Giraffe question from newbie

it's Kaokoland - zebra, giraffe, and springbok. I had wanted to add Kudu or replace w/giraffe potentially.
I’ve done that hunt too twice. That’s another area you can look over a large number of giraffe and take a really nice bull. Those 3 species are the animals you can reliably leave Kaokoland with. Eland and kudu there require some luck and aren’t on quota in every concession.

We were in kaokoland also. Got hartmans zebra, springbok, ostrich and giraffe. Saw gemsbok and eland also. Great place. Also saw cheetahs. Giraffe were everywhere. Your on 2.5 million acres broke into 5 diffrent concessions so it depends on what quota they have left as to where you hunt.

I’ve done that hunt too twice. That’s another area you can look over a large number of giraffe and take a really nice bull. Those 3 species are the animals you can reliably leave Kaokoland with. Eland and kudu there require some luck and aren’t on quota in every concession.
What were average shot lengths? Asking because I wonder if the ballistic trajectory of 8.6 blk is ideal for Namibian terrain?

What were average shot lengths? Asking because I wonder if the ballistic trajectory of 8.6 blk is ideal for Namibian terrain?
My first giraffe was maybe 60 yards and my second was maybe 100 yards. Most shots I’ve done on game in Namibia have been 150-300 yards. This last trip my final killing shot on a kudu was 410 meter so 450 yards or so.

it's Kaokoland - zebra, giraffe, and springbok. I had wanted to add Kudu or replace w/giraffe potentially.
I’ve hunted in Kaokoland 3 times with PH Louw Lotter of Jamy Traut Safaris. You will definitely see giraffe, zebra and springbok! It is an amazing place. Our shots there were between about 50-60 yards and out to 300. The majority were at around 100-150 yards.
Kudu are there, but can be tricky to find, the area is really, really big. I took the kudu in my avatar in Kaokoland.

+1 with @375Fox regarding waterburg, that is also a great place to hunt giraffe with a very high population.

Are you getting really good penetration with the 8.6? I’ve never shot that round and only read data online, it looks like it is only pushing about 900 ft/lbs of energy. As an archery hunter I know that shot placement works. I shouldn’t be critical without using the 8.6, so I’d welcome some education. What is the appeal of the round for hunting purposes?

Just purchased my own first hunting rifle and decided I had to go large enough caliber for a giraffe should I be unable to switch.
Went with a Q Fix 8.6 BLK will use sups.
Trying to decide on a scope now - I’m overwhelmed by options!
So is this on an AR10 frame? Can you legally TAKE that to the places you will have to go? I thought semi-autos were a big no-no over there.

@
Glad the OP asked the question as I’ve enjoyed reading this thread. I’m actually going back to Africa in 2025, this time Namibia. Won a hunt package in a live auction at SCI this year and it included a giraffe.

I’ll say I have been hesitant on whether or not I should switch it out for another game animal.

Just purchased my own first hunting rifle and decided I had to go large enough caliber for a giraffe should I be unable to switch.

Interesting reading tho everyone’s inputs on mounts - @Nomsag beautiful dark bull you had there!

Info on what’s possible, from skin to bones is helpful as it seems like a costly animal to mount as others have discussed.
@henandhunt
A 8.6blk wouldn't be in my list of cartridges for Africa for anything bigger than impala. They're a bloody big animal and I doubt that little 338 would penetrate much past the hide.
My outfitter had trouble with a 375 H and H. Admittedly using the wrong bullets so I would use something more than that 8.6blk.
Bib

Glad the OP asked the question as I’ve enjoyed reading this thread. I’m actually going back to Africa in 2025, this time Namibia. Won a hunt package in a live auction at SCI this year and it included a giraffe.

I’ll say I have been hesitant on whether or not I should switch it out for another game animal.

Interesting reading tho everyone’s inputs on mounts - @Nomsag beautiful dark bull you had there!

Info on what’s possible, from skin to bones is helpful as it seems like a costly animal to mount as others have discussed.
Hunt the giraffe and if they let you swap to something else and you see it, go for it. Take what the bush gives you.

Personally the 8.6blk wouldn’t be my choice of caliber to take to Africa but I think if you pick the right shot, I think you’ll be fine. I’ve been following this cartridge for a few years now, and I know it’s been getting a lot of pushing/promotion from certain people/crowds on social media. Most members on Africa Hunting probably aren’t the same crowd of those that have been following it closely.

I know some people that own an 8.6blk and love it (mostly in the Fix), and I know some who don’t care for it after owning/hunting with them. One of those in the don’t love it camp is someone who’s extremely in the know (owns one of the first rifles made in it). He absolutely despises the 8.6blk because of his personal experience hunting with it and he can shoot like a SOB. He has used the same gorilla ammo you mentioned out of the same rifle you bought. I know another person who’s a professional guide in Texas specializing in hogs at night. He swapped several of his set-ups away from that because he’s found bullets in the ground where the pig was stand. Literally hitting them and bouncing off. Wouldn’t have believed it, if I didn’t know what a killer he was. Both will take your money if you want one, but neither would recommend it.

One thing I’ve noticed following the round is, you don’t see where KB and the boys using the 8.6blk are shooting the buffalo and other big animals they kill. Personally I think they’re mostly taking quartering away, behind the shoulder shots. They’re likely ensuring they’re staying off the bone rather than the typical shot most African PH’s prefer to see right on the shoulder. A Lot of what KB seems to have been doing is cull hunting with a handful of trophies here or there for something specific.

Good luck on your hunt and can’t wait to hear your stories and write-up. Do you have any other hunts planned before hand with the 8.6blk?

So is this on an AR10 frame? Can you legally TAKE that to the places you will have to go? I thought semi-autos were a big no-no over there.
my gun is a bolt action.

8.6BLK is for AR-10’s and bolt actions. Same bolt face, same magazines. The parent case is 6.5 Creedmoor, which was trimmed down and necked up for a .338 projectile.

The Fix is a Bolt Rifle with AR type controls and parts. Sig has a Cross, Christensen makes something similar. Just a way to capitalize on the adult Lego Kit and parts people are sitting on

I’ve hunted in Kaokoland 3 times with PH Louw Lotter of Jamy Traut Safaris. You will definitely see giraffe, zebra and springbok! It is an amazing place. Our shots there were between about 50-60 yards and out to 300. The majority were at around 100-150 yards.
Kudu are there, but can be tricky to find, the area is really, really big. I took the kudu in my avatar in Kaokoland.

+1 with @375Fox regarding waterburg, that is also a great place to hunt giraffe with a very high population.

Are you getting really good penetration with the 8.6? I’ve never shot that round and only read data online, it looks like it is only pushing about 900 ft/lbs of energy. As an archery hunter I know that shot placement works. I shouldn’t be critical without using the 8.6, so I’d welcome some education. What is the appeal of the round for hunting purposes?

so because this would be my first hunting rifle, I wasn't crazy about purchasing something like a 375 that I dont think is very practical (for me) outside of African game... let's say something I can grow into, Texas whitetail or at the range for shooting. So that's when I started to explore options.

Initially I was considering 6.5CM, but wasn't quite sure that would be sufficient for a giraffe. When I went to a local event, Q guys encouraged me to shoot the 8.6BLK - after already hearing lots about it and seeing the African game animals KB was testing, I wanted to give it a shot.

Ultimately going with the Fix allows me to go from 6.5CM to 8.6BLK, even down to 308 which I felt the platform itself gave me versatility vs. buying a 375 just for the giraffe, which I may not even hunt. Still TBD. But from what Jamy had shared at SCI, shots are 150-300yds and that's what 8.6BLK is capable of. No intention to have a long range 500-600yd shots, isn't my focus at the moment.

From some of the videos I've seen online with penetration testing - such as few Gorilla Ammo have done: here's the 210g TSX , here is this is one of them

AP2020 has done a number of 8.6 videos which I havent even watched half of them.

Jim from Backfire has a pretty good video explaining his thoughts on 8.6BLK
one of the huge differentiators is the 1:3 twist driving the rotational velocity
and ideal cartridge for subsonic

Tactical Rifleman does a good job of explaining it too in this video
"With the 1:3 twist, supersonic rounds come out above 500,000 RPM’s with subsonic loads around 250,000 RPM’s. The high rotational velocity helps to deliver devastating terminal performance....The fast twist delivers violent expansion and greater wound cavities. For supersonic 8.6BLK they load the 210gr Barnes TSX projectile that was optimized for their loading standards. It has a muzzle velocity of 1970 fps out of this 12” barrel.:... it goes on further to explain diff loads in more detail.

Hunt the giraffe and if they let you swap to something else and you see it, go for it. Take what the bush gives you.

Personally the 8.6blk wouldn’t be my choice of caliber to take to Africa but I think if you pick the right shot, I think you’ll be fine. I’ve been following this cartridge for a few years now, and I know it’s been getting a lot of pushing/promotion from certain people/crowds on social media. Most members on Africa Hunting probably aren’t the same crowd of those that have been following it closely.

I know some people that own an 8.6blk and love it (mostly in the Fix), and I know some who don’t care for it after owning/hunting with them. One of those in the don’t love it camp is someone who’s extremely in the know (owns one of the first rifles made in it). He absolutely despises the 8.6blk because of his personal experience hunting with it and he can shoot like a SOB. He has used the same gorilla ammo you mentioned out of the same rifle you bought. I know another person who’s a professional guide in Texas specializing in hogs at night. He swapped several of his set-ups away from that because he’s found bullets in the ground where the pig was stand. Literally hitting them and bouncing off. Wouldn’t have believed it, if I didn’t know what a killer he was. Both will take your money if you want one, but neither would recommend it.

One thing I’ve noticed following the round is, you don’t see where KB and the boys using the 8.6blk are shooting the buffalo and other big animals they kill. Personally I think they’re mostly taking quartering away, behind the shoulder shots. They’re likely ensuring they’re staying off the bone rather than the typical shot most African PH’s prefer to see right on the shoulder. A Lot of what KB seems to have been doing is cull hunting with a handful of trophies here or there for something specific.

Good luck on your hunt and can’t wait to hear your stories and write-up. Do you have any other hunts planned before hand with the 8.6blk?
hey there, thanks for the detailed response here! My intention for my original post wasn't to hijack this OP post, though I can relate to the questioning/title/etc. as I am still a newbie for African game.
Original intent was to share that I was also new, appreciated the OP asking the question as I wasn't sure all what was possible for a giraffe as far as taxidermy, trophies, etc. goes.

It was interesting to learn from others their experience, cost conversation, what to do/not to do with the taxidermy so I'm going into this better educated and really deciding if the giraffe is for me, or not.

I guess it turned it bit into a 8.6BLK convo, which wasn't my initial intent when I mentioned it. And yes, I'd agree re: your crowd statement & 8.6. hmm super interesting regarding those personal testimonials. and yeah you're right, much of what KB is doing is culling.

I'll def be writing it up - My South African hunt was published in SCI mag Jan/Feb edition - love to write and share. Besides a beautiful Nyala, I ended up with a banded duck - one in a million. epic trip.

I'm mainly a duck/waterfowl female hunter, so getting into rifles is a whole new world for me, I'm a newbie all over again. 2024 plan was 1) purchase my rifle and scope asap 2) start taking lessons and 3) getting a much shooting in as possible

Right now, no other hunts planned just yet, but many have said I need to do something prior.

I live in Texas so would be great to get connected to maybe someone that needs some hog hunting done, because I can't justify paying for a hog when they're so invasive.
There was a ladies hunt posted for later this year on a private ranch for exotics but man the pricing is more than African game it seems like!

Thank you. Appreciate your feedback, respectfully I can't agree with it all.

To answer your question on why this caliber - I've been following Q and Kevin Brittingham for a bit now and 8.6 is absolutely a capable hunting caliber for large plains game.
Thank you for the answer!
I think you are the first one on this forum to use this caliber on a safari.
Well, I guess, somebody always has to break the ice first.

I saw extensive list of species to hunt, will be reading your safari report with interest!

Thank you for the answer!
I think you are the first one on this forum to use this caliber on a safari.
Well, I guess, somebody always has to break the ice first.

I saw extensive list of species to hunt, will be reading your safari report with interest!
worst case, my PH has the 375 for backup :) but let's hope with the right ammo & shot placement we can get the job done! 2025 for results, so it'll be a hot min. Maybe someone will beat me to it.

yup. you have a lot of folks who are just not familiar with the cartridge, including those that say it's not a hunting cartridge which couldn't be farther from the truth.
I have a 6.5CM in the Fix and will have 8.6BLK as well - would need 2 scopes to be dialed in if I'm going to switch in between them - so intention was to take the 8.6
KB taking down multiple game - cape, eland, lion, leopard, kudu, hippo, crocs - all with 8.6

Absolutely agree on knowing your rifle & cartridge. still undecided on giraffe and would never do anything I'm not ready for.
Gorilla has some unique 8.6 ammo out now - pork shredder 342gr expanding sub, 285gr fracturing sub, and a few others

will def share more as this journey evolves with my Fix 8.6 BLK/6.5CM
Henandhunt
I personally don't think a 338 cal285gn bullet at 1,100fps and delivering less than 1,000fpe is adequate for big game.
But then what do I know I've used a 35 Whelen in rabbit. Not overkill by any means just no edible parts left. Hey it was dead
Bob

Henandhunt
I personally don't think a 338 cal285gn bullet at 1,100fps and delivering less than 1,000fpe is adequate for big game.
But then what do I know I've used a 35 Whelen in rabbit. Not overkill by any means just no edible parts left. Hey it was dead
Bob
1712034893509.png

With respect, and without any prejudice, judging by the table given, the ballistic drawbacks are following, in my view.
In Africa (speaking of Namibia, after my three PG safari) you can expect shots up to 200 meters, but shots up to 300 are not uncommon. I had shots just over 200 meters.
So, I would say, bullet drop is considerable, and will have to be taken into account. In the field this is liability.

Legal caliber limitations in Namibia:
Minimums allowed for various species are:
1350 joules (995 foot pounds) for springbok, Impala, Blesbok, Gray Duiker, Steenbok, Ostrich, Caracal, Black-Faced Impala, Red Lechwe, Damara Dik-Dik, Klipspringer, Black-Backed Jackal, Warthog, Cheetah, Nyala, Chacma Baboon, Game Birds, etc.;

2700 joules (1991 foot pounds) for Greater Kudu, Cape Eland, Oryx / Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Hartmann's Zebra, Burchell's Zebra, Giraffe, Sable Antelope, Roan Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, Leopard, etc.;

5400 joules ( 3982 foot pounds) for Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Lion, etc.

So, basically legal limits for Namibia set this caliber (8.6 blk) maximum up to smaller game.

South Africa has more flex caliber limitations.

I would strongly advise to discuss all details with your outfitter and PH, and choose wisely your hunting area and terrain (and country), which will allow you shots at closer range, or to consider PG safari from a blind, where an accurate shot at closer range can be taken with some reliability.

I understand that various laws do not follow advancements in technology, this round is designed just recently in 2022, and respective laws decades earlier

So, we are actually talking of introduction of something new into African hunting fields. And new technology introduction brings its own risks.

There have been examples of success and examples of failures with new ammunition's introduction to Africa. Most famous cases:

280 Ross (first worlds 3000 fps, flat shooting magnum), history has placed as failure on a dangerous game hunt, particularly lion, when after wounding a lion, a brother of then prominent British politician was mauled by wounded lion and died few days later. (mr gray and lion story)

As example of success: 7x57, in the hands of WDM Karamojo Bell, hunting ivory.

More then 100 years passed, and history, common sense, collective experience, and ethics has established by now some legal guidelines on caliber minimums.

So, thus, legal requirements not to be disregarded. As mentioned, I understand that legal requirements took in considerations many factors and knowledge of the time when laws were introduced, and certainly not latest technological advancements, such as slow velocity versus spin rate of a new bullet, but above are just some of my observations made in good faith.
And history records both: success and failures...

Last edited:
I have an 8.6, great round and the 1.3 twist is cool, but i will never take it to Africa, it's a deer round 200yds and under. The bullets are designed to expand and expand fast, and that does dump a lot of energy but will cost you in getting that bullet in the chest far enough. it will kill, but everyone can name a cartridge that will be better for the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GordonBees

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.