ZIMBABWE: SOUTH AFRICA: ZAMBIA: The Traveler (Zimbabwe), Sunsets (South Africa) & Ant Hill Dwellers (Zambia)

Congrats and thanks for sharing! Look forward to more!

Fabulous Nathan! Let me know if I need to pick you up at the Nashville airport. We can just throw those old tusks in my truck. I’ll make sure you get them…..

Today we drove back to Victoria Falls where we would be staying two nights at the Pamarah Lodge. Rouan’s wife and daughter were able to fly up and spend time with us, which was great. The day of arrival we wasted no time and decided to head down and take the self-guided tour of the Falls. The mist rising from the water created a surreal atmosphere, and the sound of the cascading water was exhilarating. The water flow was much more than I expected during September.

The following day we had booked an all-day fishing trip with Joe, the owner of Joe’s Fishing Trips. So after a wonderful diner at The Three Monkeys restaurant, we heading back to the hotel for much needed sleep. In the morning it was time to hopefully hook into a Tigerfish or two.

Today was an exhilarating day on the Upper Zambezi River, we were greeted riverside by Joe. The weather and water conditions looked favorable to be out chasing fish. The best spots were around the rocky outcrops and near submerged boulders, where tigerfish tend to ambush bait fish. Casting near the rapids yielded hookups, as the turbulent waters stirred up bait. We all hooked up on Tigerfish but once hooked they start leaping out of the water and our landing rates plummeted, but we did get a few into the net. Rouan hooked into and landed a giant Nembwe and Joe kept talking about the size and fact he himself hasn’t caught one that size. After a very enjoyable day on the water, we dined at the Mama Africa restaurant, and we all were very pleased with the service and food.

The following morning, we had our flight out scheduled around lunch, so we all decided to enjoy breakfast at the Lookout Café, perched above the Zambezi Gorge. Once we were seated, we noticed there was a zip-line across the gorge which crossed right in front of the restaurant. It didn’t take long for my wife, Rouan’s wife and his daughter to notice the opportunity and decide to give it a go. Only this group of girls show up for a nice breakfast and decide to go ripping down a line across a gorge. Rouan and I were assigned the task of videoing and that fitted me just fine.

Next stop: Tsala's hunting lodge in RSA for a few days...TBC

PXL_20240908_123843957.jpg
PXL_20240908_124110619.jpg
PXL_20240909_042538481.jpg
PXL_20240909_042626589~2.jpg
PXL_20240909_050022996.jpg
PXL_20240909_055935608.jpg
PXL_20240909_133541695~2.jpg
tigerfish2.jpg
zipline.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 2: Sunsets (South Africa)

We had a couple days to spend in S. Africa before our departure to Zambia and wanted to go checkout one of @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS new hunting areas and camp. The drive led us towards Thabazimbi in the Limpopo province. About 3ish hours later we pulled up to the lodge. Beautiful layout that included a swimming pool and private cottages and large main lodge. After a great dinner it was off to bed as we would be out early looking for game.
PXL_20240911_122214161.jpg
PXL_20240911_122437573.jpg
PXL_20240911_110929597.jpg

The morning came fast and after breakfast it was time to load the truck and get to it. After a bit of cat and mouse a blesbok was spotted and Rouan and my wife attempted to close the distance. The approach was perfect as they closed the yardage which gave her a perfect shot opportunity.

SA2.jpg

After lunch and a quick siesta, we decided to go try and find a large impala. After looking over a few groups with smaller rams we came across one ram following an ewe that obviously looked heavy and wide. Once again, the stalk and shot was on point and down the ram went.
SA3.jpg

We were very happy to have had the opportunity to spend some time (even if it was short) at the new location. Food was great, hunting terrain nice and thick and the sunsets to die for.
SA 1.jpg

Next up….Zambia! TBC

Last edited by a moderator:
We all had our guess concerning the weight of ivory as they were thick and stubby, and everyone thought they would go over 45lbs for sure. Raphel felt due to the age of the bull he should have a short nerve but we all would have to wait until the tusks were pulled and taken into the parks to be officially weighed and stamped.

It wasn’t till we were in Zambia that I received a message with the picture of the tusks at the parks location along with the paperwork showing weight. 49lbs x 53lbs. Grand old bull indeed and an honor to have taken him quickly and cleanly.
Wow and congrats!! Great shot as well.

Absolutely grand adventure! Looking forward to “the rest of the story.”

Part 2: Sunsets (South Africa)

We had a couple days to spend in S. Africa before our departure to Zambia and wanted to go checkout one of @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS new hunting areas and camp. The drive led us towards Thabazimbi in the Limpopo province. About 3ish hours later we pulled up to the lodge. Beautiful layout that included a swimming pool and private cottages and large main lodge. After a great dinner it was off to bed as we would be out early looking for game.
View attachment 636154View attachment 636155View attachment 636152

The morning came fast and after breakfast it was time to load the truck and get to it. After a bit of cat and mouse a blesbok was spotted and Rouan and my wife attempted to close the distance. The approach was perfect as they closed the yardage which gave her a perfect shot opportunity.

View attachment 636156

After lunch and a quick siesta, we decided to go try and find a large impala. After looking over a few groups with smaller rams we came across one ram following an ewe that obviously looked heavy and wide. Once again, the stalk and shot was on point and down the ram went.
View attachment 636157

We were very happy to have had the opportunity to spend some time (even if it was short) at the new location. Food was great, hunting terrain nice and thick and the sunsets to die for.View attachment 636158

Next up….Zambia! TBC
Nice animals! Great impala !!!

Fabulous Nathan! Let me know if I need to pick you up at the Nashville airport. We can just throw those old tusks in my truck. I’ll make sure you get them…..
Much appreciated Mort, but somehow they would come up "missing".... :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrookeBich

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?