Weaver Super Slam Dangerous Game, illuminated or non?

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Anyone have experience with either of these Super Slam models? Those of you that have hunted cape buffalo, do you use illuminated optics? Either model is around $515. I am considering purchasing one for my RSM .416 Rigby.

Hello Sierraone,

I only have one buffalo scalp so far.
For this hunt I used a wide, shallow "V" rear sight and a large German silver front bead sight.
The PH I hunted with told me a year or more prior to this hunt that a bolt action rifle with low to medium magnification scope is preferable for buffalo but that he was sure he could put me on a bull at close range so, go ahead and bring my iron sighted one if I wanted to.
All went as planned and I shot a fine bull.

One buffalo is no way to select your sighting equipment but it surely did work well for me that time.
I strongly recommend that you ask your PH about the scopes you are considering.
If you have not selected a PH yet, this forum has several excellent ones to choose from.
Even if you do not book with any PH here, at least listen to what they have to say about scopes for your buffalo rifle.

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.

I have looked at the newer Weaver scopes and been tempted by the prices but have do not own one yet. They seem to be fine optics and personally I like illuminated reticles. Buffalo are big and black and can be hiding in dark shadows so why not give yourself that extra little advantage the illuminated reticle offers?

The local retailer in my area who stocks Weaver scopes has them all on sale. They don't seem to be moving but I think others are just more popular and at this point I could not comment further on the quality. If they get any cheaper I'm sure going to be temped to try one but it would likely be a higher magnification model for a coyote gun.

For that price point, I would compare a Leupold VXR 1-4 or possibly a 2-7. And there is a Vortex model that is more of a tactical scope with an illuminated circle reticle.... But again, I'm sure the Weaver is a fine option and it is intended and built for exactly the use you mention.

Thanks guys. I appreciate any and all opinions from those of you that have been there!

I have wondered how they perform too?

Is there any downside to the illuminated one? On my Swarovski, if I don't turn the illumination on, it is a regular non-illuminated scope. I assume the Weaver is the same. If so, go illuminated.

I just received a non illuminated Super Slam Sunday. It was marked down to $319 from $500 on the Amazon site. I am not sure at this time whether to mount it on my RSM .416 Rigby (which is the direction I am leaning) or to try it first on my M 70 .375 H&H which already has a 4.5 Bausch and Lomb. And due to other events going on , I am not sure when I will get it mounted and to a range. I will post my non expert opinion when it happens though!
Is there any downside to the illuminated one? On my Swarovski, if I don't turn the illumination on, it is a regular non-illuminated scope. I assume the Weaver is the same. If so, go illuminated.[/QUOte

Is there any downside to the illuminated one? On my Swarovski, if I don't turn the illumination on, it is a regular non-illuminated scope. I assume the Weaver is the same. If so, go illuminated.

I have never owned a Swarovski or Schmidt and Bender, but was very tempted when I was able to look though the glass of one about 3 weeks ago. My son talked me out due to the obvious expense. It was so clear, I am not sure there was even glass in the $2000 Swarovski!

I don't know much about Weaver scopes, how is their warranty?

no one has mentioned it yet but make sure your thoroughly test the scope on your 416 before taking it into the field. the recoil of a 416 will easily trash many of the scopes on the market these days.

-matt

I have never owned a Swarovski or Schmidt and Bender, but was very tempted when I was able to look though the glass of one about 3 weeks ago. My son talked me out due to the obvious expense. It was so clear, I am not sure there was even glass in the $2000 Swarovski!
My father in law hunted deer every year until last year and suffered though most of his life with cheap scopes, then a couple years before he quit hunting (thinks he is too old), he finally bought a Swarovski.

It does not need to be a Swarovski, but a good or great piece of glass only hurts once when you buy it. The poor quality stuff hurts every time you use it. Having said that, you don't have to spend $2000.

I don't know much about Weaver scopes, how is their warranty?

no one has mentioned it yet but make sure your thoroughly test the scope on your 416 before taking it into the field. the recoil of a 416 will easily trash many of the scopes on the market these days.

-matt
No direct experience but I think the Super Slam is their top of the line. And if it is the DG model, one would sure expect it to stand up to serious recoil! If it does not, they have problems.

Top quality mounts and tight screws are VERY important also. (experience talking here!)

Reactions: lcq
No direct experience but I think the Super Slam is their top of the line. And if it is the DG model, one would sure expect it to stand up to serious recoil! If it does not, they have problems.

Top quality mounts and tight screws are VERY important also. (experience talking here!)

too true. Most people don't realize that the scope mechanicals are far more important that optical clarity. If she won't hold zero, track accurately and stand up to hard knocks all the clarity in the world isn't worth a pinch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicholeMom

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg