.416 swift a frame penetration test

A-Frames are good expanding bullets no doubt. I've had good results using them.

For the test to have validity, it needs a baseline for comparison and the media needs to be consistent for each test. I'd suggest all jugs be the same, all water and none with any ice makes the most sense. So if you do the same test comparing to a regular non-bonded cup and core and a monolithic solid and maybe a FMJ spire point you can truly compare each. With a consistent media, 6 mos from now or 6 years from now you or someone else 8000 miles away can easily duplicate the test with the same media but with a different bullet or a different variable like velocity and a meaningful comparison can be made.

Doing the same test in the same media with a few different bullets would be useful. You might try both a flat point monolithic solid bullet and a regular non-bonded cup and core expanding like a Hornady Interlock, both of same diameter and weight and at the same velocity. The problem with comparing all three will be duplicating the variable media you used with the A-Frame in the first test- the unknown mix of ice and water. Which demonstrates the importance of control of variables for such tests.

And even though we really don't use FMJ spire points for hunting, comparing the bullet track and penetration of the FMJ spire point to a good hunting bullet like the A-Frame or FP monolithic can also be enlightening. :)

I had considered testing other bullets as well later this summer. But at $100 plus a box, it's not really feasible for me at the moment

Fourfive8, your comments for for setting up a test comparing one bullet to another are perfectly valid. Papabear55's test just showed what the Swift A Frame fired from a 416 Remington Mag. is capable of doing. When I first joined AH, IvW touted the use of Swift A Frames especially when certain "custom" bullets were not available. Following his advice I used them in Africa. They are in fact one hell of a bullet.

What was the impact velocity? Curious minds want to know...

Great bullets. We use them exclusively in our 375 Weatherby and 416 Remington. I've gone to 570g TSX's in my 500 Jeffery. They just seem to feed a little better, expand well and definitely hold together. Both great bullets

416 Rigby 400g swift aframe out of a waterbuck, muzzel velocity 2327fps, this is from Norma factory load. 395.5gr retained weight.

20220829_163037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
300g A-Frame out of a 375 Weatherby. Still weighs 299.5g after hitting a brown bear at 13 yards in the right shoulder and penetrating it diagonally. Found in the hide of the left thigh. Great bullets

5NwQ1PZ.jpg
tcFDiRY.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Within the last two years I have moved to swift for all of my calibers except 6.5 creedmoor. Sierra game kings just shoot too damn accurate to change. The thing I realized after spending way too much time on this and other forums is that I cannot recall a time when someone reported a swift a-frame failure. Personally, I have seen Hornady, woodleigh and Barnes all fail to some degree. Thus I made my way to swift. Thanks for the report on the test.
Have seen a 470 recovered from a buffalo. The petals were broken off on one side. Not sure what happen, that is the only example I have laid my eyes on.

I do like the .509 caliber 570g TSX in my 500 Jeffery. The hollow point is big enough to ensure expansion (something I worry about with monometal bullets) and the fact that it was designed for the lower velocities of the 500 NE gives me even more confidence that it will expand. I had no doubt about it's ability to penetrate. On the two animals I've shot with it (450 lb feral hog at 10 feet, and cow elk at 225 yards) both were pass throughs with huge exit wounds. Of course one shot kills (a little over gunned) :)

Within the last two years I have moved to swift for all of my calibers except 6.5 creedmoor. Sierra game kings just shoot too damn accurate to change. The thing I realized after spending way too much time on this and other forums is that I cannot recall a time when someone reported a swift a-frame failure. Personally, I have seen Hornady, woodleigh and Barnes all fail to some degree. Thus I made my way to swift. Thanks for the report on the test.
I have to say that over the past 50+ years that I have been paying attention to these things, there are only two expanding bullets of wide use that I have never heard credible evidence of bullet failure with.

A-Frame and Nosler Partition.

Not saying either of these are the best choice for every application....but they always seem to work as intended/designed.

I have yet to kill anything with an A-Frame. I need to remedy that!

YMMV
:A Stirring:

Last edited:
I shot a big scrub bull with 400 grain Swift A Frame out of my 416 Rem magnum.
That was somewhere around 70-80 m.
Broke right shoulder. Went through lungs and exited the left shoulder,
No bullet recovery unfortunately.
I also use Woodleigh 400 grain hydros.

Judging by all the A-frame pics and post on this forum I’ve realized, if I ever get to Africa I’ll have A-frames with me lol.

Hands down the Swift A-Frame is my go to bullet in 9.3X62 and 375 H&H. Never had a failure to date.

OK, I'll be the guy that asks the dumb question. PapaBear55: Thanks for sharing your test. My question is, how did you manage to hit a target (in the bull no less) at 100 yards with all those jugs lined up in front of it?

Safe shooting

300 grain Swift A-Frame penetrated into 8 milk jugs. 2500 fps. point blank. I shot this a few years ago. Swift A-Frame is the perfect bullet.

I used Swift A Frames exclusively on my hunt this past fall.

.423 caliber 400 grain A Frame fired at a buffalo at about 50 -60 yards. Entered point of right shoulder, passed through shoulder, both lungs above heart, shattered the left shoulder and retrieved in the marrow pocket of the upper left leg. Massive damage. Retained weight 355 grains.
Buff 1 SAF.jpg

Second buffalo

Same bullet and load - single shot through right shoulder, lungs, above heart. Bull traveled about 10 - 15 feet and fell dead. Retained weight 382.4 grains.

SAF from Buff2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarylBerma

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,