.416 Rigby & .458 Lott - Equal Recoil?

Then there's the pressure curves for varying charges of different powders in different sized cases....at some point the pressure increases sharply and that component now becomes a contender in recoil. All that said 8-12% could simply be averaged, so call it ~10% for each component with that low-pressure round. Many 416s are in the 2400+/- fps ballpark. I agree that each plays a signficant part in felt recoil. I think my old Steyr-M. Tropical 375 weighed over 16 lbs with the oversized bbl, optics, sling and both magazines (one in the butt) loaded. It was a pleasure to shoot, even with heavy handloads and 350 gr bullets.

1507917_10152054997780208_1051433261_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious how anyone feels the 458 Lott has less felt recoil than the 458 WM? Science shows the Lott to have more ft lbs of recoil. Is it possible to tame recoil enough in a Lott, to be a felt 458 WM?
With all the loading advice , I concur in my shooting life, heavier bullets , give more recoil. With all things being equal. Yes I own a chronograph, but just to pick up one caliber and run thru different bullet weights. I see more recoil in my 7 MM REM , with heavier bullets. Only makes sense in bigger calibers.
Pushing 500gr, as fast as 400gr, as fast as 300 gr, etc , etc
What I have envisioned in my near future, have a 500gr, rifle , a 400gr rifle , and a 300gr rifle . All pushing their respective slugs at 2400 fps.
My choices are 375H&H, 416 Rem Mag, 458 Lott.
Sounds like perfect math to me!
One plains game
One Buffalo rifle
One stopper for DGS problems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linkta88online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek