.270 for plains game? Should I be scrapping it?

wildfowler.250

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Here’s a question folks. Planning a SA hunt for plains game next year or 2026. I’ve posted similarly on a uk stalking thread so apologies if folks see this twice but trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Really only going for plains game. Kudu, nyala, springbok , impala. With or without wildebeest / zebra depending on how the trip goes.
I will add, if it’s been a difficult week and an old eland walks out at 150 yards on the last day, I’d be open to it if you get me.

Now the guide/PH says shots are 100m - 200m average.

Is the .270 enough? I don’t massively want to change it for a .30-06. A new barrel on the sako 75 would set me back £1200 which is doable but it’s money I’d rather put into flights, taxidermy etc,(plus the small matter of getting hitched as well).

Really
1) is the .270 big enough. I’m not into long shots
2) will I have to go 150 grain? Probably?
3) how much hassle is it to import a rifle for the week? I’m not massive on borrowing rifles from a familiarity point of view.

Thanks!

For the animals you listed, a 270 is enough gun. I recently did a PG hunt using a 7x57 and there is not a lot of difference to a 270. If it were me using a 270, I would load some 150 Swift A Frames. Importing a rifle isn't too much of a hassle, but would suggest using a service like @riflepermits.com

Take a look at this article. A South Africa PG hunt using a 270, 130 gr Hornady ammo. A well placed shot resulted in a one shot kill of a blue wildebeest.

You’ll be fine if you use quality bullets and place your shots well. The 150 gr A-Frame mentioned above would be my choice.

Thanks folks!

Can I ask why the swift A frames are so popular on here? Are they a lead core?

Tend to be an accubonds man. I’ve seen good things about partitions but they’re hard to get here.

A frames seem to come up a lot though!

My last safari I used a 270 with 150 grain A frames - excellent results with everything up to and including Kudu. (Kudu, hartebeest, wildebeest, waterbuck) More than enough gun for what you are hunting. I would use it on eland - but wouldn’t suggest a quartering shot

Well that’s what I thought re eland although as I say, they’re not on the list but they’re not off it either.

I take it kudu / Zeb / wildebeest with 150 grain A frame quartering through the shoulder will be dead? I prefer a broadside but if I’m having to turn a lot of stuff down because of it then I’ll just have to go bigger

Thanks folks!

Tend to be an accubonds man. I’ve seen good things about partitions but they’re hard to get here.

IMO they are the premium bonded bullet in the market. They are a split core, like a Nosler partition, but much, much tougher. Deep penetration and +95% weight retention is the norm with A-Frames.

No need to push velocity on that .270 for a bush hunt. I have had incredible results with my 7x57 shooting 175 gr A-Frames at 2,300 fps.

.270 will be fine, but go for the heaviest bullet you can and use something that has v good penetration. Tsx and nosler partition are easy enough to get in the UK. I would be very shy of breaking shoulders on anything bigger than an impala with .270, having seen .308 and .30-06 not fully penetrate joints myself.

Importing the rifle is easy, but you must use a service to avoid clusters. Afton or Africa Sky are superb and will save you serious problems. Make sure your airline is fully in the picture about the weapon, and call any internal carrier yourself to book the weapon on connecting flights. Do everything at least 3 months in advance. All will be good.

I've done it from the UK a few times, so feel free to message me if you want to discuss.

Good luck!

You will be fine with good bullet placement as always and a quality bullet. Just be sure to take the shot your PH is looking for, especially on zebra. I took 15 animals on my last trip with 7x57 one shot each...duiker, hyena, 12 impala (leopard bait), kudu, etc. It was also my leopard rifle. No worries on the .270 within reason.

My preferred shot is near side heart and break opposite shoulder. Aframes do not disappoint and I never recovered a bullet. Took a near side shoulder shot on a hartebeest at 200 yards (that’s what I had to work with) - broke both shoulders with a complete pass through. My concern is not really caliber specific - if you have a quartering away shot where the stomach may come into play it is a different scenario than quartering to you.
A frames are my go-to bullet. If those are not available to you then I would consider a Swift Scirocco, Northfork or Barnes (TTSX).
Just my opinion - everyone here has their own experiences and opinions as well.

I'm biased against the 270 in general, only because I think there are calibers surrounding it that do things better. But my biases are irrelevant to your situation. What it all comes down to is your bullet really, really matters.

Many people above are citing the Swift A-Frame as the best choice for your gun. They are 100% correct. A 140gr-150gr A-frame is going to maximize your rifle's potential.

Plenty gun with bonded bullets for the animals on your list.
However shot placement for African animals is everything regardless of the caliber.
Don't forget you draw blood you pay.
Good Luck.

I love the .270 (I currently own three). :rolleyes: With a bonded core 140 or 150 gr it will easily take everything on your list. As everyone has noted, shot placement with anything is key.

My wife used a 270WIN on kudu in 2019 with Swift A-Frames.

The only animal I’d like more gun for is the zebra. They are wicked tough, but proper bullet placement will trump everything.

My wife used a 270WIN on kudu in 2019 with Swift A-Frames.

The only animal I’d like more gun for is the zebra. They are wicked tough, but proper bullet placement will trump everything.

Indeed. Zebras are tough. So are wildebeest. So are oryx.

People get themselves into trouble doing the classic "European and/or Elk Hunter" shot on plains game. Don't try to break the shoulders to anchor the animal. They just are too tough for that gimmick and it results in wounded game. Shoot all animals with a "bowhunters" shot either broadside or quartering away with a 150gr a-frame and they'll die just fine.

I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of the .270, since it was never designed to throw heavy-for-caliber bullets. I don't know why this bothers me, but there it is. However, it is one of the most used and successful plains-game cartridges out there. Go with 150s and never give it a second thought.

Good bullet and good shooting no problem. May be a little on the low end when you get to big healthy kudu and eland.

Thanks folks!

A-Frames are like Partitions on steroids! They work. Excellent weight retention.

1708966631111.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondJar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.