What Have You Killed with the 7x57

I have been very absent from this thread the last few months for one reason.

My CZ550 was not grouping
First it was very bad trigger got that set right and still couldnt get any nice groups with the rifle using 154 gr SST or 175GR bullets various loads.
Funny thing was first shot is always dead on then it doenst string it is just random sometimes 2 holes cut each other sometimes 3 and then 2 veer off.

For hunting it is fine but I like the groups to be small and know the calibre is cabaple so yesterday handed it in to the get the bedding done and making sure it gets a pillars.

Then I have a hunt planned 9 May for some meat animals and hopefully my confidence will grow in the rifle.
I also have some 160gr Safari Bullets to test but don't want to waste testing them of the rifle is not grouping. Same bullets I use to hunt with in the 375 and 458 devastating usually has close to 95% bullet retention.

IMG-20230611-WA0010.jpg

Safari Bullet 500gr .458 out of buffalo at 2250fps.
Have yet to recover a 375 bullet but I ma sure the 7mm 160gr will perform the same and thinking of running it at around 2600fps.
With the bullet having a solid core it is longer and will have good SD and should allow me to take even eland comfortably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang it, this thread is going to make me finishing prepping the couple hundred pieces of 416 brass I'm working on just so that I can get started on the 7x57 that I've ignored for a year.

Short answer is pretty much everything. Haven’t taken dangerous game with it but most others and stateside Elk, Bear and Whitetails.

So got back my 7x57 from the Bedding job done.

Then went to the range yesterday to see what the rifle is capable off.
I am stoked and very happy some loads needs fine tuning but I hit the nail on the head with the 154gr Hornady SST load.

This load will be my long range hunting load for reebbuck, vaalie, black wildebeest and blesbuck.

But first some eye candy on my CZ550 7x57.

20240308-145513.jpg
20240308-145531.jpg
20240308-145453.jpg
20240308-145450.jpg
IMG-20240315-WA0025.jpg

Subtract the caliber and the group is a full 7mm's big. That's 0.275591 inches shot at 100 meters.
154gr SSt at 2730fps should be a good flat shooter sighted in at 200 meters and then putting a maximum range out at 350 meters.

My normal 160gr bonded bullet load shot well bit needs some tweeking with one flyer and the other two almost cutting but just a tad slow on what I want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a 7x57 as my working rifle on my cattle/ sheep/ forestry properties in OZ . A BRNO VZ 24 still with Nazi proof marks . An old Pecar 4x scope . Rifle was customized when I got it . Dealt with countless kangaroos , pigs and deer . I am talking in the thousands ( 300+fallow deer in a two nights once in the same paddock) Never had a problem getting ammo and still don’t . It loves 160gr pills . Still take it out for a deer a few each year . It is the last rifle I will ever sell. A dream to shoot .

Who is the manufacturer of 7x57 ammo in OZ? When I can find 7x57 here in US it is either Privi or Sellier&Bellot which I both prefer to the meekly loaded Winchester or Remington which I haven't seen in over 5 years.

7x57mm kills with the right bullet need a bit more distance 7x64mm Brenneke....and no 7mm08 aint the same....

This is my 7x57 - it wasn't built for me, but as far as I can tell research indicates it was built by Dennis Tasto, an old time gunmaker here back in the 90's. It has never been across the pond with me, but I have taken some Axis deer here with Lapua factory 11.2g SP's to great results. Just getting into hand loading now, so following all of the data and loading experience here with great interest.

Attachments

• DSC_0541.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0549.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0569.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0619.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0621.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 38
Who is the manufacturer of 7x57 ammo in OZ? When I can find 7x57 here in US it is either Privi or Sellier&Bellot which I both prefer to the meekly loaded Winchester or Remington which I haven't seen in over 5 years.
I don't mind the s&b but all that I've used the rims weren't undercut enough and put a lot of stress on the extractor plus they won't fit in a no 2 or 3 shell holder. The s&b is loaded hotter.

This is my 7x57 - it wasn't built for me, but as far as I can tell research indicates it was built by Dennis Tasto, an old time gunmaker here back in the 90's. It has never been across the pond with me, but I have taken some Axis deer here with Lapua factory 11.2g SP's to great results. Just getting into hand loading now, so following all of the data and loading experience here with great interest.
Very nice, it's a shame we can't ever show off the coolest part of the vz33 that lies under the wood.

RWS Geco are the main brand I use these days , 165 Gr soft nose . I also use S&B .

I don't mind the s&b but all that I've used the rims weren't undercut enough and put a lot of stress on the extractor plus they won't fit in a no 2 or 3 shell holder. The s&b is loaded hotter.
Had the same issue with S&B brass and bought a Lee 30-30 Win Shell holder solved the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MableWatso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani