ZIMBABWE: Oct 24 - The adventure of a lifetime

Niklas

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I will eventually post about my experience (once it truly has started) but I have realized, with only a couple of weeks left, that I have some questions/need for input already in advance from the knowledgeable people on AH. I have hunted in Africa before but never in Zimbabwe nor for dangerous game.

Short summary of what we have planned, so far:

Timing:12 day hunt in Zimbabwe starting the 19th of October
Outfitter: Dalton & York Safaris
PH: Dalton Tink
Primary focus: Buffalo, Hippo, Tuskless
Hunting areas: Chewore and Omay

I have to start off by saying that it has been an absolute pleasure to plan and work out the details with Dalton during the past 18 months! Like everyone else, I did my due diligence and had great help from this forum to find the Outfitter/PH that would best fit my needs and preferences. Dalton has always replied back promptly (bear in mind that he is in the bush for a living) and has be extremely solution oriented everytime he or I have had a “great new idea”.

Some thoughts/topics/questions that I bet a lot of you have input on:

- Being a first time visitor to Zimbabwe - What should I prepare for / expect?
- Want usually gets forgotten or overlooked in terms of what one packs for the trip?
- First time DG hunt, Do’s and Dont’s?

More to come…

Take trinkets to give the staff, trackers etc. All of Daltons trackers smoke. But never around the hunter. They are very polite with smoking. Take a few cartons of cigarettes.

Be ready to walk all day if needed.

Good luck. I think you’ll really enjoy this type of hunt. It’s easier to say than do but don’t overthink it and trust your PH once there. Zimbabwe is a very easy country to travel to. My thoughts would be
1. Bring $30 USD cash for visa on entry
2. Discuss back up shots first day with PH so no surprises
3. Bring electrolyte drink mix to stay ahead on being hydrated. It can get easy to fall behind. Especially with October heat and a lot of miles walked in sun.
4. Bring quiet footwear. Hiking shoes are really loud for stalking close. Anything with a foam midsole really amplifies noise like crunching leaves.
5. I always bring superglue in case soles of shoes start to fall off, chapstick, a bug net, and a neck gaiter both for sun and mopane flies getting in your ears.

Great call on the electrolytes powder.

On a few of our stalks Dalton would pour some electrolytes into our waters. Take some electrolytes in individual packets. Dalton would appreciate you replenishing his supply.

I always take a small battery operated fan - helps keep you somewhat cooler at night. It will be HOT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whelen

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]