.270 for plains game? Should I be scrapping it?

Turf the 270....especially with accubonds.....

My daughter, Kaniz‘s favorite rifle caliber is the .270 Winchester (she owns a BSA Majestic in this caliber). The 150Gr Winchester Super X Power Point factory load is all that we‘ve ever been using over the years. Not a premium grade bullet by any stretch of imagination (and certainly not one which you’d want to hit the heavy scapula/humerus/shoulder bone with) but she has successfully harvested every single species of African plains game with it (as well as a large male leopard on bait).

For eland and kudu, I would personally opt for no caliber smaller than a .30-06 Springfield (loaded with 220Gr bullets). But Kaniz has successfully taken bulls of both species with behind-the-shoulder heart-lung shots from her .270 Winchester.

150Gr Swift A Frames are the recommended ticket these days for hunting African plains game with a .270 Winchester.

The .270 Win was my very first big game rifle 50 years ago. Back then, 130 gr core-junk was about the only bullet option available if you did not reload and I shot many elk, deer and antelope with it.
Today, with so many great bullets on the market, I would not hesitate to put a 130-150 gr Barnes, A-frame etc in it to hunt PG.
Take it and enjoy a great hunt!

I’m going to go a different route than other suggestions. Absolutely, bring the .270, but go with the factory Federal Terminal Ascent 136gr bullet. IMO, this is by far a superior bullet to the Accubond, TSX, etc. Kudu are not as big or as tough as North American Elk, and the 136 is pure death to elk at normal ranges. In the last few years I’ve taken a mature kudu and elk with 200gr Accubonds and Terminal Ascents from my 300wsm. The TA’s performance was much, much better than the Accubond, even though the Accubond killed all 4 animals I aimed at in Zambia with 1 shot. My dad passed away in Dec. When I go back, I’ll either bring the .270, 7mm, or 300wby that I got from him. I won’t feel undergunned with any of those.

Last year, a friend of mine was going on a PG hunt in S.A. and was thinking of buying a 338 win mag. I told him he should take his 270 Ruger #1 that he has successfully hunted with for the last thirty years.
We worked up a load with 150 gr. Accubonds that consistently shot 3/4" groups. He was not after Eland, but bagged Kudu,Zebra Gemsbock,Impala, and warthog with one round each and great bullet performance, none recovered. Using a familiar rifle that you shoot well, trumps a bigger, unfamiliar magnum in my book and the 270 is enough rifle for plains game. I am a big A-Frame fan, but for the majority of plainsgame the Accubond is a great choice. If the OP has access to them and has a good load worked up, thats what I would use and not worry a bit!

@wildfowler.250 that is a nice Chinese water deer in your photo!

My kids and I have used a .270 Win in Africa on two trips. It worked well on PG including eland, neck shooting a giraffe, and multiple zebra. We used 130 gr barnes.
I agree with the above posts, save money, use the .270 and spend the savings on the hunt.
Have you hunted red deer in the UK? A .270 will work for them just like most PG.

I wouldn't even think twice about it, hunt with the rifle you have. Using a good bullet is always the right answer, not just to the OP's question about a .270, we would all say the same damn thing if he asked about any other chambering.

Just use a good bullet, shoot it in the proper place, have an awesome hunt.

On my first safari many years ago I used a 270 Win with Swift A Frame bullets and had no issues harvesting a few plains game species. So go with your 270 and save money for the hunt. I would support the advice from folks that have urged your to go with the 150 gr Swift A Frame. The Barnes TSK in 150 gr could also be an option.

@wildfowler.250 that is a nice Chinese water deer in your photo!

My kids and I have used a .270 Win in Africa on two trips. It worked well on PG including eland, neck shooting a giraffe, and multiple zebra. We used 130 gr barnes.
I agree with the above posts, save money, use the .270 and spend the savings on the hunt.
Have you hunted red deer in the UK? A .270 will work for them just like most PG.

Cheers folks! I will reply in full later when I can after work.

Realistically Eland isn’t really on the plans unless tags haven't been filled and one that’s ’too good to pass up’ comes out on the last day so to speak.

Biggest pain is going to be swift A frames. They seem in short supply even in the states? I may have to go 140 accubonds,(or 150 but I think they’re ABLR which aren’t the same).

I mostly shoot sika deer in the uk and it flattens them. They’re supposed to be tough but they drop the same as anything else. Shot a few red stags with it but mostly with the 6.5x55. I’d be amazed inside 250M if the .270 didn’t do the job but wanted to ask.

I’ll probably take my viper flex quad sticks with me. Use them quite a bit over here so stick to what you know!

Thanks re the water deer. They’re a strange one to hunt. I actually prefer muntjac in the woods to be honest but for either it requires a drive down south to England.

I love the .270 (I currently own three). :rolleyes: With a bonded core 140 or 150 gr it will easily take everything on your list. As everyone has noted, shot placement with anything is key.
Gee wiz...thats one large leap out of the closet o_O

Here’s a question folks. Planning a SA hunt for plains game next year or 2026. I’ve posted similarly on a uk stalking thread so apologies if folks see this twice but trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Really only going for plains game. Kudu, nyala, springbok , impala. With or without wildebeest / zebra depending on how the trip goes.
I will add, if it’s been a difficult week and an old eland walks out at 150 yards on the last day, I’d be open to it if you get me.

Now the guide/PH says shots are 100m - 200m average.

Is the .270 enough? I don’t massively want to change it for a .30-06. A new barrel on the sako 75 would set me back £1200 which is doable but it’s money I’d rather put into flights, taxidermy etc,(plus the small matter of getting hitched as well).

Really
1) is the .270 big enough. I’m not into long shots
2) will I have to go 150 grain? Probably?
3) how much hassle is it to import a rifle for the week? I’m not massive on borrowing rifles from a familiarity point of view.

Thanks!
It is easy to take your own rifle. Just follow recommendations like you'll get in my videos And in the Safari planning section here. No the .270 is not ideal IMO for Africa. You will be much happier with the results from a 7mm Mag and up.

Here’s a question folks. Planning a SA hunt for plains game next year or 2026. I’ve posted similarly on a uk stalking thread so apologies if folks see this twice but trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Really only going for plains game. Kudu, nyala, springbok , impala. With or without wildebeest / zebra depending on how the trip goes.
I will add, if it’s been a difficult week and an old eland walks out at 150 yards on the last day, I’d be open to it if you get me.

Now the guide/PH says shots are 100m - 200m average.

Is the .270 enough? I don’t massively want to change it for a .30-06. A new barrel on the sako 75 would set me back £1200 which is doable but it’s money I’d rather put into flights, taxidermy etc,(plus the small matter of getting hitched as well).

Really
1) is the .270 big enough. I’m not into long shots
2) will I have to go 150 grain? Probably?
3) how much hassle is it to import a rifle for the week? I’m not massive on borrowing rifles from a familiarity point of view.

Thanks!
WILDFOWLER: IF you can shoot that .270 “Accurately” it should be more then enough….AND if you can’t shoot accurately then Nothing will be enough. A well constructed 150 grain bullet might help give better penetration vs. the lighter 130 gr.
There would be very limited advantage in rebarreling up to a .30-06 and I think that’s a waste of $$ (although I love the .30-06 and prefer it to a .300 Win Mag for everything). I also like and use .270 and believe it is a very efficient caliber

30-06 or 270 is just fine but I still use a 300 Win. Mag.It just feel better to me.
GEMSBOK45: What “feels better” about the .300 Win Mag - the 30% more recoil for only 10% more power ? Ot that if the scope taps your eyebrow you get 10 stitches vs. 3 w/a .270? Now, I’m only kidding because by any actual “measurement” the .300 Win Mag is Superior and has a wide following - I’m just not one of them so “poking fun”.

A few years back I compared the energy of med size hunting calibers - for my purposes I chose to look at what cartridges would be sufficient for hunting given the minimum numbers I was looking for. I want a 150 grain bullet or larger at 1,500 fps for proper penetration and expansion on medium size game. Within the normal hunting ranges in South Africa (yes, I also realize there are many different scenarios and some areas may lend them selves to longer shots) I would argue most shots taken are under 200 yards, with the occasional 300+ possibility. So, what cartridges push a 150 grain bullet 1,500fps? Too many to list as most cartridges are well over 1,500 at 200 yards.
My point is most all cartridges will work just fine with a good bullet and proper shot placement. We like to overthink cartridge selection, argue the virtues of a 7x57, 270, 7-08, 7mm mag, 6.5, 300……
Grab some good bonded or mono bullets, practice off sticks and jump on the plane

A few years back I compared the energy of med size hunting calibers - for my purposes I chose to look at what cartridges would be sufficient for hunting given the minimum numbers I was looking for. I want a 150 grain bullet or larger at 1,500 fps for proper penetration and expansion on medium size game. Within the normal hunting ranges in South Africa (yes, I also realize there are many different scenarios and some areas may lend them selves to longer shots) I would argue most shots taken are under 200 yards, with the occasional 300+ possibility. So, what cartridges push a 150 grain bullet 1,500fps? Too many to list as most cartridges are well over 1,500 at 200 yards.
My point is most all cartridges will work just fine with a good bullet and proper shot placement. We like to overthink cartridge selection, argue the virtues of a 7x57, 270, 7-08, 7mm mag, 6.5, 300……
Grab some good bonded or mono bullets, practice off sticks and jump on the plane
Berettaco: You nailed it !

I’m going to go a different route than other suggestions. Absolutely, bring the .270, but go with the factory Federal Terminal Ascent 136gr bullet. IMO, this is by far a superior bullet to the Accubond, TSX, etc. Kudu are not as big or as tough as North American Elk, and the 136 is pure death to elk at normal ranges. In the last few years I’ve taken a mature kudu and elk with 200gr Accubonds and Terminal Ascents from my 300wsm. The TA’s performance was much, much better than the Accubond, even though the Accubond killed all 4 animals I aimed at in Zambia with 1 shot. My dad passed away in Dec. When I go back, I’ll either bring the .270, 7mm, or 300wby that I got from him. I won’t feel undergunned with any of those.

I'm not familiar with the terminal ascent. What was it about it that was better than the AB?

IMO the 270 Win is a great PG caliber. I have used a custom Mauser in 270 as a deer rifle for over 20yrs with fantastic success and only one notable failure which was due to my making a bad first shot and even that deer was recovered after a long tracking job. When I began planning my safari I discussed this subject with my PH and he steered me away from 270 and suggested I bring my 308 for PG instead. But, I already had a 308 that was identical to my heavy gun. In your case you do not. I would take the 270 with 150g TTSX or A-Frames and not look back. Just make sure it is accurate with the bullets you select.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondJar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.