416 Rem Mag vs 458 Lott for Big Game

Rocco490

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Battle of the necked up over 40 caliber full length improved 375 h&h cartridges. The 416 Remington Magnum vs the 458 Lott for Big Game Hunting and for Dangerous Game Hunting. Which cartridge would you prefer and why?

.458 Lott has an edge for body shots on bull elephant, so if you plan on hunting a lot of elephant (esp. in dense foliage with low visibility)... that gets my vote.

.416 Remington Magnum is more versatile and has less recoil.

I have both, my PH friend told me to bring the 416 since he considers it the better client rifle.

He said the 458s are better rifles for PHs stopping badly hit/ wounded animals and the 416 with its lighter recoil and excelent pentration are better choices for clients placing the first shot precisely. A precisely placed first shot negates the need for the bigger rifle later.

Makes sense to me.

In "Dangerous Game Rifles" Terry Wieland considers the .458 Lott to be the most versatile of all the Dangerous Game calibers. Wide selection of bullets, ability to down load to 45/70 levels, 350gr TSX's for longer range plains game, ect. He prints that if he could have but 1 rifle it would be a Lott.

He also despises the 416 Rem.

I too have tossed the idea of getting a truly big bore but $$$ plays a role since I don't handload I will have to settle for a .375 H&H

Fans of the 416 Remington include Craig Bodington, Phil Shoemaker,and David Petzal among american writers.

It is also held in high regard by many PHs in Africa. Wieland is something of an outlier in my opinion.

Last edited:
Have both, I'm grabbing my 458Lott for Buffalo, Elephant, and land Hippo (I don't think a Rino is in the cards anytime soon). Anything that requires a precision shot, I'm grabbing my 375h&h. The 416 is a bridge between the two. They will all kill, it just depends on what you are after. If you want the one rifle safari, take a 375h&h and don't look back. If you want to put the time and money into learn how to shoot a 458Lott. It is very doable.

I'm yet to complete my first African safari...looking to in 2025. However I have experience shooting big bore rifles, from .375's through .585 calibre. I think the versatility of a .416 bore is "almost" as good as .375. with a 300gr TSX you have pretty flat shooting plains game rifle and with a 450gr Woodleigh something close to the .458 lott. But yes more recoil, a little harder to manage, appreciate that. I am thinking of taking my .416 Rigby as "my" 1 gun in 2025 for my first safari and shooting all animals on my card with that, from the Buff through to the smaller animals, I may just use the 1 load 410gr Woodleigh son will have his .270 win there as well.

Have both, I'm grabbing my 458Lott for Buffalo, Elephant, and land Hippo (I don't think a Rino is in the cards anytime soon). Anything that requires a precision shot, I'm grabbing my 375h&h. The 416 is a bridge between the two. They will all kill, it just depends on what you are after. If you want the one rifle safari, take a 375h&h and don't look back. If you want to put the time and money into learn how to shoot a 458Lott. It is very doable.

I agree @Inline6
I take both the 458 Lott and 375 on most trips if DG is on the list. I use the Lott primarily and 375 as backup. But if I need a precision shot like hippo or croc brain shot it will be with the 375.

416 rem mag
416 rem mag
416 rem mag
Oh yes did i mention the 416 rem mag

The 416 Rem does run at higher psi so has been an issue. If shooting handloads that can be addressed.

The 416 Rem does run at higher psi so has been an issue. If shooting handloads that can be addressed.

When is the last time they have had pressure issues? With modern powder I have not seen it. In the summer here in South Texas it has been 100+ very high humidity and I have never experienced issues with my 416REM shooting Federal, Barnes, or Remington ammunition.

I have never experienced any pressure issues with my 416 Model 70 in 100 degree Alabama heat and humidity.

Apparently when the cartridge was introduced,the pressures were too high in hot tempertures in the push feed Remington 700.

The ammo situation was corrected long ago,and with modern temperature stable powders it is a non issue.

Like the early ammo problems with the 458 Win Mag,the early ammo issues with the 416 Remington no longer exist. The issue has also not been reported in control feed 416s with their large extarctors. Craig Boddington said he has researched the whole thing for years and he can find no evidence of issues with the 416 Remington with modern ammo.

When is the last time they have had pressure issues? With modern powder I have not seen it. In the summer here in South Texas it has been 100+ very high humidity and I have never experienced issues with my 416REM shooting Federal, Barnes, or Remington ammunition.
Probably about the same time the 458win mag had issues.
Modern powders are fine in both.

The 416’s are a better choice than the 458’s for the majority of visiting hunters for the majority of their hunting requirements.

416 Rem mag. Properly shot, 416 Rem mag will kill any land animal on earth. Don't fool yourself.

I shot my lion with mine. He while he was sitting in brush on a trail. He didn't move a muscle. Died right where I shot him.

That's like asking if you like chevy or ford, or blondes or brunettes. People have their preferences, both will get the job done if you put it where you're aiming. I have both and like both. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything with either. I guess if you're talking the biggest and baddest DG, and given I have both in the safe, give me the lott for the bigger punch. But I wouldn't feel under-gunned with a 416.

That's like asking if you like chevy or ford, or blondes or brunettes. People have their preferences, both will get the job done if you put it where you're aiming. I have both and like both. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything with either. I guess if you're talking the biggest and baddest DG, and given I have both in the safe, give me the lott for the bigger punch. But I wouldn't feel under-gunned with a 416.

My experience is limited to one buffalo. That one buffalo took 9 rounds of 416REM 400gr AFrames. First three were textbook, then it was putting them in the black where I had the opportunity to put lead. It was after that experience I decided 458Lott was not overkill.

I love my 416RM because that’s what I have. Never owned a 458 Lott and don’t see the need. My 450 double works for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubeteco1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,