ZIMBABWE: Trip Report Zimbabwe Matetsi 2021

On the next day once again the morning hunt wasn`t successful for me. Late afternoon the situation changed. I was the first to spot a herd of zebras. We stopped the car and stalked them. It took a while for the PH to determine the correct animal. On the very left side a female was standing with fresh scratches and bites from lions. This was my target animal. I put the gun on the sticks and pulled the trigger. The TTSX hit her hard on the shoulder and after some meters of running away she fell
down dead.
As we reached the zebra the lions were already beginning to roar not too far away. Sundown started – we had to hurry. We left the main tracker with a gun beside the zebra and ran back to car. I think we arrived just in time to load the zebra before the lions would have arrived. There was almost not
even time for photos… everything had to be done quick!
2B4C4F13-EDDE-43BB-87FF-B7210C339D35.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The last day- at least that`s what we thought…
I was once again alone on the car still hunting for a good waterbuck. I think we almost drove to the far end of the concession when we saw a group of waterbucks with to males in it. One was a real old warrior: warn down horns, one even with a broken tip. We chased for several hours until the old boy was moving a bit slower than the rest of the herd. I took this chance and shot at him while he was still moving away from us at 180 m quatering away. In the shot he dropped an got up in the same second. I fired for the second time. The bull went down.
We walked to the buck- wow, exactly what I´d been looking for. Daggaboy Waterbuck…
5A69E639-25D9-431F-8222-6181F7EAC2A6.jpeg

The PH left the main tracker and me beside the animal and started to walk back in orderto fetch up the car. Suddenly the waterbuck started to move. The tracker and I was almost stunned looking at the animal. Unbelievable! The buck started running away. One more and last shot took rest of life out
of this animal…
An incredible hunting adventure was almost over. I would never have had thought that the African virus would hit me that hard. That was 10 days of free-range hunting at its best. Lots of DG and PG seen, hard and fair hunting, incredible land and people.
The next day we packed our luggage and were transferred to the airport. The lady at the check in informed us that the flight was canceled. OMG. Now we had a serious problem. The next option toget back home was in two days. Most of the camp stuff had left since this was not a permanent camp.
Fortunately, the PH and owner took us to Victoria falls where we bought some food and drinks.
2AB81215-5292-4FF7-BABF-DB927F5FD925.jpeg

Now we were able to stay two more days in the camp until we finally made our way home with stops in Botswana and Ethiopia.

It took only some weeks back home and I booked Zimbabwe once again. I`ll be back this October –same Outfit, same camp. But this time with my two oldest sons (9 and 12 years old). Can`t wait to be back and hunt with the kids and show them all the African beauty…

Great report, I am glad you are coming back with your sons.

Wonderful hunt, thank you for sharing it with us!

Great report and good hunting. Wmh!

I gotta say you had a great hunt. Both waterbuck and kudu had broken tips on their horns. 2 daylight hyenas is pretty special too. Thanks for the report.
Bruce

Well done, congratulations all around on a very successful first safari. Some very nice animals. Thanks for the write up and pictures.

Congratulations on a great hunt. I really enjoyed reading your report.

Agrarler, Thanks for the hunting report and photos. I'm looking forward to reading about your hunt in October with your sons. Be prepared for some warmer weather.

Agrarler, Thanks for the hunting report and photos. I'm looking forward to reading about your hunt in October with your sons. Be prepared for some warmer weather.
This trip was beginning of October too. Very hot and dry…
I hope my next report will contain stories about Eland, Sable and maybe some unexpected BG … :sneaky:

Great trip. Not sure how I missed it first round.

Great report - congrats on some fine animals!

Waidmannsheil @Agrarler ! Some excellent hunting and fine animals taken! Well done!

Excellent idea to bring your sons with you next year!

Counting the days the last weeks have been extremely long but finally the wait is over! Today we are departing. :giggle:
The bags are packed and the adventure can start. Hopefully the flights are as easy as expected and all the prepared documents fit to the current regulations.
With nothing unexpected happening we will arrive in the Matetsi camp on Sunday. We‘ll see what happens…;)

Counting the days the last weeks have been extremely long but finally the wait is over! Today we are departing. :giggle:
The bags are packed and the adventure can start. Hopefully the flights are as easy as expected and all the prepared documents fit to the current regulations.
With nothing unexpected happening we will arrive in the Matetsi camp on Sunday. We‘ll see what happens…;)
Excellent! I so look forward to following your trip, please keep us updated.

The PH told us that October would be the suicide month in Zimbabwe because of the dry and extreme hot days…
Hunted Zimbabwe November 2020, my god was it HOT. 3 days it hit 115, never again. Found it very hard to sleep, but the hunting was great and we took some good trophies.

Very nice
Looks great

The hyena looks amazing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehekheimhsish75

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?