together like any other non bonded bullet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syncro76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?