What do you look for in a young Outfitter?

DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2023
AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.dksafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
This question has been on my mind for a long time, there is many young Outfits out there as myself and knowing what we have and what we can bring to the table for our clients.
Yes there is good ones and bad ones, but the smaller majority does it for a living and we live and breathe hunting and making sure our clients have the best experience.
I also believe in experience counts a lot so my question is how do you as a client compare the young Outfitter with 10 years in business to the Outfitter that is 30years in business.

Will appreciate the feedback on this.
Kind regards
DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS
www.dksafaris.co.za
+27 60 369 6320

Safari business is not much different than any other. You get out of it what you put into it.

I am at the Drs. the moment. I ask the same question, do I want one with 10yrs or 30 yrs experience? Answer depends on the doctor.

I have watched my daughter trying to start her own taxidermy business. It's not easy. Her girlfriend runs an outfitting operation about four hours away. We know how hard it can be to build a reputation.

Here's the areas I see that could cause problems. There are always clients that can never be pleased. Anybody with a reasonable ability to judge human character can smell those stinky buggers a mile away. They are FULL of themselves. Try to avoid clients who demand to be pampered and important. You will never succeed in fully satisfying them. Unsatisfied clients hurt business, especially when starting up.

Don't let clients go into the field under the influence. If they're not sober when it's time to leave, don't leave. Send them to the airport if they don't agree with that rule. Drinking in the field and/or being drunk while hunting is a big deal for some European clients. Just warning you. I think it is asking for trouble.

Make sure clients know what they're getting into. Your outfit may not be five star lodging and that's fine ... in my opinion anyway. My best times in Africa have been lodging with farm owners. Being a part of their family. Find clients who want to experience that at your operation. Leave the ones who want to listen to lions roaring outside the tent to other 30 year operators. Above all, don't promise clients something you can't deliver. Yes, hunting is always a crap shoot. Weather can go bad, animals don't cooperate, etc. But if the clients see lots of game and beautiful country, they can still go away with a good experience.

But there are, of course, clients who  must shoot something to be happy. The good outfitter will always have a plan B or C or D in case something goes awry.

In my opinion, the one aspect of your business that can hurt you the most is trophy processing. If you recommend a taxidermist, then you need to stand behind your clients if something goes awry. And things go awry all the time. Clients need to understand this. When the trophy finally gets to their end, they (or their local taxidermist) are pretty much stuck with what arrives. For this reason, I would suggest you avoid throwing your lot in with a specific African taxidermist unless you are prepared to go to bat for clients and make things right if (or rather when) trophies are screwed up. What can you do? That's a tough one to answer. But I can tell you it is the area of most dissatisfaction. That and shipping the trophies. Some of those forwarder thieves are really hurting the safari business. How can you make clients aware without hurting your own safari business? I don't have an answer. Hope you find one.

This question has been on my mind for a long time, there is many young Outfits out there as myself and knowing what we have and what we can bring to the table for our clients.
Yes there is good ones and bad ones, but the smaller majority does it for a living and we live and breathe hunting and making sure our clients have the best experience.
I also believe in experience counts a lot so my question is how do you as a client compare the young Outfitter with 10 years in business to the Outfitter that is 30years in business.

Kind regards
DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS
www.dksafaris.co.za
+27 60 369 6320

What does 10 or 30 years of experience mean?

Above all, as client I expect that I will be guided to the game, which is mainly done by the local trackers. I have to do the rest, especially to shoot accurate for a perfect shot placement. That's why it's more important to you as an outfitter how you choose your hunting area and the team, which may be independent of how long you are in the business. Sure, an outfitter with 30 years of experience, let's say practice and especially connections, can maybe better get a good area, but that can be the only difference to a younger outfitter.

A possible disadvantage to being new in the game is funding and equipment and redundant equipment. I assume you are in RSA and mostly operate in a farm environment. Operating in a bush environment require redundant everything from bore hole pumps, plumbing cruisers etc. New operators in a bush environment may only have 1 cruiser a trailer and some camp equipment. I know been there 25 yrs. ago.

Lon

Kind regards
DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS
www.dksafaris.co.za
+27 60 369 6320
DERIAN, in a young Outfitter I look for the following:
1). References from both successful and UNsuccessful Hunters.
2). His “area” and the likely game quantity & quality.
3). His physical appearance - I want a Fat-Out-of-Shape SLOB, so that I can easily keep up with him. I’m unimpressed when some young “Olympian“ is constantly showing my how fast he can walk or climb a hill while I’m ready to pass out !!

I’m in my mid-30s. I’d generally prefer to hunt with PHs closer to my own age. Choosing a younger outfitter though would depend on several factors and the country. The last hunt I did in South Africa was 2020 and I specifically looking for a younger outfitter. I wanted to hunt bushbuck as the primary species. I was looking for someone who took a smaller number of clients and knew the properties they hunted extremely well. I didn’t want an outfitter just farm hopping many different properties who had zero part in the management of properties they hunted. Speaking with references it became clear that the planning and during the hunt was very personal and I was looking for that as well. After I booked, I got regular photos of bushbuck during scouting and other hunts and I really liked seeing that enthusiasm. I had a great hunt, but I’d be hesitant to book higher value hunts with less established outfitters without a larger reference base. Too many young outfitters come and go in South Africa. I’ve also had my photos stolen and used for advertising with an outfitter I definitely didn’t hunt with. I can only assume because they didn’t have enough of their own but wanted to present a certain image. Outside South Africa on concession areas I’d be much more hesitant to book with less established outfitters. The financial risks to properly run and hunt concession areas are much greater. I’d likely choose a more established outfitter than a younger outfitter. Choosing a younger outfitter in South Africa, the primary things I’d look for are having a primary area and thorough knowledge of the management of it, honestly, and enthusiasm, but so many factors go into choosing a hunt and outfitter its difficult to put in writing.

Personality is important to me. The best trip in the world can be ruined by an obnoxious or annoying PH. I want a PH that's not only capable, but also fun to be around.
Yes, indeed. And go easy on the patronizing. A lot of us don't care to be around someone who is  too friendly = phony. But then some clients expect to have their apple polished at every opportunity. That's what they are paying the big bucks for. Not me. I'm paying to be in the field, seeing new country, hopefully lots of game. For me an overly patronizing PH in my face is a distraction.

My hunt this last July was with a relatively newer outfit and the three PHs my dad and I had been all late 20s to early 30s. I thought they were really knowledgeable guys who I could relate to quite a bit. I am only 22 myself so it was nice to have younger guys to hunt with. We could easily talk, joke, and shoot the sh*t as some say but as soon as we spotted a potential trophy then they were locked in. I truly enjoyed this dynamic where we could be chopping it up to totally dialed in on a stalk within a matter of seconds.
So I guess in conclusion if you are newer to the game but have good people skills and have that hunt drive then you are doing well in my book.

For me, it's personality. I am making the assumption that if I put in my homework the way I should the person is knowledgeable enough (the land, the animals, safety, firearms) about the things that matter. So it's how well I will get along.

I have said many times mine is a sample size of two, both with @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS. Wik and Colin Coetzee are both young and simply incredible. My first trip I hunted with Wik every single day, and there are not adequate words for how impressed I was and am with him. We hit it off on sooo many things. I did think the following by @HankBuck very funny: "3). His physical appearance - I want a Fat-Out-of-Shape SLOB, so that I can easily keep up with him. I’m unimpressed when some young “Olympian“ is constantly showing my how fast he can walk or climb a hill while I’m ready to pass out !!"

Well, Wik is a former rugby player and very, very much in shape, and around 30. I wanted that. I am sure if I was super slovenly and could barely walk, he'd have made it work anyway. But I told him at the outset "You just go, and expect that I am going to keep up." He did, and I did... mostly. I was grateful for that and for so much more.

This past time I hunted with Don Laaks, and he was even a better fit. Why? Don had every part of being a PH nailed down. The couple of things I appreciated even more about Don? He's a dad - we were able to connect that way; if you're a dad, you'll probably understand that. And I am VERY much a 'stop and smell the roses' type. For example, I really like birding. Don made our hunting days about the peripheral stuff, and birds and history and geography and more than just the hunting - which was exceptional anyway. I like that. I am a curious person by nature. Do I want to kill stuff? Yes. But boy howdy, there is so much more that goes into the success of any outing, whether here in AK or anywhere I go.

My apologies... that got long-winded. But for me? It's less about age and a lot more about personality. I did think Lon made a great point about the building up of assets critical to the running of a business - getting started with less versus being established and having more.

Not an exact answer to your question, but being young, you don’t need to start a race to the bottom to gain market share. Offer hunts where your clients will feel like they got their money’s worth, and your reputation will follow!

For me, it's personality. I am making the assumption that if I put in my homework the way I should the person is knowledgeable enough (the land, the animals, safety, firearms) about the things that matter. So it's how well I will get along.

I have said many times mine is a sample size of two, both with @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS. Wik and Colin Coetzee are both young and simply incredible. My first trip I hunted with Wik every single day, and there are not adequate words for how impressed I was and am with him. We hit it off on sooo many things. I did think the following by @HankBuck very funny: "3). His physical appearance - I want a Fat-Out-of-Shape SLOB, so that I can easily keep up with him. I’m unimpressed when some young “Olympian“ is constantly showing my how fast he can walk or climb a hill while I’m ready to pass out !!"

Well, Wik is a former rugby player and very, very much in shape, and around 30. I wanted that. I am sure if I was super slovenly and could barely walk, he'd have made it work anyway. But I told him at the outset "You just go, and expect that I am going to keep up." He did, and I did... mostly. I was grateful for that and for so much more.

This past time I hunted with Don Laaks, and he was even a better fit. Why? Don had every part of being a PH nailed down. The couple of things I appreciated even more about Don? He's a dad - we were able to connect that way; if you're a dad, you'll probably understand that. And I am VERY much a 'stop and smell the roses' type. For example, I really like birding. Don made our hunting days about the peripheral stuff, and birds and history and geography and more than just the hunting - which was exceptional anyway. I like that. I am a curious person by nature. Do I want to kill stuff? Yes. But boy howdy, there is so much more that goes into the success of any outing, whether here in AK or anywhere I go.

My apologies... that got long-winded. But for me? It's less about age and a lot more about personality. I did think Lon made a great point about the building up of assets critical to the running of a business - getting started with less versus being established and having more.
Tundra Tiger — just for the record: I’m NOT “super Slovernly” (although my Wife says I’m messy) and there was only one Guide I couldn’t keep up with - that was a Mountain Lion Hunt in Idaho and I “wasn’t even close” to this TriAthlete - up steep hills in 3 feet of snow…I was a hurtin pup and between the running Cat, Hounds, and psycho Guide - was happy they didn’t leave me behind on the Mountain side….plus we Never treed a Cat !! I found my TZ safari and chasing Buffalo 10-15 miles a day “easy walking” and less strenuous that’s any Elk hunt I’ve been on.. But the older I get - that will change

@HankBuck ... My SINCERE apologies sir: I did not mean for my response to say that about you, or about anyone at all. I found your response a humorous take is all, and it made me think of doing my best to keep up with my first PH. I have great respect for your contributions on here. I am actually a bit mortified that what I said could have cast aspersions on you however unintentional.

We all get caught up in life and it slowing us down at some point. I saw that with my grandpa for sure, over a life spent outdoors with him.

Rock on Hank, in whatever way you can.

@HankBuck ... My SINCERE apologies sir: I did not mean for my response to say that about you, or about anyone at all. I found your response a humorous take is all, and it made me think of doing my best to keep up with my first PH. I have great respect for your contributions on here. I am actually a bit mortified that what I said could have cast aspersions on you however unintentional.

We all get caught up in life and it slowing us down at some point. I saw that with my grandpa for sure, over a life spent outdoors with him.

Rock on Hank, in whatever way you can.
Tundra — I didn’t take any offense and rarely ever do — I kid around a lot and appreciate it when others do also. Feel free to take “a Poke” at Me anytime - keeps the threads from being boring!! While we are on the topic - I do believe it is the responsibility of any Hunter to show up in Camp in the “best shape” they are reasonably capable of. I work out all year long but will train extra hard getting ready for a hunt - extra biking, running, never let my weight fluctuate more then 2-3 pounds. I enjoy exercise and it has allowed me to hunt places that friends my age can no longer go (Thank God I have a Son in good shape that loves to hunt) I know at some point - age becomes a factor in what we can do or how “fast” we can do it - Hunt the tougher hunts Now, because someday you will be relegated to “stand hunting” and your physical condition will begin to “eliminate” certain hunting opportunities. I no longer hunt with some of my buddies because they can’t get 400 yrds from a road or walk up a hill.

Ten years as an outfitter can actually be quite a bit of experience. I have had the privilege of the company of many PHs and outfitters in African and around the world. I have had only a couple of really bad ones. One in Canada who upon my arrival a Mounted policeman met me at the small airport informing me my guide was in jail. My biggest mistake was I bailed him out and we went hunting. Another time in the early days of my first adventure in the Central African Republic my planned PH was extremely ill. He knew I was an experienced African hunter so provided a young Frenchman as an interpreter/PH. The young fellow tried to make up for lack of any hunting knowledge by being too aggressive with our pigmy trackers and they disliked him and were not trying hard at hunting. The icing on the cake, he was a scary driver. I finally paid him to stay in camp. The boys and I got along famously in good humor And I did the driving. My four years of high school French helped us limp along and we got a decent Bongo, a Sitatunga, and other Forest critters. I flew the sick PH out with me to a Paris hospital. I have out lived ten of my PHs.
if the PHs are good personalities, intelligent, and have good field staff who know the territory and game we usually get along fine. The clients job is to keep up , shoot straight, walk quietly and listen to instructions. Be patient and feel the animals will show up. You are there to enjoy the adventure. Not give advice.

It's a good question...with many good answers already given. I will add a few thoughts as I think the connection between client and PH is CRITICAL to the hunt being a good experience...and I'm not talking about the trophy quality taken...that's actually not the most important part of the hunt to me.

I'm looking for several things in any PH I hunt with. Are they hungry and passionate about the hunt? Do they hunt because they like it? That makes a big difference. I've seen guides that hunted like they were punching a clock at the warehouse and while I get it, I am not looking for that kind of transactional arrangement.

There’s so much to be said here but I take VERY seriously my own obligations to come forward as the best possible client…trained, prepared, ready to go physically and mentally. Also, this isn’t my world and I’m a guest in it. I need to come in calm, prepared and ready to go. I can’t expect everything to be explained to me. If you can just observe and be quiet, you will learn a lot about your PH, his team and what’s going on.

This is not all on the PH by far! I’ve spent way more time trying to help clients understand their job than I have talking to PHs because most of them get it. I think more clients screw up than PHs…but you asked.

You asked for advice so I will be giving some because I want to help clients and PHs to have better hunts and experiences. I'm passionate about that and have invested a lot of time in others in the hope that everyone can have a great experience in Africa (or wherever).

Another thing I’m looking for is a strong work ethic and flexibility to “make a plan”. I truly respect African PHs ability to make a plan when things fall through or don’t happen. This is one of the areas that African PHs really stand out. It’s their strength and reputation and well earned!

One thing I don’t want to see is the PH ripping on his team all the time. Hey if they screw up, that’s one thing but I don’t want to see a bunch of yelling and conflict. That’s private and shouldn’t be done around the client.

One more thought for now is I’m hoping to have a good connection with the PH and his team. I would like to leave as friends and a huge part of that is up to me. I’ve hunted with a lot of PHs and guides and most of them I would love to see again in the field or in my home. These are some of the things I’m looking for and advising others to look for also. The best trophies on any hunt come from the experiences you have with PH and their team. Animals are in second place to all of that.

Experience is not as straightforward as one might think. Does the outfitter have 20 years experience or 1 year of experience 20 times? By that I mean. Has he hunted the same few properties in one province his whole career? Or has he hunted multiple concessions in maybe more than one country?

I’m personally comfortable with younger guys who are the product of Zimbabwe’s thorough PH licensing process….and the like.

Here in the US I’m more leary of young guys. Anyone who wants to call themselves a guide can have at it. The various “guides associations” don’t give me much confidence. A young, not very bright guide in Montana damed near killed me and @Jeff505 in an UTV rollover a decade ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yinengyul5033

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.