Elephant with a bow?

Dewald, I will defer to your opinion since you are either someone with detailed medical knowledge or the Best Bulls—ter on this forum. I will pose one question: Have any elephant been killed with an arrow 1). to a single lung and 2). died in less then an hour? If so, your argument is inconsistent with some bow hunters experience —- or is beyond my limited intellect
If one were to hit a significant branch of the pulmonary arteries it could certainly happen.
However, it’s kinda like shooting an arrow at a huge book-case size map of the USA that has been covered by a sheet and hitting one of the interstate highways.

Yes I happen to have detailed trauma surgery and ER knowledge.

Insinuating I am a bullshitter on a public forum is like water off a duck’s back from a faceless, nameless stranger.

I will answer you with a counter question.
1. Have any, and how many elephant, not died, irrespective of an hour time limit with a single lung shot?
DEWALD, oh, come on - are you really taking offense to my Post? did you miss the kidding/humorous way I commented on your knowledge and miss that it was in jest? I openly deferred to your medical knowledge as well above my own. Maybe they don’t crack many jokes in the ER…. Or maybe I’m just Not very funny ? (Possible). I just assumed that expert on Elephant anatomy would also have a “thick skin”. Hopefully there is no remaining trauma from my Post - I certainly did Not intend there to be.

I respect everyone's informed opinions, but many are uneducated on the lethality of archery equipment, granted my personal experience is limited to black bear, grizzly, elk, moose and other NA game, but the death sequence between an arrow kill and a bullet kill, all-be-it via different mechanisms, is not different when it comes to effectiveness... I have put down 1000 pound bull moose in 2 seconds without them taking a step, a 600 pound bear dead in 2 seconds without time to moan or flich when hitting the ground. You have to see the lethality in person to appreciate it. Again, I have zero experience with elephants, and they would require special equipment, special planning and due diligence with respect to their size and stamina, but I have no doubt that an archery kill would be lethal, humane and effective. JMO.
The issue is not about ability, its about „going wrong“! How many animals are injured and lost? Watching this „brave“ guys hunting for african dangerous game with bows there is always a PH with lots of Hellfire out of a big game rifle strolling around in the background for backup if the going gets tough!
Playing with nature and having the staying alive ticket behind me isn‘t fair never mention cultivated charakter, its playing with fire in other peoples house!!

There are so many posts here that stress “Humane, dignified, quick, minimal pain etc..” kills . That appears to be the point of contention and it’s difficult to come to consensus because “Humane” and like terms are a matter subject to opinion. I agree that no Hunter should be intentionally cruel or prolong an animals suffering - but any death-by-hunting is almost always LESS painful then death by nature, less suffering, faster, etc.. Death from a Lion, Hyena, starvation, old age etc…. Is prolonged agony. It is an unfortunate reality that most animal deaths by hunting will result in a certain amount of pain, stress, suffering but it will Not exceed that animals “destiny” which Nature had in store.
Says someone, who lives in a nice house with supermarket and medic centre next door!
What nature can do to humans can be seen in some TV shows, where some poor idiots trying to challenge pure nature for some says!

We are humans, but that does’nt mean having only rights, that means also responsibility for our society, habitat and the creatures living in there!
So spare me this nature crap while You support hunting the biggest game with inadequate equipment in Africa with Your words because nature is cruel anyway!

Sometimes I do have a feeling this Forum is for butchers, discussing killing noble animals the most cruel way and not like civilized hunters doing their best to fulfill a basic codex, a responsible and tidy hunter should actually have!

The issue is not about ability, its about „going wrong“! How many animals are injured and lost? Watching this „brave“ guys hunting for african dangerous game with bows there is always a PH with lots of Hellfire out of a big game rifle strolling around in the background for backup if the going gets tough!
Playing with nature and having the staying alive ticket behind me isn‘t fair never mention cultivated charakter, its playing with fire in other peoples house!!

Says someone, who lives in a nice house with supermarket and medic centre next door!
What nature can do to humans can be seen in some TV shows, where some poor idiots trying to challenge pure nature for some says!

We are humans, but that does’nt mean having only rights, that means also responsibility for our society, habitat and the creatures living in there!
So spare me this nature crap while You support hunting the biggest game with inadequate equipment in Africa with Your words because nature is cruel anyway!

Sometimes I do have a feeling this Forum is for butchers, discussing killing noble animals the most cruel way and not like civilized hunters doing their best to fulfill a basic codex, a responsible and tidy hunter should actually have!
ROSCH, obviously this thread & Post got you emotional and I think I get your point - Bow’s are inadequate for some game - Elephants being one. If you re read my Post, I never said ”Nature is cruel” - because Nature is neither cruel or kind, it is what it is —- the natural order of things. I did imply that Hunters should Not be cruel and by that I mean Not inflict unnecessary pain or suffering. I think that almost all hunting kills results in some pain to the animal but I also think that it is less then most deaths that wild animals will incur at some point. For me, taking an Elephant with either a bow or a rifle, as long as it’s legal, is acceptable and up to the Hunter and their PH to decide. Proper equipment, training, and skill should be evident before engaging in this type of hunt —- but that also applies to all hunting. I must say that I don’t agree with your comments regarding “this Forum is for butchers…etc.” I’ve been on here many times the past few months and am always impressed with the depth and quality of information posted and discussed - also the general acceptance of differing points of view and the civility of “debates”. Your thoughts may differ but those are mine.

I’ve been on here many times the past few months and am always impressed with the depth and quality of information posted and discussed - also the general acceptance of differing points of view and the civility of “debates”. Your thoughts may differ but those are mine.
Your thoughts are Yours… for sure. But they aren’t and do affect other people the moment You make it puplic!
I‘m always busy, giving youngsters or newbies to hunting issues good basics to enjoy and live a good hunters live with rules and regulations concerning fairness and culture while hunting!
Those rules are the power, which keep You away from wrong decisions and behavier out there in the bush! My rules kept me away from trouble and bad memories in my times in Africa! And I had great times feeling the african spirit from man and beast in those wide open spaces! Oh yeah thats quiet emotional!
In the old days the rifles couldn‘t be big enough, today with medic helikopters and satelite phone the calibres can‘t be small enough!
Or even with a bloody bow!
I‘m wondering when one is writing about his first Eland shot with a
.22 at 100 yards??!!!
And now we discuss „bow hunting elefant“ !!!!
Those discussions plant into everyone’s head the idea that out there in the bush anything is possible! No, its not! Those white hunters in the old days had to have rules to survive, we should have rules only to preserve, otherwise our children and grandchildren can‘t go hunting there anymore!
What headline would it be if an elefant would have been injured by a bow freak and trample afterwards a whole village to death?
A bleeding Elefant is doing things You can‘t imagine! So why discussing this nightmare anyway?

Your thoughts are Yours… for sure. But they aren’t and do affect other people the moment You make it puplic!
I‘m always busy, giving youngsters or newbies to hunting issues good basics to enjoy and live a good hunters live with rules and regulations concerning fairness and culture while hunting!
Those rules are the power, which keep You away from wrong decisions and behavier out there in the bush! My rules kept me away from trouble and bad memories in my times in Africa! And I had great times feeling the african spirit from man and beast in those wide open spaces! Oh yeah thats quiet emotional!
In the old days the rifles couldn‘t be big enough, today with medic helikopters and satelite phone the calibres can‘t be small enough!
Or even with a bloody bow!
I‘m wondering when one is writing about his first Eland shot with a
.22 at 100 yards??!!!
And now we discuss „bow hunting elefant“ !!!!
Those discussions plant into everyone’s head the idea that out there in the bush anything is possible! No, its not! Those white hunters in the old days had to have rules to survive, we should have rules only to preserve, otherwise our children and grandchildren can‘t go hunting there anymore!
What headline would it be if an elefant would have been injured by a bow freak and trample afterwards a whole village to death?
A bleeding Elefant is doing things You can‘t imagine! So why discussing this nightmare anyway?
ROSCH, you cite several points and I respect “tradition” and also the “feeling the African spirit” that you mention. I’m am Bow hunter as well as rifle, shotgun and trapper but I have No desire to hunt Elephant with a bow - a rifle would be challenge enough for me. I just can’t condemn others for doing so and even the “worst case scenarios“ you cite above (wounded “trample afterwards a whole village to death”) could happen with a rifle wounded elephant or even a rogue Bull. I do understand your previous point that Bow Hunters, always backed up with a PH & rifle, couldn’t complete their hunt with out the protection of that PH & rifle - but that applies to most rifle elephant hunts too. I am Not a minimalist - and don't try to see how “small a rifle” I can use to get the job done, I always want adequate to even slightly larger then needed. I don’t think you and I hunt much differently but I think I might tolerate hunters that hunt “differently then me” more then you do. Anyway, we may not agree and doubtful either of our opinions will change…thats OK

Sorry friend, your logic doesn't hold up to scrutiny. According to you, the ONLY way to hunt is the one that is the MOST lethal... ie, as an example a .500 Nitro... all animals MUST be killed with a .500 Nitro in order for it to be humane... No? So a .450 Nitro is OK? How about a .416 Rigby? What about .375 H&H? Oh, I see... there appears to be a sliding scale on what is humane and ethical. Guess what, archery equipment is on that scale. Here is the caveat to every single tool chosen to harvest game; the hunter must recognize the limitations of their equipment, the hunter must recognize their own limitations, the hunter must endeavor to insure that their equipment is in perfect working order, the hunter must practice with their equipment and know it's performance intimately, the hunter MUST say within these limitations in the field and recognize when circumstances are NOT ideal to make a humane one shot kill. The hunter must back off when circumstances or their own emotions make a successful shot unlikely. Notice I said "HUNTER" each time... we are all hunters, we should ALL respect each other and the game we pursue. We should resist projecting our BIASES on each other. We could also educate ourselves on the choices other hunters make BEFORE criticizing. For example, many rifle hunters have biases towards bowhunters, largely because they do not understand the mechanisms by which an arrow causes death, and how truly lethal it is. Most firearms users do not understand the concept of energy as it relates to archery. In short, bullets are made and designed to DUMP energy on target causing massive shock and tissue damage, arrows on the other hand are designed to retain energy and to continue slicing on a straight path slicing tissue and arteries to inflict massive hemorrhage. Both bullets and arrows kill cleanly, efficiently and ethically. You wouldn't use a .22 LR for Cape Buffalo, and you wouldn't use a 40 pound recurve with 300 grain arrows either. The right tool for the right job, employed in the right manner. Over everything else, respect for our fellow sportsmen. We police ourselves when we see something unethical... just be sure it isn't just your own bias.

I read a book, long ago, written in the late 1890's, from these two guys that went to Africa to hunt elephant with bows. One had a 200lb draw long bow, the other a 180 lb draw long bow. Their arrows were wood, probably about 1/2" in diameter. Steel broad heads. They both got elephants. I don't recall their names. Not sure I'd want to try it....I have enough trouble pulling a 70lb bow anymore. Would probably use my Lott. But these guys did it in the 1890's.

One of them was probably Howard Hill
And the other Bob Swenson

I read a book, long ago, written in the late 1890's, from these two guys that went to Africa to hunt elephant with bows. One had a 200lb draw long bow, the other a 180 lb draw long bow. Their arrows were wood, probably about 1/2" in diameter. Steel broad heads. They both got elephants. I don't recall their names. Not sure I'd want to try it....I have enough trouble pulling a 70lb bow anymore. Would probably use my Lott. But these guys did it in the 1890's.
JIM, according to a renowned archer & hunter from the 1930s “Howard Hill” he is credited in his book “Hunting the Hard Way” as being the first to kill an Elephant with a bow “without use of poison arrows”. I believe he accomplished this in the early 1950s and was drawing a 175 lb long bow. There is also some very old & poor video of this hunt as well as some recent controversy claiming that the Elephant may have been previously wounded by a rifle and “finished off” by Howard and his bow…not sure what the true full story is and likely neither is anyone else. But, he was an exceptional archer - skilled beyond almost anyone before or since and was revered by a more recent Archer & trick shooter “Byron Furguson“.

One of them was probably Howard Hill
And the other Bob Swenson
Tokoloshe, we might just admire the same archers?? I grew up hearing and reading about Howard Hill

Hank, I could well be wrong. I read this book 40 years ago, as a teen. My dad had it. I read Jack O'Connor's book about "The Rifle" or whatever it was called about the same time. I thought it was the 1890's, and these two guys basically used the equivalent of an old English Warbow. I do distinctly remember one was 200lbs draw and one was 180lbs draw. Next time I go to my parent's house I'll see if Dad still has that book. I've heard of Howard Hill, and I think I actually have a DVD somewhere of "Tembo" and yes, the video is horrible, but it's neat. I think I'd prefer a ballista :)

JIM, according to a renowned archer & hunter from the 1930s “Howard Hill” he is credited in his book “Hunting the Hard Way” as being the first to kill an Elephant with a bow “without use of poison arrows”. I believe he accomplished this in the early 1950s and was drawing a 175 lb long bow. There is also some very old & poor video of this hunt as well as some recent controversy claiming that the Elephant may have been previously wounded by a rifle and “finished off” by Howard and his bow…not sure what the true full story is and likely neither is anyone else. But, he was an exceptional archer - skilled beyond almost anyone before or since and was revered by a more recent Archer & trick shooter “Byron Furguson“.
Was also a small elephant.....

You are in the Jess trying to get a shot. The only shot you can take is the heart. You are there longer and probably won’t know where all the elephants are so the whole party is in more danger. Now add a tuskless cow or two. I can’t see how anything could possibly go wrong. Have at it but not me.

Growing up Howard Hill was my idol. When I had saved enough to buy a genuine Howard Hill long bow I thought I was king of the world. It was a long time before I worked my way up to its 80lb bow. 2 years ago I gave the last of my Howard Hill broadheads away (circa 1960s) my forgewood cedar shafts and my Howsrd Hill backquiver and arm guard. My bow was stolen a long time ago. No pins, no wheels, wires, release. Would I hunt a ele or buff with it today if I could? Hell no, I lnow what it is like to be on the receiving end of DG.

Lon

Was also a small elephant.....
IvW, that’s possible but it’s not like “Jumbo Shrimp”….still an Elephant

Howard Hill shot 3 elephants in the area between the Uele Uele and Simliki Rivers in the Belgian Congo. they were normal sizes though at that time there could have been some forest-savanah mixing going on. He also took a buffalo, two lions and a leopard (no rhino) as well as a fair sampling of plains game (interestingly including a forest hog). His heaviest bow which he used on elephant was 115 pounds his arrows were steel tipped custom aluminum 2024s the year was 1950. Bill Negley shot two what looked like forest elephant (smaller) in 1957 with Eric Rungren.

Howard Hill shot 3 elephants in the area between the Uele Uele and Simliki Rivers in the Belgian Congo. they were normal sizes though at that time there could have been some forest-savanah mixing going on. He also took a buffalo, two lions and a leopard (no rhino) as well as a fair sampling of plains game (interestingly including a forest hog). His heaviest bow which he used on elephant was 115 pounds his arrows were steel tipped custom aluminum 2024s the year was 1950. Bill Negley shot two what looked like forest elephant (smaller) in 1957 with Eric Rungren.
Lucask< interesting information - where did you get these details? I have Howard Hills book “Hunting the Hard Way” and the was a last minute addendum made just before publication to acknowledge his Elephant - apparently it was

And here I thought that wanting to bag a bull tusker with a .30-06 Springfield was a stretch….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrylFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.