375 Ruger conversion to 416 Ruger

I like the Gulf coast that's a nice piece of FL you're in. There any good hunting in Big Bend?

I wouldn't think so since the GG and the Alaskan both have 20 inchers and I don't hear much bad feedback about their recoil. I don't have much experience though, my African is the only 416 I've ever shot. I'm working my way up from 375 to 460 or 500J lol.
My 375 Ruger Alaskan, laminated stock, has a 23 inch barrel. Ruger made a few of these, but most had the 20 inch barrel.

Ruger did make a 416 Ruger African in a left hand configuration.
Model 47152
I search for one daily on the gun boards.

If you hand load you can get some pretty impressive loads in the 330 grain area.
But then there is the allure of the 416 Ruger or even the 458 Ruger Wildcat. A standard length action launching a 500 grain bullet!
full

Converting your rifle.
At one time Ruger would do this it s no longer the case.
At one time you could buy barrels from Ruger but again no longer the case.

So you are left with a custom job.
The re-barrel is the easy part. Pac-nor has the chamfering tools. Hart Shield, McGowan can all do a rebarrel but may not have the chamber cutting tools so there is added expense.
Then come the extras harder to source. NECG was who I was going to use but they are not taking work. https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/
Barrel band front sight.
Barrel band sling mount.
If using a non cross bolt or stock with one cross bolt additional cross bolts.
While you're at it cut the stock and have a good recoil pad installed.
Refinish the barrel at the very least but probably the whole action.
Remove front sling point on wood stock and plug hole.
Have barrel threaded for muzzle break or suppressor. Your Shoulder will thank you.
Cost??? Still waiting for a couple of gunsmiths to get back with me.
Interesting, that 458 Ruger Wildcat is assume is a straight walled 300WM case?

I like the Gulf coast that's a nice piece of FL you're in. There any good hunting in Big Bend?
I dont hunt here. There are a lot of small deer, turkeys, and hogs but not my thing here. I like to head North to Ohio and looking at a lease out in Texas. I don't care much for trophy hunting for deer, like the does for the meat.

Best thing about this place is the scalloping, free food in the ocean, love it.

I dont hunt here. There are a lot of small deer, turkeys, and hogs but not my thing here. I like to head North to Ohio and looking at a lease out in Texas. I don't care much for trophy hunting for deer, like the does for the meat.

Best thing about this place is the scalloping, free food in the ocean, love it.
Man there ain't much better than some grilled blackened scallops!

My 375 Ruger Alaskan, laminated stock, has a 23 inch barrel. Ruger made a few of these, but most had the 20 inch barrel.
Is yours stainless or cerakoted? I haven't seen it in person but he said his looks more like cerakote them real stainless.

McMillan stock with magnum fill. Leave the HS in South Dakota.

Man there ain't much better than some grilled blackened scallops!
End of July come on out, I charter part time and will take you and MRS out and get a bunch. My treat, just be prepared to talk about Africa, our first trip is next year.

End of July come on out, I charter part time and will take you and MRS out and get a bunch. My treat, just be prepared to talk about Africa, our first trip is next year.
Oh brother don't make that offer I'll be there in the front porch!

Well come on ahead, bring beer, I work for that! Lol, just give me a date in advance so it doesn't conflict with a charter. I even have a cabin for you guys to stay in while you are here.

Interesting, that 458 Ruger Wildcat is assume is a straight walled 300WM case?
The parent case is the 375 Ruger. It is the middle cartridge in the picture in my previous post.
Slight shoulder on the case. It is reported to be about 50-60 fps slower than the 458 win mag.

I received a reply from Country
Custom Metalsmithing on converting a 375 Ruger to 416 Ruger.
I have contacted a couple of other gunsmiths by email and phone with no reply. As business owner if you are not chasing work when plenty of work, you won’t have any work when things slow down.

Looks to be around $1800

Barrels are $388
Fit and chamber- 416 Ruger- $425
Muzzle threading- $100
Fit and install front sight and sling band- $150 (combined)
Install rear sight- $50-$75 depending on of screwed or soldered.
Barrel band front sight- approx. $150
Barrel band sling swivel- approx. $90
Bed action- $175
Fit crossbolt- $50-$150 depending if you want ebony plugs or exposed bolt.
Crossbolt- approx $30
Plug sling hole- $25
Cut stock/ Fit recoil pad- $75
Recoil pad- Pachmayr- $42

Yeah at the very least you should get an email reply saying they can't take any more work at this time.
That seems a little high to me for a conversion of an existing rifle (especially a $1300 rifle) but if it's the only way to get a left handed 416... God knows it's still cheaper than finding a decent 416 Rigby.

Ruger did make a 416 Ruger African in a left hand configuration.
Model 47152
I search for one daily on the gun boards.

If you hand load you can get some pretty impressive loads in the 330 grain area.
But then there is the allure of the 416 Ruger or even the 458 Ruger Wildcat. A standard length action launching a 500 grain bullet!
full

Converting your rifle.
At one time Ruger would do this it s no longer the case.
At one time you could buy barrels from Ruger but again no longer the case.

So you are left with a custom job.
The re-barrel is the easy part. Pac-nor has the chamfering tools. Hart Shield, McGowan can all do a rebarrel but may not have the chamber cutting tools so there is added expense.
Then come the extras harder to source. NECG was who I was going to use but they are not taking work. https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/
Barrel band front sight.
Barrel band sling mount.
If using a non cross bolt or stock with one cross bolt additional cross bolts.
While you're at it cut the stock and have a good recoil pad installed.
Refinish the barrel at the very least but probably the whole action.
Remove front sling point on wood stock and plug hole.
Have barrel threaded for muzzle break or suppressor. Your Shoulder will thank you.
Cost??? Still waiting for a couple of gunsmiths to get back with me.
When could you buy barrels from Ruger? From where? I have been collecting and shooting Ruger rifles and pistols for more than four decades and never seen a hint of this.

I received a reply from Country
Custom Metalsmithing on converting a 375 Ruger to 416 Ruger.
I have contacted a couple of other gunsmiths by email and phone with no reply. As business owner if you are not chasing work when plenty of work, you won’t have any work when things slow down.

Looks to be around $1800

Barrels are $388
Fit and chamber- 416 Ruger- $425
Muzzle threading- $100
Fit and install front sight and sling band- $150 (combined)
Install rear sight- $50-$75 depending on of screwed or soldered.
Barrel band front sight- approx. $150
Barrel band sling swivel- approx. $90
Bed action- $175
Fit crossbolt- $50-$150 depending if you want ebony plugs or exposed bolt.
Crossbolt- approx $30
Plug sling hole- $25
Cut stock/ Fit recoil pad- $75
Recoil pad- Pachmayr- $42
Ouch

Might just have to go with a Ruger Model 1. I hate to go with a single shot but economically it might make the best sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClevelandV

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)