Preparing for 1st Safari

swashington

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hey all, first post on the site and very excited to do my first trip to Africa. I have read so many posts about calibers, bullets, and travel I think I am starting off right. New 300 win mag for the plains game and already in contact with travel express to get it started. So thanks for all the advice from other posts.

Here is my question. I am in my late 50's, how good of shape should I push myself to get into. First trip is to Limpopo area next year in June. Should be cool enough ( I live in Florida but hate hot weather) to enjoy myself. Also what type of boots should I plan on. I have a great set of boots for moutain hunting but not suited for travel. I would absolutely hate wearing those for 16 hours on a plane.

Look forward to your responses.

Welcome and best of luck on your upcoming trip. Unless you are grossly overweight or out of shape, you will be fine if you just do some walking--at least a few miles a couple of times a week before you leave. I've hunted Limpopo 4 times and you will be doing a lot of walking and carrying your rifle. I wear Kennetrek hiking boots--light weight and easy to pack. Get a pair of gaters. too, as everything in Limpopo has thorns--even the grass. 300 winmag is great for everything you will hunt from warthog up to eland. I used 200 gr. Nosler Partition and Federal's Trophy Bonded Bear Claw ammo in my 300 winmag and it works great. Good hunting!

My first hunt was in the Easter Cape so I don't know what kind of terrine you will encounter but I tried to walk around 6 miles every other day and stopped by buildings that had stairs in them to use them for conditioning. I live in Colorado but a wet spring kept me away from the hills. As a fyi I turned 62 just after my first hunt.

Keep reading but one thing that I will emphasis is to spray your outer clothing down with Permithin. It can be found in most outdoor store such as REI, and Walmart. Don't forget to spray down the socks that you will be wearing also.

I hunt the East Cape in country that is typically more rugged than Limpopo (one year I did hunt north of Kimberly). I'm 71 and reasonably fit. Keeping up with my PHs has never been a problem.
20220826_170719.jpg
20220827_095153.jpg

I have worn these Eagle Trail Georgia Boots almost every day for three years. They are ideal for hunting South Africa winters. Fairly lightweight, tough, and I've never worn a more comfortable boot ... or shoe. They retail for about $160. I wear them on the plane. Wouldn't wear anything else.
71VwJhTQSiL._AC_UY900_.jpg

Last edited:
My first hunt was in the Easter Cape so I don't know what kind of terrine you will encounter but I tried to walk around 6 miles every other day and stopped by buildings that had stairs in them to use them for conditioning. I live in Colorado but a wet spring kept me away from the hills. As a fyi I turned 62 just after my first hunt.

Keep reading but one thing that I will emphasis is to spray your outer clothing down with Permithin. It can be found in most outdoor store such as REI, and Walmart. Don't forget to spray down the socks that you will be wearing also.
Right. African tick bite fever is no fun. Ask me how I know! Not necessarily fatal but it will wreck your hunt.
20220911_192024.jpg

Some great advice so far. Never heard of Perathrine and already looked it up, sounds like good stuff. Is there any issues with traveling with it?
Thanks also for the advice on the boots. Before I retired I walked more than 8 miles a day just at work. Worked in a shipyard on aircraft carriers. It was 2 miles just to the car and back each day. I learned the lesson of wearing good boots and taking care of the feet. Just dont know anything about the terrain.
What kind of gaiters do we need, ankle whole calf?

Search here for ticks. Treat your clothes here and good for multiple wash which most outfitters provide daily. First trip you will overpack. Use the outfitters pack list and you will be fine, several packing list on here also.

No worries on the overpacking, I am a minimalists, If it wasn't for the ammo I could go with no checked bag. Just a gun case. Now my finace, thats a different thing. We are going to kill animals on a honeymoon. God I love this woman!

No worries on the overpacking, I am a minimalists, If it wasn't for the ammo I could go with no checked bag. Just a gun case. Now my finace, thats a different thing. We are going to kill animals on a honeymoon. God I love this woman!
Sir I was envious of you reference first safari and I’ll be damned if you didn’t just rub salt in the wound taking your bride to be. My trips were great but yours Sir will be epic! Enjoy and congratulations.

Congrats on your hunt!

I would say not to sweat anything about your physical condition, but be clear/honest with your PH about what you can and can't do. I can just about guarantee he'll tailor everything about your experience to what you can do, and it'll never be even a tiny issue.

Footwear... I have some slip-on Cabela's shoes I really like; they are my daily work shoe. I used them on the plane - easy on, easy off. For hiking/hunting over there a member on here (@Doug3006) steered me in the direction of GoRuck MacV-2 boots. HOLY CRAP they were great!! It was like having air on my feet. I think the pair weighs something like 24 ounces total? I got mine used/like new for 70 bucks on eBay. I can't wait to use them over there again. I sure wouldn't go with anything heavy, like the boots I used to goat hunt here last fall (which were fabulous for their purpose).

Not my pair - this is a Googled image. But mine are this model and this color.

1708726804867.png

Good lightweight hiking boots for SA, non insulated, well broken in.
Smartwool socks, medium thickness (Scheels carries the actual smartwool brand.)

I had a good fitter at REI and ended up with a set of Lowa Renegades, a half size bigger than I initally asked for. Love 'em, but everyone's feet are different.
I wore mine on ze plane, boss! :) My everyday low top light hikers (Northface) went in my carry on for something in the evenings.

Enjoy the excitement of gearing up and know you will pack too much.
Exercise: Do some serious hiking or other cardio work. As much as you can fit in.

Most important, IMO Is practice shooting from the sticks - a bunch. Most does not have to be with the magnum.

Some great advice so far. Never heard of Perathrine and already looked it up, sounds like good stuff. Is there any issues with traveling with it?
Thanks also for the advice on the boots. Before I retired I walked more than 8 miles a day just at work. Worked in a shipyard on aircraft carriers. It was 2 miles just to the car and back each day. I learned the lesson of wearing good boots and taking care of the feet. Just dont know anything about the terrain.
What kind of gaiters do we need, ankle whole calf?
You just spray it onto your clothing and let it dry. It's good for a number of washings before you need to reapply it. You don't use it on skin. Take some bug juice with a high percentage of Deet for your skin.

Permethrin works. Just be sure you buy the mixture that is for humans.

Last year in Limpopo the two PHs in our camp were picking off ticks every night. (They are immune to tick bite fever, so no big deal - for them.) I had zero ticks.

I advise you to book an appointment with a Travel Health facility (also referred to as Passport Health). Mention tick bite fever as a concern. The gave me a prescription for Doxy - only to be used if bitten by a tick. Still have it.

They will get you up to date on the common vaccines, if needed, as well.

Like any other hunt, the better shape you are in, the more you will enjoy yourself. Buts that's also just good general advice. The Limpopo region is pretty easy from a physical standpoint. A great area, but its not physically challenging. They can actually make the hunt work for anyone. Don't stress about it.

Boots are a never ending discussion. Lots of opinions, all of which are valid. But in truth, anything works. I usually wear a pair of Merrill day hiking shoes, the very same shoes I wear around generally. Tall "hunting boots" are not required. Wear what you want and find comfortable; I have hunted with a PH in Zimbabwe that wears "flip flops." The key issue that I have encountered is make sure that whatever you wear, the boots/shoes/seekers are broken in and well worn. Blisters are one issue. The more important issue is that shoes that "squeak" will drive your PH nuts.

I've been to South Africa quite a few times and have hunted quite a few camps. 'Less is more' is my takeaway. Keep it simple, take a great attitude, be flexible (its Africa) and have a great time.

Hey all, first post on the site and very excited to do my first trip to Africa. I have read so many posts about calibers, bullets, and travel I think I am starting off right. New 300 win mag for the plains game and already in contact with travel express to get it started. So thanks for all the advice from other posts.

Here is my question. I am in my late 50's, how good of shape should I push myself to get into. First trip is to Limpopo area next year in June. Should be cool enough ( I live in Florida but hate hot weather) to enjoy myself. Also what type of boots should I plan on. I have a great set of boots for moutain hunting but not suited for travel. I would absolutely hate wearing those for 16 hours on a plane.

Look forward to your responses.
SWASHINGTON: welcome and you are going to have a great time in Africa. I was 50 when I went on an 11 day Buffalo & plains game safari in Tanzania and here was my prep: 1). Practice shooting the rifles you plan to hunt with. Once they are “sighted in“ (mine were zero’d .30-06 @ 200yrds and .470NE @ 75 yrds) practice from “hunting positions“, Standing Off Shooting sticks, Standing off hand, Sitting etc.. Be very proficient loading and operating your action (bolt etc..). I shot weekly for 3 months prior. Don’t practice too much - if you begin to develop a “flinch” (as I started to w/my .470NE, my shooting got “worse” until I reduced my range sessions then it got much better) shorten your practice sessions or limit the rounds fired…a .300 Win Mag is great but don’t over do it. 2). Be in the best shape YOU can be, it’s “your safari” and should be conducted to your pace but there is Never a downside to being in shape. I biked 10-12 miles a day 4x a week and walked a lot on weekends with light pack pak, but I always exercised year round and love it - I still picked it up a notch for 6 months before Africa. Once I got there We walked 5 to 12 miles a day for buffalo and while I was able to do it - some days were rough, I was glad for every mile I biked but I as still Not as “fit” as my PH…and thats OK - it’s YOUR hunt.
3). Bring “Imodium” it’s worth its weight in GOLD, I gave some to our Government Agent and he “Loved us for it”. 4). Boots? Bring 2 pair, (wear one on the plane) I used light hikers ankle high, goretex but never rained. Comfort is key, Wear your boots for months before you go - walking up and down hills and keep on for at least 6-8 hours some days. 5). Ask your PH for his recommendations on all gear - it’s still your decision but hear him out.

Thanks everyone, so much good lessons learned coming from ya'll that feel I am getting smarter everytime I log in here. Practice and exercise will be my two biggest goals. My fiance has never shot a gun in her life. I used to teach handgun shooting so I think I have this part covered. The ladies always seemed to listen better. She is so excited, it was my bucket list item but she is the one talking about it all day. Did I mention I love this woman!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taigo88poker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.