The Ideal African "Light Rifle", that is the Question?

If I'm hunting dangerous game I take my .375H&H Kimber Talkeetna, I had 4" of the barrel removed, the barrel re-tapered, it now weighs 6lbs 12oz without scope. For non dangerous game I take my .308 Kimber Mountain Ascent, with Leupold scope it weighs 5lbs 14oz. I'm lazy, I detest carrying heavy guns.

The question ends quickly if you're only going to take one rifle. At least if you're going to an area with big and ill tempered animals. And that means .375HH or bigger.

With 300gr bullets my .375HH is at least a 200 yard gun and with proper bullet placement, typical PG drop very quickly. And you're setup for any DG.

If going for PG only in an area with no DG, then the discussion continues. My personal opinion is with the wonderful bullet selection we have now (albeit sometimes in short supply), the difference in various PG calibers has been greatly muted. Anything from a 7x57 on up to .338WM and anything in between will work. My preference is for my M70 .300WM. But based on my experience I'd happily hunt PG with a 7x57, .30-06 and others. One caveat would be for Eland, I'd still prefer my .300WM for those big boys, but then I watched my son dispatch one with his .308 Win.

Well said Philip.

I have shot most of my PG with a 300 Win Mag and 200 grain TBBCs. Preformed very well on even the traditionally thought of “tuff” animals. Never an issue. This year I am going to bring my 30-06 as my “light” rifle for PG instead of my 300 win mag since hyena is in the menu and with the barrel being a couple of inches shorter imagine it will be handier in a blind. I’ll also be looking for kudu and maybe a zebra and have all the confidence in the world that a well placed 180 grain premium bullet will get the job done if I do my part.

Could I just bring my 375 H&H for everything including a buffalo, sure. That might be a bit easier but I really enjoy all my rifles and like hunting with each of them in the right circumstances. I will enjoy having 2 rifles on my hunt this year and any extra hassle will be outweighed by the enjoyment I get from shooting a buffalo with a “big or heavy” rifle and the other critters with the ‘06, if I am so lucky. To each their own though but at the end of the day everybody should do what brings them the most enjoyment of their hunts.

Of course you may run afoul of regulations on dangerous game with a 340 Weatherby, I find it interesting as a reloader that according to Nosler,(reloading guide 7) The 340 Weatherby pushes a 300 grain Accubond out the barrel at 2726 fps at max listed load, whereas, the venerable 375 H&H tops out at a meager 2600 fps, Begging the question, which is truly more versatile? Out of my .340 Weatherby, I chronograph 3401 fps shooting 180 grain Accubonds at 1.0 grain under max load.
that is really really fast for 180 gr. seems it would wear out your barrel rather quickly,

There are diminishing returns at some point with ballistics. You have to push a lot harder to get a little faster and at what cost or ROI? I don't need a bullet going that fast when every shot is under 200 yards or much closer.

that is really really fast for 180 gr. seems it would wear out your barrel rather quickly,
That concern is valid but I don’t shoot a lot of rounds yearly through it. It’s not really a bench rifle, Maybe half a box every year. It’s still very accurate and I’ve been shooting that same load for deer and elk out of that rifle for about 30 years. Shooting the Barrel out of a 340 Weatherby requires a real commitment.

There are diminishing returns at some point with ballistics. You have to push a lot harder to get a little faster and at what cost or ROI? I don't need a bullet going that fast when every shot is under 200 yards or much closer.
I certainly would agree it’s more than the minimum necessary for those ranges. It’s very useful where It’s been used for most of my hunting which was wide open long range shooting in The Missouri River breaks In SD and MT. This is sighted in with a 300 yd zero. Shoots 3.4 “ high at 150 and is 8.4 low at 400. I call that MOMD or minute of mule deer. It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but works well for me.

I get that and agree with it. Very cool that you have been making that work for 30 years with 1 rifle. Depends on your environment as you said. I was thinking Africa when I wrote that comment. When I used to live in Alaska, we had a lot of big guns and Weatherbys that could chunk a bullet pretty flat. Good stuff.

@RR 314 I wish you luck on the no more rifles idea. I think at some point alot of us have said that. Now I just say if something comes in I will send something out. Hopefully will at some point get a smaller number of exceptional rifles. I can recommend the 458 B&M highly.

Real small
22 Hornet

Small
7x57 or 30/06

Medium
9.3x62 bolt (9.3x74 double) or 375H&H

Big Medium
404 Jeff or 416 Rigby

Large
458 WM or 458 B&M

Heavy
500Jeff or 505 Gibbs or 577NE Double

Pick one from each class and go hunt anything that walks.
Very good except for the Large catagory....

I get that and agree with it. Very cool that you have been making that work for 30 years with 1 rifle. Depends on your environment as you said. I was thinking Africa when I wrote that comment. When I used to live in Alaska, we had a lot of big guns and Weatherbys that could chunk a bullet pretty flat. Good stuff.
I’m 60 and Given all of the dozens of guns I’ve gone through over the past 50 years this one has been my favorite. It seems no matter what new rifle I intend to hunt with, I usually change my mind and grab that 340 that just fits me perfectly. Which gets back to my original point of it being arguably more versatile than the 375 H&H. Key word being “arguably”.

For those who can handle a 340 Wby, it's a pretty big stick. I would love to see a photo of the gun that has served you well for 30 years.

For those who can handle a 340 Wby, it's a pretty big stick. I would love to see a photo of the gun that has served you well for 30 years.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@ The Shootist, and the bolt is on the correct side. Good looking rifle.

One thing I learned with this over the years is that if you choose to shoot a light for caliber bullet, such as the 180 grain out of a 340 Weatherby, or any other larger bore rifle. You get tremendous performance and yet the recoil is substantially less than you might expect if you were shooting the heavier bullets in that same caliber.

@ The Shootist, and the bolt is on the correct side. Good looking rifle.
It is a unique rifle. It has a Hart Barrel and a BordonRimrock stock. I bought it used in a pawnshop from a gal who had no idea what it was. All she knew was it had sat on the shelf for to long.

@IvW Understand where you are coming from on the Large, I think that the 450 Rigby or 458 Lott would be a good choice but I only listed rifles that I have owned and have experience with.

Reactions: IvW
IMO, the 340 Wby is one of the most criminally underrated cartridges.
I agree. For some reason people expect that it’s a recoil beast but I find it more of a shove than a punch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicholeMom

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg