AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
us mexico alaska south africa
I am planning a trip to hunt in south Africa and then travel to Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana. several of which are malaria areas.
I have had experience with malaria medicine in south Africa before and it was less than pleasant. I am not very concerned about myself
but my wife and daughter are extremally susceptible to mosquito's! does anyone have recommendations for really good insect repellent?
Thanks in advance!!!

For mosquitoes I’ve had great results with Sawyers products. They have products with Deet, Picardin and one based on Permethrin. I’ve used the Picardin lotion and Permethrin spray which is applied to clothing. Both worked great. However, the clothing spray loses effectiveness after a few washings, so be sure to reapply and dry after each washing. I found out the hard way in SA and was bitten by just one or two ticks and got a case of African tick fever. No fun.

In addition to Permethrin treated clothing and DEET repellent, you might consider a vitamin B1 supplement. B1 is water soluble and supposedly changes your body odor to make it less attractive to insects.

The US military has done a lot of research into the matter. The science says Permethrin on the clothes for the crawlers and DEET on the skin for the skeeters. Ultrathon is the preferred DEET as it is a longer lasting formulation than plain DEET.

My personal experience says be sure to blouse your pants and tuck in your shirt- make it as hard as possible for the crawlers to bypass the treated clothes and find a way in. There is no shame in a head net, long sleeves, and gloves. I have no personal experience with one but Thermacell gets good reviews and an extra layer of defense won’t hurt.

A Permethrin-treated net for bedtime may be appropriate. And bug spray for the room.

Attachments

• doxycycline.pdf
    588.9 KB · Views: 60
This the best stuff in the world - 3m Utrathon It has been a life saver

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 8.11.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 8.11.15 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:
I always had good luck with Ben’s. It does melt some plastics so be careful.
1700447030189.png

Most studies indicate that picardin is as effective or possibly more than DEET. Picardin does not melt plastic, smell bad or feel greasy. DEET has been around for much longer. Permethrin sprays on clothing are easy to apply and effective.

Bullfrog Repellent & Sunblock

Sawyers Permethrin. Buy two bottles. Socks, pants (heavy), and outer layer shirts. I even did a little on my boots. No ticks for me, while the PHs were picking off som each night.

I never had a mesquite bite in South Africa and never used Deet. Never were enough mosquitoes around to be an issue. I always spray Permethrin on my clothes to include boots, socks, pants -all my clothes. My last trip, after night hunting (sitting in a blind for hours) I found a tick on me when I got back to shower. Already attached. At the crease of where my foot attaches to the front of my leg… You always need to check as best you can for ticks. I removed it with tweezers, scrubbed thoroughly with soap a couple times and disinfected with rubbing alcohol. I always bring 2 types of tweezers. It was a very small tick…

They would give us this @ work .. idk. However, still swear by it.
insect repellent.jpg

long pants and shirt for evenings outside, around fire etc
spray your room with doom or similar, especially under bed behind cupboards etc(mosquito like dark places) before u go for dinner etc and keep room closed with lights off
upon return after dinner your nights sleep will be pleasant and mosquito free

enjoy

Hey Kevin,
Just a FYI to keep in mind, we don't have any malaria down here in the Eastern Cape. Please feel free to send me a direct message if you need any info. Always happy to help.

Take care,
Marius

I am planning a trip to hunt in south Africa and then travel to Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana. several of which are malaria areas.
I have had experience with malaria medicine in south Africa before and it was less than pleasant. I am not very concerned about myself
but my wife and daughter are extremally susceptible to mosquito's! does anyone have recommendations for really good insect repellent?
Thanks in advance!!!
Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard lotion. The ladies will thank you! This is THE ONLY PRODUCT THAT WILL REPEL TSETSE FLIES!
Try malaria meds before going. Tough personal decision

For mosquitoes I’ve had great results with Sawyers products. They have products with Deet, Picardin and one based on Permethrin. I’ve used the Picardin lotion and Permethrin spray which is applied to clothing. Both worked great. However, the clothing spray loses effectiveness after a few washings, so be sure to reapply and dry after each washing. I found out the hard way in SA and was bitten by just one or two ticks and got a case of African tick fever. No fun.
Is it odorless?

long pants and shirt for evenings outside, around fire etc
spray your room with doom or similar, especially under bed behind cupboards etc(mosquito like dark places) before u go for dinner etc and keep room closed with lights off
upon return after dinner your nights sleep will be pleasant and mosquito free

enjoy
s-pdpxl.file.jpg
The DOOM!

This stuff kills everything, but do NOT put it on your skin. Permethrin on your clothes, Doom in your room, Bens on your skin and non plastic gear.

Is it odorless?
They make a skin lotion that‘s odorless. The Permethrin spray has a scent but not much. For Africa, I haven’t been as diligent about scent control as I am hunting white tails. I don’t think repellent plays much of a factor, so long as the wind is right. If the wind is wrong, I think game is perfectly able to catch the scent of a hunter, PH and a couple of trackers….repellent spray or not.

Nope, but this is much stronger than what most of us want to be exposed to. Treating your clothes and just a touch of insect repellent on your exposed skin will usually do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MayJason

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg