470 NE non solid for elephant?

Pretty sure he’s chasing factory ammo rather than reloading, at least going by the first post.

This particular bullet is simply outstanding.

don’t start reloading to save money: you won’t. It will open a whole new aspect of shooting and give you access to a much wider world of projectiles. But you’ll only save money in the same way as you save money by buying $1800 worth of new tools and $500 worth of parts to fix something you could have hired out for $2000.

don’t start reloading to save money: you won’t. It will open a whole new aspect of shooting and give you access to a much wider world of projectiles. But you’ll only save money in the same way as you save money by buying $1800 worth of new tools and $500 worth of parts to fix something you could have hired out for $2000.
That is true for folks that don't shoot much... but if you SHOOT... and I do, then reloading saves a significant amount. If I didn't reload my options would be, cut my shooting by 80% or take up knitting... and have you seen the price of wool....

Attachments

• 470 Nitro Express Ammo | Bulk 470 Nitro Express Ammunition - AmmoSeek.com 2024.pdf
    610.5 KB · Views: 11
That is true for folks that don't shoot much... but if you SHOOT... and I do, then reloading saves a significant amount. If I didn't reload my options would be, cut my shooting by 80% or take up knitting... and have you seen the price of wool....
Fair enough. That’s the way it works for most people: don’t really end up spending less, just end up shooting more for the money spent.

At the price of 470 ammo, it wouldn’t take long to make it worthwhile, especially when you consider that the cost per shot includes the price of the rifle.

I think there would be a real market for (relatively) inexpensive practice bullets for big-bore rifles. PPU softs in 375 can be picked up for very little, but there’s really nothing in 423 or 470, etc other than premium projectiles.

Last edited:
I have the same rifle and use Woodliegh bullet, solids and soft shoot at the same point of impact, so when I went Elephant hunting I took 15 solids and 25 soft.

There are others, such as north fork and some of the African-made bullets that are also highly regarded but cutting edge appears to have bullets in stock. In 2024, the reality is that availability is going to drive a lot of decisions. The good news is cutting edge is regarded as either in the top tier or the single best solid.
Reloading International currently has North Fork .474 500 gr flat point solids (FPS) in stock, as well as cup points solids (CPS) and softs (SS).

This is not optional, you must use a solid. I’m guessing any standup ph whom you ask to use softs, of any form, on elephant, will cancel your safari immediately.

Solids …. you might want a side brain shot but are you prepared to pass if not offered one? What if you get charged?

Also, a solid is perfectly suitable for a side brain shot so even if that's the only shot you'll take, a solid is still the right bullet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ValGodfrey

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)