Music Enthusiasts?

Yngwie Malmsteen & Jason Becker were classically trained .. he is phenomenal.
No lyrics, solo project. Unfortunately, he got ALS in his 20's.

This is great .. @Rob404, etc.

Recognized by the Classical Community & his works redone.
Really enjoyed that,,I seem to pick up a Little Les Paul in his style

This is an interesting piece, as it was never finished by Mahler ..

This is probably well known. The whole score is an hour though ...
last Saturday I listened to a Puccini Opera which was never never finished before his death, probably the most famous aria in Opera from Turnadot,,,Nessum Dorma

Here ya go for some of my picks for the best of exceptional female artists. Representing Scotland, Ireland and Manitoba Canada. Sorry, no Taylor Swift iconography junk from me!

I can't pin-point it but my ear picks up similarity between Sweeney and Sande. McKennitt is a unique, complete package of vocal, instrumental, choreography and production. IMO, her Alhambra Spain concert stands alone as one of the best!

My wife sitting in the front seat with arms folded: “can we at least turn this down.”
My kids in the back seat, swinging arms and flying hair rocking out like a muppet concert. They also love Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel. I hope they never know what some of these songs are actually about. . .
IMG_9100.jpeg

Here ya go for some of my picks for the best of exceptional female artists. Representing Scotland, Ireland and Manitoba Canada. Sorry, no Taylor Swift iconography junk from me!

I can't pin-point it but my ear picks up similarity between Sweeney and Sande. McKennitt is a unique, complete package of vocal, instrumental, choreography and production. IMO, her Alhambra Spain concert stands alone as one of the best!

That was great, thank you .. no disrespect to anyone's taste, the Taylor Swift marketing, I don't understand, the popularity or specialty?
It's endless, even, Heart, Berlin, Bonnie Raitt, Maraiah,

Even Madonna, people may cringe. I may be preaching to the choir, but a lot of artists have studio musicians write the song, ie. Patrick Leonard did a lot of her material.

Last edited:
"The Meatles"
Love em or not, the amount of good songs/songwriting they did, in a short time. There's terrible musicians that write good songs. To the contrary, scholars/schooled musicians that can't jam with others "unless it's scored out in front of them" ?

1711406791612.png

sorry, "A Hard Day's Night" is on TCM.

One thing about music and really hearing all the complexity and subtleties involved as intended by the performers really requires a good sound system. Listening on a lap top, tablet or cell phone with a simple, small speaker does a gross injustice to good music. For portable/private use, good earbuds or earphones make all the difference. I carry corded ear buds in my pocket all the time. Buds or phones also allow me to adjust to best volume on the source device while blocking out a lot of the environmental noise. Also, most Youtube audio volume source is too low.

IMG_5389.JPG

Additionally, it's interesting to listen to different iterations of the same song by the same artist comparing concert recordings to various custom studio recordings.
This is a studio recording by Sande of the same song posted above that was recorded in a concert setting.

Last edited:
All more or less contemporary with the Rollings Stones, The Animals, CCR, The Who, The Doors, McCoys, etc. are mixed in memory from about 1965 through 73.

Here's the version of Paint It Black by the Stones that, as mentioned earlier, contains an element and source I can't ID. I think it is a later recording but not sure. Is this done by the bassist, purposeful string noise or is it a synthesized element added in studio? It's the rhythmic "saw" that becomes more pronounced at about 2:20. Curiosity bugs :)

All more or less contemporary with the Rollings Stones, The Animals, CCR, The Who, The Doors, McCoys, etc. are mixed in memory from about 1965 through 73.

Here's the version of Paint It Black by the Stones that, as mentioned earlier, contains an element and source I can't ID. I think it is a later recording but not sure. Is this done by the bassist, purposeful string noise or is it a synthesized element added in studio? It's the rhythmic "saw" that becomes more pronounced at about 2:20. Curiosity bugs :)

Laye'd up for a while, simply never had this much time to converse, enjoy. A good medium to listen through is great, Bose, Sennheise, your car! etc. I found a particular cheap over the ear headphones, I still swear by.

I left your op, question for someone else.
Everything is hard to tell, since recordings are remastered now, etc. I hear Mick humming the verse @ 2:20, layered. If this helps, or makes sense, when music is recorded in studio: Every vocal, guitar, etc is layered (the original recording is played over, 10 times) to give it depth/volume) it would burn holes in tape in the reel-to-reel years. Then pro-tools, computers, etc. came out. Imo took away organic sound.

Even live now, there is so much audio that's taped "lip synched", ie. to make it sound exact to CD.

Last edited:
Laye'd up for a while, simply never had this much time to converse, enjoy. I'll check it out, I remember your op. A good medium to listen through is great, Bose, Sennheise, your car! etc. Yrs ago, I found a particular cheap over the ear headphones, I still swear by.
Same here. The phones shown in the pic are a cheap Bluetooth set with great sound quality. :)

Well, it was Tuesday Afternoon. Now Evening has come to pass. The time of Day Doesn't Last. Evening has earned its Place Today, I'm tired of Working Away.

Evening Time to get Away .. "Til next Day.

Here's a selection by Loreena McKennitt... from Irish/Celtic-themed through the Eastern and multi-continent themes. She has self-produced all her music through her own label, Quinlan Road. This selection shows her diversity and exceptional talent. Except for the Quinlan Road "... Phrygian Sky" mix, I believe all the other video mixes are by third parties using various of her original works and performances. :)

Last edited:
That was interesting, I'd like to get back to that. There are some, imo good work from Enya. Someone stole my Watermark CD long ago, ..

We had second row seats in Baltimore for Anabel Sweeney and Celtic Woman not that long ago. Some of the purest sound ever created by anyone. And you are correct. Loreena McKinnitt remains one of the most unique artists in the world.

Mummer's Dance and Lady of Shalott are both on my long haul playlist.

We had second row seats in Baltimore for Anabel Sweeney and Celtic Woman not that long ago. Some of the purest sound ever created by anyone. And you are correct. Loreena McKinnitt remains one of the most unique artists in the world.

Mummer's Dance and Lady of Shalott are both on my long haul playlist.

Oh my yes! Anabel Sweeney, one of the greatest female voices--- period. That was a fortunate privilege- I'm envious :)

Also, impressive how McKennitt has been able to successfully incorporate so many unique, historical instruments into some of her productions. Today no one even thinks about or is even aware of many of them like the oud, qanun, gadulka, hurdy-gurdy, etc!

Last edited:
That was interesting,
Even movie soundtracks have been used as a white noise, or sleep .. Angelo Badalamenti, etc.

I think my concert days are long gone.
1711816691261.png

That "Night Ride Across the Caucasus" hit home, more to look into. many thanks.

I can't stand her voice so much, but I've ripped off Tori's writing ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteBal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.