1986 Land Cruiser Safari Truck

In the UK LR parts are cheap. Im an engineer and find them easy to work on. Plus I used them in the army so im familiar with how they work.
If we all drove the same cars life would be boring
@norfolk shooter
And you know why they don't work, so why own one.
To get a landrover to work properly you only need to replace EVERYTHING between the front and rear bumpers and all is well.
Bob

I love Cruisers and Landy's.

I've owned one or the other (or both at the same time) since 1982.

However, I have never had to have a Cruiser:

- towed home
- complete frame replaced
- complete electrical system replaced
- complete steering system replaced

I'm now considering a Grenadier...

Has the UK figured out corrosion control, yet???

And what's with the new "Defender"???

To defend against poodles peeing on your lawn???

- towed home

The PUMA frames and body panels were much better with corrosion that earlier series / defenders.

- towed home

I’d love to see a grenadier in the hands of a PH for a season. See how they hold up.

I’d love to see a grenadier in the hands of a PH for a season. See how they hold up.
@VertigoBE
The new land Rover has to many computers and sensors for me. They don't even have a distinct to check the oil level. Just fill the oil and hope for the best between services.
Bob

This rig has been very reliable.
2016 Hunt Season 908.jpg
DSCN1520 - Copy.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have days where I entertain the idea of a Toyota.......
The idea for a Toyota would be to buy one and show @PeteG how unreliable they are and hard to repair in the bush. He would then apologize for all his unnecessary comments for hours on end about my land rover. Once he apologized I would take him to the pub in my Land Rover.

The idea for a Toyota would be to buy one and show @PeteG how unreliable they are and hard to repair in the bush. He would then apologize for all his unnecessary comments for hours on end about my land rover. Once he apologized I would take him to the pub in my Land Rover.
@roverandbrew
The good thing about landrovers is they are cheap on fuel.
They spend most of their time in the workshop or behind a tow truck or being pushed to get them home. That way you are using other people's fuel to get home.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob

i have to say in the US their lowest priced model is $69,000 which is just nuts given their horrible consumer report ratings which places them at the bottom with Jaguars

It’s taken me a while to reply as I’ve only just stopped. Laughing at this.

But in all seriousness, I’m always up for a beer and chat, although if we go to the pub in your Land Rover, how are we getting home?:A Stirring::D Beers:

I am happy to say @M Whitley and I made a deal! This FJ 45 will be the latest and greatest addition to our hunting rigs at Reserve Ranch.

So cool for me as I took my first Safari in 1986, the same year this cruiser was made. I’ve spent countless days in Safari cars just like this one and can’t wait to get it to the ranch.

Thanks Mark.

But in all seriousness, I’m always up for a beer and chat, although if we go to the pub in your Land Rover, how are we getting home?:A Stirring::D Beers:
@PeteG
Walking or catching a taxi.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I am happy to say @M Whitley and I made a deal! This FJ 45 will be the latest and greatest addition to our hunting rigs at Reserve Ranch.

So cool for me as I took my first Safari in 1986, the same year this cruiser was made. I’ve spent countless days in Safari cars just like this one and can’t wait to get it to the ranch.

Thanks Mark.
Thank God! I kept thinking about that thing but have pretty much zero use for it. Other than it would be cool to drive 8 miles to town in;)

You can get home in a G-wagon.

The 1957 Series 1 Land Rover pics I posted above.. is actually underneath all a 1991 Toyota Hilux., except for LR panels. About 9 years ago I bought a cheap dented Hilux twin cab petrol 4x4, took off all the body except for floor plan, firewall, inner guards and grill. Then I shortened the chassis by 610mm and welded it back up. Fitted new 2" lifted leaf springs, remove 3 rear leafs. New shocks. Bolted on a box frame up and over where door hinges were, then bolted the LR dash on that (cut off the rusty S1 bottoms). Plopped the rear tub over the back wheel and bolted it on. Mounted both doors to suit that height.. filled the side gaps (which actually helped make a handy 270mm gap for gunbags behind the front seats and tub. Then bolted the gaurds on, fitted the slim headlight LR grill and a S2 hood. A lot of brackets and bolts. Painted it army green and poked a boat fuel tank under the seat, other side a big portable hand winch. End result a super reliable, higher, and 200% softer ride, Land-Lux.. or Hi-Rover... Lots of fun in it, very light, short and goes almost anywhere, with tough multi ply steel belted Army michelin tyres, and no punctures for the first 5 years.. then 2x had chucks outa side walls in one week lol..
Land Cruisers - We've always had 4-6 Toyota 4x4s in camp for our safari company, mostly Cruiser 60series, then 80s, 75s and a few twin cab HiLux's, all have been super reliable. The 80 series wagons were very comfortable and capable,, all with 2" lift coil springs and 265 or 285 tyres.
Re Land Rovers - over the earlier last 15 years I've owned 5x TD1 and TD5 Discoveries, loved em, even though each one had very annoying little problems.. Examples to mind.. alarm stuck on over a rough road (fuse out forever fix),.., thought I need a new head (but was just a main air pipe inner wall colapsed),,, engine seized and no turn over, trucked it to mechanic (was a just a AC seized tensioner pulley.!!). 3 roof linings fell in, but can be replaced,... one TD5 in the Arnhem land bush the rear door failed to open for a week of safari, plus the passenger door failed to open (fine bull dust in BMW car locks) as door seals on inner side , not outerside, so fun getting gear and clients in/out. Fuel pumps, Water pumps. Burst transmission pipe sprayed oil straight onto a red hot turbo, massive clouds of black smoke 3x times bigger than the car (how it didnt catch fire was amazing),, Each time I sold, I said never again... but... but they look nice outside and inner, and ride is super comfortable, economy was also good. A knowledgeable mechanic, and tow plan... and then a delight to own. Father in law bought at TD6 and in 4 years has treble paid for it in repairs., but he loves it... (and cant sell it).
LR Defenders... well ,, they are great safari vehicles..!! Nyati Safaris at Coutada 14 had a few, good rigs. One stopped in the tall grass, but it was a big Eli skull stuck underneath..!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swamptrudger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,