Advice sought (.358); I think I know the answer...

Tundra Tiger

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, SCI Alaska
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas)
A local wants to sell a Ruger MKII Frontier in .358 Winchester. It comes with 300 bullets, 150 pieces of brass, and 130 rounds. Asking price: $1400. I do not have the specifics on the ammo or components. I know the person. I am awaiting photos, but believe it's probably in pristine condition. He is a church member of ours and takes good care of stuff.

I probably need to jump on this, eh? It is a caliber I have always wanted.

Also: for where I live, shipping and FFL saves me 100-110...

What say ye AH brethren?

Last edited:
Are you really asking this question to a forum completely full of enablers? :E Rofl:

In my defense, for pausing: I should be paying for the Africa to US portion of shipping on last year's trophies this week. I am not independently wealthy. I am married. As of typing this and not having agreed to purchase anything yet. Oh, and I have a newly purchased pistol that will be here this week. :oops:

Buy it, of you you find yourself needing the money, PM me and I'll take it off your hands;)

In my defense, for pausing: I should be paying for the Africa to US portion of shipping on last year's trophies this week. I am not independently wealthy. I am married. As of typing this and not having agreed to purchase anything yet. Oh, and I have a newly purchased pistol that will be here this week. :oops:

Tell the wife it's for her, problem solved.

On an unrelated note, I am almost 40 and can never seem to hang on to women (no idea why).

Buy!

A local wants to sell a Ruger MKII Frontier in .358 Winchester. It comes with 300 bullets, 150 pieces of brass, and 130 rounds. Asking price: $1400. I do not have the specifics on the ammo or components. I know the person. I am awaiting photos, but believe it's probably in pristine condition. He is a church member of ours and takes good care of stuff.

What say ye AH brethren?
@Tundra Tiger
Those that have a 358 win usually keep them, those that don't have one usually want one.
Using Paco Kelly's loads it equals the Remington Whelen loads almost .
Don't listen to the nay sayers about it being a short range bush gun . Loaded with 225gn Sierra game kings it will shoot flat enough out to 300 yds. A nice 225fn or 250gn round nose will put a lot of hurt in a big animal.
@Rick HOlbert took his to Africa and had no problems on anything he shot. GRAB IT before it's to late
Bib

@Tundra Tiger
Ask him if you can go on a payment plan. You don't need another pistol just load pistol bullets in the 358.
Bob

Buy it, of you you find yourself needing the money, PM me and I'll take it off your hands;)
@Action Bob
You know if'n you but it you will never see it again. @Just Gina will claim it as usual .
But don't worry if you do get it we won't tell her. Promise.
Bob

If you buy it... I might have some 358 reloading supplies to sell you.
I'm probably going to let my. 358 go because as a family man I can't justify reloading for multiple odd ball calibers.
I'd hesitate to get back into the 358 world just because it's hard to find projectiles. I think a 338 Federal might be more practical. But at that point maybe a .308 ain't so bad. So I'll probably use my .308 Scout Rifle.

Just to take pressure off.... you could probably rebore a .308 later if you really want a .358

Last edited:

What say ye AH brethren?
Buy it!!!

My Ruger Frontier .358 is the most accurate rifle I own out to 250 yards... and I have taken more game with it than any other rifle I own. They are beautiful to carry and shoot. I also have an ultra rare M77 Mark II RLS Carbine in .358.
20190816_075947.jpg
20191119_121041.jpg
20210608_122741.jpg

If you buy it... I might have some 358 reloading supplies to sell you.
I'm probably going to let my. 358 go because as a family man I can't justify reloading for multiple odd ball calibers.
I'd hesitate to get back into the 358 world just because it's hard to find projectiles. I think a 338 Federal might be more practical. But at that point maybe a .308 ain't so bad. So I'll probably use my .308 Scout Rifle.

Just to take pressure off.... you could probably rebore a .308 later if you really want a .358
Nothing about the .358 Win is "oddball" and none of the reloading supplies are difficult to come by... any reloader can feed the .358 as easily as anything else.

Nothing about the .358 Win is "oddball" and none of the reloading supplies are difficult to come by... any reloader can feed the .358 as easily as anything else.
@hoytcanon
The good thing about the baby Whelen aka 358win is if you can't find brass a single pass with a 358 tapered expander in a 308 case ad you have cheap 358 brass
Bob

For the part of the country you live in, I think a 358 Win would be spectacular…

A bit much probably for a black tail (would still work well…you can’t kill them too much)… but great medicine for everything else you’ve got running around in dense brush areas…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MableWatso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani