.270 for plains game? Should I be scrapping it?

Here’s a question folks. Planning a SA hunt for plains game next year or 2026. I’ve posted similarly on a uk stalking thread so apologies if folks see this twice but trying to get as much feedback as possible.

Really only going for plains game. Kudu, nyala, springbok , impala. With or without wildebeest / zebra depending on how the trip goes.
I will add, if it’s been a difficult week and an old eland walks out at 150 yards on the last day, I’d be open to it if you get me.

Now the guide/PH says shots are 100m - 200m average.

Is the .270 enough? I don’t massively want to change it for a .30-06. A new barrel on the sako 75 would set me back £1200 which is doable but it’s money I’d rather put into flights, taxidermy etc,(plus the small matter of getting hitched as well).

Really
1) is the .270 big enough. I’m not into long shots
2) will I have to go 150 grain? Probably?
3) how much hassle is it to import a rifle for the week? I’m not massive on borrowing rifles from a familiarity point of view.

Thanks!
Use it i did spring of 2023 used 140 Barnes tsx in a 270 Winchester 70 built in 1948 worked well

Thanks folks!

Can I ask why the swift A frames are so popular on here? Are they a lead core?

Tend to be an accubonds man. I’ve seen good things about partitions but they’re hard to get here.

A frames seem to come up a lot though!

I had great success with 180 AB's out of my 30-06. I don't understand why I need or would want 100% weight retention on PG/deer so an A-Frame wouldn't be my first choice. I like my bullet doing a little extra damage as it sheds some weight on the way through. AB's shed roughly 1/3 of their weight as I'm sure you know. I think the ttsx has the advantage of the 100% weight retention bullets because of the sharp petals when it opens properly.

Your list of probable animals aren't that large body wise so I would imagine the 270 would be enough with proper bullet placement a little behind the shoulder.
Zebra do tend to be built like tanks but I would think you would be fine. The eland is a different story. I've seen videos of some that just refuse to die even with much larger calibers.

Just make sure your PH is okay with whatever you bring.

Use premium bullets and well placed shots and you will be fine.. I would consider it a bit light for my taste but it will serve you fine if used within its capabilities…

A .270 wouldn't be my first choice, but I would happily hunt any plains game with one loaded with well constructed bullets.

It would probably make a better leopard rifle than most of the calibers that are required for DG.

Cheers folks! I will reply in full later when I can after work.

Realistically Eland isn’t really on the plans unless tags haven't been filled and one that’s ’too good to pass up’ comes out on the last day so to speak.

Biggest pain is going to be swift A frames. They seem in short supply even in the states? I may have to go 140 accubonds,(or 150 but I think they’re ABLR which aren’t the same).

I mostly shoot sika deer in the uk and it flattens them. They’re supposed to be tough but they drop the same as anything else. Shot a few red stags with it but mostly with the 6.5x55. I’d be amazed inside 250M if the .270 didn’t do the job but wanted to ask.

I’ll probably take my viper flex quad sticks with me. Use them quite a bit over here so stick to what you know!

Thanks re the water deer. They’re a strange one to hunt. I actually prefer muntjac in the woods to be honest but for either it requires a drive down south to England.
@wildfowler.250

In 2021 my son and I went to South Africa to complete the spiral slam. We shot everything including my son's eland with 7MM 168gr ABLR. In my mind not much difference between 277 and 284 diameter bullets. The ABLR is also a bonded bullet. The ABLR on my son's eland broke both shoulders and we found the bullet under the hide on the opposite side. I have also had a one shot kill on very large red deer stag with the ABLR bullet. BTW Nosler does make a 150gr Accubond in 270. If the 140 Accubond shoots well in your rifle go with it but I would not be concerned about using the 150 gr ABLR and the last time I looked Nosler had the 150gr ABLR in stock

My wife used a 270WIN on kudu in 2019 with Swift A-Frames.

The only animal I’d like more gun for is the zebra. They are wicked tough, but proper bullet placement will trump everything.
@BeeMaa
My son used a little 308 loaded with mono outer edge 149 grainers and didn't find zebera tough. He reckons red heartebeest is tougher.
We were there in 2019 but dang I missed you .
Bob

Replied on the other forum.
I made mention of the outfitters wife using a .25-06 on Kudu and that they are mounted on the wall.
I used a hire rifle for simplicity but certainly understand those wanting to use their own rifle as a part of the whole experience.
@CBH Australia
That's why I took my Whelen. I had it built just for that. Want any hassle but next time I would use a hire gun for ease.
Bob

Folks , I thought I’d just feed back into this,(haven’t been on in a while). It’s been interesting to see the different opinions. I think a .30-06 would be more versatile but both PHs use either a .270 or a .308 so that’s put my mind at ease a lot as well.

Cheers!
I don’t think there’s much difference between a .308 & .277 both are doing roughly
2800 fps with 150gr bullets and 3000 with 130gr

Well it is not African but I asked my Newfoundland Canada Moose Outfitter if the . 270 was enough for Moose and he said with a bullet like Nosler Partitions, definitely. So I guess it's good for all the animals you mentioned because that are about 1/2 the size or less.

I had great success with 180 AB's out of my 30-06. I don't understand why I need or would want 100% weight retention on PG/deer so an A-Frame wouldn't be my first choice. I like my bullet doing a little extra damage as it sheds some weight on the way through. AB's shed roughly 1/3 of their weight as I'm sure you know. I think the ttsx has the advantage of the 100% weight retention bullets because of the sharp petals when it opens properly.

Your list of probable animals aren't that large body wise so I would imagine the 270 would be enough with proper bullet placement a little behind the shoulder.
Zebra do tend to be built like tanks but I would think you would be fine. The eland is a different story. I've seen videos of some that just refuse to die even with much larger calibers.

Just make sure your PH is okay with whatever you bring.
This. The heavier for caliber makes no sense on plains game. Also tissue destruction is what kills an animal. Weight retention could hurt you on plains game. That is for deep penetration of thick skinned animals.

Lots of stuff gets confused around here.

Really
1) Is the .270 big enough. I’m not into long shots.

Yes, absolutely, positively...

2) Will I have to go 150 grain? Probably?

As others have noted, there are many bullets that will work. A buddy's sons used 150 grain Partitions on moose and brown bear with their .270.

3) How much hassle is it to import a rifle for the week?

Very little hassle at all, based on my two trips and taking two guns each time.

Pick a good bullet, take your .270, and have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohitgupta

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg