404 Jeffrey at 1019 yards!!

Axle2010

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm sure some of yall follow Mark and Sam After work on YouTube but if you don't is a man and wife in Australia I think that are all about llooonnnggg range shooting I mean 2 and 3k yards. I just saw a video where he uses his gunsmith's custom 404J with a dg scope to first sit 600 them 1019 yards. Yes I know it's reficulous range but it's impressive that such a cartridge is capable of making relatively consistent shots at that range. Just thought yall might be interested as well.

There was. 300 grain for it also, bronz point tipped . People used it wrongly there for it was removed so long ago.

I got some 300 PBP copper ones made in Norway with the rifle . Firm now closed sadly .
Tonheim bullets it was.

I also used 310 Mimek in it . And I shot on 450 meters the longest with Mimek . Used same load as the 300 Pbp

Largest thump in steel plate from it was the old 400 grain Barnes X they were “massive “ long .

IMG_0672.jpeg
IMG_0340.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
There was. 300 grain for it also, bronz point tipped . People used it wrongly there for it was removed so long ago.

I got some 300 PBP copper ones made in Norway with the rifle . Firm now closed sadly .
Tonheim bullets it was.

I also used 310 Mimek in it . And I shot on 450 meters the longest with Mimek . Used same load as the 300 Pbp

Largest thump in steel plate from it was the old 400 grain Barnes X they were “massive “ long .
Hammer Bullets in Missoula, MT makes 307gr and 350gr for 404. I bought a sample of 307gr but couldn't work up a load that would group before running out of primers. Those are quite explosive design so would be careful shooting anything you want to eat.

Tonheim bullets it was.

How were you loading the 310gr bullets? I might want to try the recipe with 307gr.

I'm sure some of yall follow Mark and Sam After work on YouTube but if you don't is a man and wife in Australia I think that are all about llooonnnggg range shooting I mean 2 and 3k yards. I just saw a video where he uses his gunsmith's custom 404J with a dg scope to first sit 600 them 1019 yards. Yes I know it's reficulous range but it's impressive that such a cartridge is capable of making relatively consistent shots at that range. Just thought yall might be interested as well.
Can you post a link?

Are these folks related to the people who shot an elk at 680 with a 243?

How were you loading the 310gr bullets? I might want to try the recipe with 307gr.
I dont have the data here as they went with rifle when i sold it couple of years back, and i dont remember them either now

But i used same data as for 300 grains .

But it was a very adaptive rifle 300,310,340,400

I never got to try 450 Woodleighs

Some fella did a mile shot with a 45-70 150 years ago.

Many shooters have since duplicated the feat. It really isn't very hard, particularly with laser range finders. Many of the medium bores+ are surprisingly accurate. The real trick is reading the wind in a real hunting situation, which is why a 700 yd chip shot at the range can be extremely tricky IRL.

Attachments

• Billy Dixon's One Mile Shot - RifleShooter.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 43
Mark and Sam do some cool stuff.

Here is the condensed 404 episode for those with short attention spans

and the full bottle here

They shoot a 45-70 to 1926y

Last edited:
I dont have the data here as they went with rifle when i sold it couple of years back, and i dont remember them either now

But i used same data as for 300 grains .

But it was a very adaptive rifle 300,310,340,400

I never got to try 450 Woodleighs
I think the Barnes bullet in your photo must be 450gr? Here's Barnes 400gr TSX in 404. Considerably shorter.
20230708_114456.jpg

I like the looks of that cartridge... Yall think 375H&H, 416Rigby, 404J, 458 Lott, and 460 Weatherby would be to much overlap? The Lott and Jeffrey would be optional I think

Idk how to post a link, sorry. I doubt they're related I don't thinknMark and Sam hunt at all

When you are watching a Youtube video, right click with your mouse on the video and the click on "Copy Video URL", then click on a AH page and paste (Ctrl-V). Hit the space bar or enter and the link should work.

I like the looks of that cartridge... Yall think 375H&H, 416Rigby, 404J, 458 Lott, and 460 Weatherby would be to much overlap? The Lott and Jeffrey would be optional I think
I have all bases covered with 30-06 (top) and 404 Jeffery. Both rifles were originally made to kill people circa WWII.
20230813_102935.jpg

20231119_114655.jpg

The Jeffrey was originally a military cartridge? That's a helluva bullet for a human
No. Both RIFLES were designed to be mankillers. I built the 404 Jeffery on a Czech BRNO vz.24 action that was originally 8mm. Before I bought it the gun had been rebarreled to 30-06. The 30-06 in top image is 1903A3 Springfield also rebarreled but retained the caliber.

No barnes In picture i had From left 310 Mimek In .404 , then .358 Norma , and .458 Nitro Express

No. Both RIFLES were designed to be mankillers. I built the 404 Jeffery on a Czech BRNO vz.24 action that was originally 8mm. Before I bought it the gun had been rebarreled to 30-06. The 30-06 in top image is 1903A3 Springfield also rebarreled but retained the caliber.
Oh OK my bad I misunderstood

My calculator shows Norma factory 450gr dropping 797 inches at 1000 yards. That’s some hold over!

My calculator shows Norma factory 450gr dropping 797 inches at 1000 yards. That’s some hold over!
Apparently, he used 300gr bullets. Hard to believe the crosshairs of a low power "dangerous game scope" wouldn't cover up a bedsheet at a thousand yards.

Apparently, he used 300gr bullets. Hard to believe the crosshairs of a low power "dangerous game scope" wouldn't cover up a bedsheet at a thousand yards.
He made the comment that it was a little hard to see cause he was using the very bottom of the crosshair. That 2x2' target is mighty small at no more than 6 power I bet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardoOy

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….