What do you look for in a young Outfitter?

Experience is not as straightforward as one might think. Does the outfitter have 20 years experience or 1 year of experience 20 times? By that I mean. Has he hunted the same few properties in one province his whole career? Or has he hunted multiple concessions in maybe more than one country?

I’m personally comfortable with younger guys who are the product of Zimbabwe’s thorough PH licensing process….and the like.

Here in the US I’m more leary of young guys. Anyone who wants to call themselves a guide can have at it. The various “guides associations” don’t give me much confidence. A young, not very bright guide in Montana damed near killed me and @Jeff505 in an UTV rollover a decade ago.
I'm not surprised. Last I knew any Montana rancher could hang out his shingle as an "outfitter" without having to acquire a state license. On the other side of the mountains outfitters who worked Forest Service land had to not only be state licensed, but also had to bid for very lucrative use permits. And they had public competing with them for the resource. The rancher has the resource all to himself locked up behind posted fences and he is essentially regulated by no one. Buyer beware when shopping for outfitters in that state.

DERIAN, in a young Outfitter I look for the following:
1). References from both successful and UNsuccessful Hunters.
2). His “area” and the likely game quantity & quality.
3). His physical appearance - I want a Fat-Out-of-Shape SLOB, so that I can easily keep up with him. I’m unimpressed when some young “Olympian“ is constantly showing my how fast he can walk or climb a hill while I’m ready to pass out !!
Ha. You beat me to it. I was going to say “an orthopedic injury” so I can keep up. :)

Old or Young
1. Listen to your hunter and their companions. What they are saying and what they are not saying throughout the entire process. Before and after the hunt. Get a feel for the room.
eg. As a couple guys have noted, your hunters will likely not be Olympians. Accept it and work with it.
Answer your emails or WhatsApp ASAP. Folks in the first world are incredibly patient understanding people who accept delay in self gratification easily. :E Rofl:

2. Be honest, do not over sell anything. Sell what you have.
If there is a problem tell the client, and do your best to fix it, but don't BS.
eg. Quota change. Do not announce this after the client arrived. The owner changed the quota, on a whim, during one of my hunts and I have never forgotten that. Twelve pissed off hunters! That's what was earned. Want to guess how many referrals they got?
A recent experience I observed here on AH left some feeling like they were victims of a bait and switch. Quota change, out of the Outfitters control, but it changed the hunt THEY sold. Do not BS.

3. Decide on the product you are selling and sell that. Being all things to everyone is a risky recipe, inviting disaster. I have watched experienced Outfitters become rookies in a new country trying to expand operations and screw up, impacting their reputation. Not pleasant to watch.
You spend years developing a reputation and it can be blown up in short order.

I'll stop here.

The Bakkie, lodge and other amenities are obvious.
Keep everyone comfortable and safe and hunt their ass off providing "good value for money".

Good luck with your Outfit.

Last edited:
Old or Young
1. Listen to your hunter and their companions. What they are saying and what they are not saying throughout the entire process. Before and after the hunt. Get a feel for the room.
eg. As a couple guys have noted, your hunters will likely not be Olympians. Accept it and work with it.
Answer your emails or WhatsApp ASAP. Folks in the first world are incredibly patient understanding people who accept delay in self gratification easily. :E Rofl:

If there is a problem tell the client, and do your best to fix it, but don't BS.
eg. Quota change. Do not announce this after the client arrived. The owner changed the quota, on a whim, during one of my hunts and I have never forgotten that. Twelve pissed off hunters! That's what was earned. Want to guess how many referrals they got?
A recent experience I observed here on AH left some feeling like they were victims of a bait and switch. Quota change, out of the Outfitters control, but it changed the hunt THEY sold. Do not BS.

3. Decide on the product you are selling and sell that. Being all things to everyone is a risky recipe, inviting disaster. I have watched experienced Outfitters become rookies in a new country trying to expand operations and screw up, impacting their reputation. Not pleasant to watch.

I'll stop here.

Keep everyone comfortable and safe and hunt their ass off providing "good value for money".

I'm not one to dish out compliments, but that is some sage advice all the way, top to bottom.

Experience and/or longevity does not always equate to good performance. We found this out the hard way back in 1997 with a well known PH no longer in the industry. What I will advise, which is something I’ve adhered to in my own professional career is this: Do the right thing!

It really need be no more complicated than this. Sure, there are a litany of details that could be cited to adhere to, but I prefer to keep it simple, just do the right thing! None of us are perfect or infallible, but you can always give 100% and always be guided by the principle of doing the right thing and if you measure your decision making by this principle, you can never go wrong!

I feel you have a promising future. You clearly convey a strong passion for hunting and sharing your enthusiasm with your clients. You have chosen a noble profession, carrying on the tradition set before you, men of honor who chose a career as a professional hunter, with a true love and respect of the land, wildlife and people. Sharing this passion with your fellow hunters.

Perhaps this is exactly why the three of us booked with you for our 2026 Cape Buffalo hunt! We look forward to our return to Africa and sharing this experience with your team!

This question has been on my mind for a long time, there is many young Outfits out there as myself and knowing what we have and what we can bring to the table for our clients.
Yes there is good ones and bad ones, but the smaller majority does it for a living and we live and breathe hunting and making sure our clients have the best experience.
I also believe in experience counts a lot so my question is how do you as a client compare the young Outfitter with 10 years in business to the Outfitter that is 30years in business.

Will appreciate the feedback on this.
Kind regards
DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS
www.dksafaris.co.za
+27 60 369 6320
To me, passion and energy matter. I am 64 years old and in my industry I am known to still have both. Yes, experience matters especially with DG. But I will give you but one example. I have hunted with a very experienced outfitter who will not be named who did not put a lot in their effort after a DG I was after…I would have much rather have had a younger maybe less experienced PH who wanted to pursue my DG animal to the last day and light. Hope this helps

Old or Young

I'll stop here.

@BRICKBURN is a very wise man!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Safari business is not much different than any other. You get out of it what you put into it.

I am at the Drs. the moment. I ask the same question, do I want one with 10yrs or 30 yrs experience? Answer depends on the doctor.
Lon even fighting the big C, you still have such passion for what you do!!!!

I think this goes back to a couple questions others have asked 1) hunting with the same outfitter/area over and over 2) taking your PH with you on a hunt with another outfitter 3) what are you looking for in your hunt.

I’m in my mid 30’s and have hunted with guides and PH’s younger than me, the same age, and older. I personally like someone around my age or someone who’s been doing it in that area as long as I’ve been alive. I’m hunting for a new experience, new place, new species. I want someone who has that passion or someone who has the experience there to make sure i get the full experience. With specific regards to Africa, I ask about the area, species in that area that I’m targeting, and experience in that area. IMO a 25yo PH that grew-up there is going to know the animals better than a 50yo PH with 30 years of experience who hunts there a week or two each year and moves around.

The most important thing for me is getting along with the outfitter/guide/ph. If we can sit there and talk a while at the show, on the phone, or text and it’s like friends talking; that’s a good sign for me. It’s not always possible to meet your guide or PH before you hunt with them, but if you connect with your outfitter and talk to them a bit before I’ve found they normally try to pair you with someone they think you’ll connect with. Someone who will push you physically but not break you off. That said the best elk guide I’ve hunted with was a blind pairing. He was in his early 20’s. My outfitter (hunted with before) transferred me to another outfitter because I drew a super hard to get tag (0.1% draw odds) and his words to me were “if my son drew this tag, this is who I’d call”. I trusted him, let him transfer me (he’s not making money, the outfitter I’m hunting with is). That outfitter paired me with a really young guy that lived, ate, and breathed elk in that area. A few years later some big names have taken notice of him. Governors Auction Tag holders contact and book with him

Last edited:
Maybe u think its weird for another SA outfitter to answer but here gos
I consider nyself experienced +~20yrs now
Started the business and still running it and still PH when needed
Here are some good points i think helped me
Do not oversell
Do what you are good at
Passion
Honest
Do not lie or bullshit ever. Rather say i dont know and then educate yourself
If you dont sell elephant or leopars hunts and a client asks for one rather point him in the direction of another reputable outfitter that u know does those hunts well instead of trying to male a few bucks on top, cos when that hunt gos wrong its your problem
Make sure your staff are honest and loyal
Make sure your equipment is clean and reliable and working

Be yourself, have a sense of humour

These i would consider the basics

Do not oversell
Do what you are good at
Passion
Honest
If you dont sell elephant or leopars hunts and a client asks for one rather point him in the direction of another reputable outfitter that u know does those hunts well instead of trying to male a few bucks on top, cos when that hunt gos wrong its your problem

It is almost like there was an echo on the forum. LOL

(This is the exact type of thing I expect from good Outfitters and PH's. Simple honest answer in order to be helpful. ) (y)

Do not oversell
Do what you are good at
Passion
Honest

This is great advice.

If an outfitter tells me he doesn’t offer that hunt or doesn’t think he can provide what I’m looking for and tells me, they’re making my short list when it comes time to hunt what they specializes in/on. I’ll tell others I talk to, to look at them if they’re considering that kind of hunt. I know someone who does this values my journey/experience over the final outcome and wants me to have the best of both. Under promising and over delivering is a great thing.

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate all the great feedback and advice.

It was just a small thing on my mind for quite a while, after reading all the comments I understand better by seeing it from your side.
Thank you Gentlemen
Regards
DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS

I see @Mtn_Infantry already replied to this section, but I thought I would too. I’m glad you wrote it. I have a much higher opinion of outfitters who will make a recommendation over those who will offfer a hunt in an area that isn’t there’s or for species they don’t regularly hunt. There are a lot of outfitters selling everything and that really turns me away almost immediately. Recommending others shows more integrity to me.

Do not oversell
Do what you are good at
Passion
Honest

An outfitter has to do three things well:

1. Run a good business and that's complicated no matter what business one is in! This includes everything all others stated.

2. Have good people skills with introverts, extroverts, grumpy people, nice people, and every type of person in-between. Add to that getting along well with big spenders and those who can't afford even another cull animal. Finally, for gosh sake make sure any clients' wives are comfortable. Happy wife, repeat client! Happy clients will advertise for you for free!

3. Hunting and guiding skills. This one should be obvious and first in the list. I list it third because an outfitter won't be in business long if they can't master the first two.

I quoted Stuart Williams of @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS because he and his other PH's and staff have mastered these three things! Before hunting with him, another AH member and veteran of 9 previous African safaris in different countries told me they did everything right. My first trip there confirmed that. A year later I took my wife with me to @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS and we hosted my wife's sister, brother in law, and their two kids there over a long weekend. I could not ask for any better service!

These links are to a 2-Phase hunt report:

A. Kalahari Lioness Hunt with Rudi Nell of @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS as my second PH

B. Follow on hunt to above at @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS with hosting of wife's family:

Happy clients mean repeat business and great recommendations to their friends, i.e. free advertising!

Last edited:
I see @Mtn_Infantry already replied to this section, but I thought I would too. I’m glad you wrote it. I have a much higher opinion of outfitters who will make a recommendation over those who will offfer a hunt in an area that isn’t there’s or for species they don’t regularly hunt. There are a lot of outfitters selling everything and that really turns me away almost immediately. Recommending others shows more integrity to me.
I was steered to an outfitter to hunt klipsringer a few years ago as the people I booked with had them on their game list but the PH I had had never hunted one so he accompanied me to the other outfitter he gained some klippy experience and I got my klippy. They probably could have just winged it but they hooked me up to someone that had a good number of them and I greatly appreciated that.
When I first started hunting in Africa 10 years ago I wanted a real hard charging PH but now that I’m 60 I prefer a PH that hunts more with his head but I am still willing to walk miles tracking but maybe not miles to FIND the track. Age is not a factor as much as upfront experience especially if DG is on the menu.

First I would like to thank rare breed for his kind words of support.

Back to the original question 20 or 30 yrs. experience. I like to think we all have learned thru the years both from doing thing right and making mistakes.

If I was to hunt RSA which is must different than the rest of Africa I would want an well established out fitter with PHs mid 30s.

If I was hunting in Ecuadorian Africa I would want the oldest most experienced outfitter in that country, I would also want the most experienced.

Africa is not a country, I am no more qualified to hunt in places like french ecuadorial africa than the what I am assuming the young outfitter that started this thread.

Lon

I will chime in. Just be transparent. Also, being a good guy goes a long way. I booked with you after many, many offers not because you had the best place or best price but because I thought you and i could hunt hard together and have fun. I see this in my line of work too. I never want to be the low cost alternative, I want to be the best alternative. As far as young goes, I don't think it is about age but more building a following.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yinengyul5033

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.