Preparing for 1st Safari

Thanks, that is great info, appreciate it.
Safari Outdoors is a nice place to visit, however most hunts are from airport to airport and not even seeing any part of Pretoria or Joburg let alone visit hunting stores.

I think we are going to spend a night in a hotel in Robert to recover from the flight, might give us a chance to visit it

I still wouldn't depend on a store having the ammo that I needed.

Plus if they do have the ammo you will need to purchase a container to fly with your rifle case while you are inside of South Africa.

Nor other passengers that are in a hurry at the baggage carousel. My check bag went awol for several hours because another passenger mistakened my bag for his.

As another member mentioned in another post...mark your bag with a piece of bright colored tape, dye mark, etc. so you can easily identify it.
my checked bag is the most ugly fluorescent yellow so no way it can be mistaken

I still wouldn't depend on a store having the ammo that I needed.

Plus if they do have the ammo you will need to purchase a container to fly with your rifle case while you are inside of South Africa.
Good point about having to acquire an ammo container!

Good point about having to acquire an ammo container!

If he is just flying into Joberg and then departing for the hunting fields it really isn't needed, but if I was bringing ammo into South Africa I would still have one, just to keep everything in one place.

If he is just flying into Joberg and then departing for the hunting fields it really isn't needed, but if I was bringing ammo into South Africa I would still have one, just to keep everything in one place.
Flying anywhere from Joberg requires separate locked ammo case. If his outfitter picks client up at Joberg and he plans on leaving ammo there, then he would not need an ammo case. Flying from Joberg to Eastern Cape or Kimberly or Namibia etc would require an ammo case for any ammo bought in Joberg.

I'm in my late 50's as well

I took a .300 Win Mag on my first PG hunt to RSA. I also took a .375 H&H.

I took 6 animals with the .300 and 2 with the .375. If I had it to do again, I would have shot everything with the .300, because it had a 3.5-10X scope. I felt like I needed more than 5X to make well-placed 200M+ shots on the late evening Kudu and Gemsbok.

I like well broken-in, tan-colored Danner Lightweight II's. I also like Superfeet, green insoles, much better than the factory "insoles".

I try to stay in pretty good shape, but a fast hike of two miles 3 times a week for a few months should do the trick.

If you can talk to your hiking partner, or are not sweating, while you are hiking, then you need to pick up the pace!

Thanks for your input, I have been struggling with a scope selection for the new 300 wm. Everything seems to have gone to Long range precision in scope offerings. I like a scope that starts off at 2 or 2.5x and no greater than 10x. The only offerings I am seeing now such as a 1-10x are in the LRVP but their eye boxes are very narrow. Scope selection is proving more difficult than caliber or rifle selection.

Thanks for your input, I have been struggling with a scope selection for the new 300 wm. Everything seems to have gone to Long range precision in scope offerings. I like a scope that starts off at 2 or 2.5x and no greater than 10x. The only offerings I am seeing now such as a 1-10x are in the LRVP but their eye boxes are very narrow. Scope selection is proving more difficult than caliber or rifle selection.
I don’t know what you think of leopold scopes but they make a vx5 in 2-10, not sure of the options on objective lens but I have several of the vx series and work well for me.

The rifle that I took to Africa both times wears a Leopold VX3 3.5-10x40 scope.

I never felt under or over powered with it. It is also a great scope for hunting here in Colorado

Attachments

• VX-3i 3.5-10x40 Duplex | Leupold.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
My favorite for hunting in the $1k / 3-10 range is the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with Forceplex reticle. Capped turrets, but dialable if you need. I found the Illuminated reticle worthwhile also.

Or one of the various Swaros for something lighter and exceptional glass.

Hey all, first post on the site and very excited to do my first trip to Africa. I have read so many posts about calibers, bullets, and travel I think I am starting off right. New 300 win mag for the plains game and already in contact with travel express to get it started. So thanks for all the advice from other posts.

Here is my question. I am in my late 50's, how good of shape should I push myself to get into. First trip is to Limpopo area next year in June. Should be cool enough ( I live in Florida but hate hot weather) to enjoy myself. Also what type of boots should I plan on. I have a great set of boots for moutain hunting but not suited for travel. I would absolutely hate wearing those for 16 hours on a plane.

Look forward to your responses.
Our doctor sent us with a basic pharmacy so we could treat whatever we might have picked up. Lucky for us we were fine. Also, you might ask for something to make you sleep on the flight over. It is a long flight and airline seats not so comfortable. Where if Africa are you going?

I’ve got a Leupold VX6HD in 1-6 and a VX6 3-18. Same quality glass in the VX5HD. I’d highly recommend the 2-10 firedot. Also have a Nightforce 2.5-10x40. It’s a very tough and durable scope and would also recommend. However, you will be paying more for a holdover reticle - if you are not a fan of ‘precision’ scopes I think you’ll find Nightforce’s reticles busy. I like the firedot reticle better for general hunting.

I just bought a Blaser with 375 and 6.5 PRC barrels and am putting VX6HD 2-12 firedot and VX5HD 3-15 windplex on them respectively. I also own vortex PSTII and HST and think the Leupolds are better than the vortex and hit a sweet spot for price/performance compared to something like a Swarovski.

You will have no problems with guns through Heathrow. I’ve done it 5-6 times with Virgin Atlantic. Now British Airlines is taking guns. I’ve shot over a100 animals with a Leupold Vari-x ll 3x9 that’s 25 years old. Any hiking boot is fine. Merrill’s and the like. I do like leather, but I also know two PH that have shot hundreds of game animals in Flip flops and Converse high tops. Any shooting off sticks helps. You can buy just about anything you probably need in Jo’berg or Tambo airport if forgotten- converter plug, I phone charging plus and their cheap.
Take candy and a great attitude and everyone in camp will love you. Starburst and Jolly ranchers are really liked!!!!
I use to take a lot of stuff. Not anymore. Most places take credit cards. You can use the ATM in Tambo airport to get some Rand when you arrive for the places that don’t- biltong along the highway.
It’s a lot easier now! No worries when your not carrying all that cash like when I first went!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinVvw21

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.